Eating nutritiously with medical limitations...

Options
Hi, everyone!
I had been doing REALLY well with eating healthy, and then wound up in the hospital last week. Not only am I having a bout of my Ulcerative Colitis, but I also was diagnosed with pulmonary embolism in my lungs (blood clots...) For a 23 year old, none of this is normal. I am on Coumadin, a blood thinner, for the clots.

Here is where I wonder how I can continue eating nutritiously:

- With UC, I have to cut out all corn products, nuts, anything with seeds (strawberries, sesame, etc.), and wheat. All of these things aggrevate the ulcers on my colon which can cause more bleeding. All of these were also staples in my diet before getting sick/

- With the Coumadin, I have to avoid Vitamin K high foods - so, leafy greens, spinach, kale... all of the good greens I counted on in getting in my diet.

Obviously I am having to cut out a lot and still want to get the nutrition, and have the options, I need.

Does anyone have to modify foods they eat regularly because of medlcal restrictions I'd REALLY appreciate some guidance.

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend seeing a dietician for this issue as it seems like you need to cut out a fair amount of foods, they would be able to help you out a lot more than MFPers as it is their profession, and MFPers would only be throwing out ideas and some may only be able to help you with one of the health issues you are experiencing.

I know someone with colitis and she says she can now only eat white bread - seeing as you're cutting out wheat I would suggest looking at GF options and looking at the ingredients and see what kind you can consume safely
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's disease but have relatively few dietary restrictions. One of my best friends has UC & has no dietary restrictions. Does your doctor say all people with UC should avoid these foods or just you, in particular? That's a brutal list of restrictions! That's one of the many things that are so frustrating about autoimmune disorders-no two people seem to have the same symptoms/experience.
  • hbarnes89
    hbarnes89 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have Crohn's disease but have relatively few dietary restrictions. One of my best friends has UC & has no dietary restrictions. Does your doctor say all people with UC should avoid these foods or just you, in particular? That's a brutal list of restrictions! That's one of the many things that are so frustrating about autoimmune disorders-no two people seem to have the same symptoms/experience.

It is a personal thing because of the severity of my flare. Normally in "remission" or a light flare I can eat whatever I want, but because this flare is pretty severe I really have to watch what goes into my colon. It doesn't make me worse per say, but it definitely aggrevates my colon and sometimes leads to a bit more bleeding... and since I'm on blood thinners the two don't necessarily get along.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options

It is a personal thing because of the severity of my flare. Normally in "remission" or a light flare I can eat whatever I want, but because this flare is pretty severe I really have to watch what goes into my colon. It doesn't make me worse per say, but it definitely aggrevates my colon and sometimes leads to a bit more bleeding... and since I'm on blood thinners the two don't necessarily get along.

I would maybe see if your dr can recommend a dietician that understands GI disorders, also see if there is a support group near you that may be able to offer advice & you will probably have to learn to make everything you eat, at least while you're in a flare. It sucks to be young and deal with this stuff. I was 30 when I was diagnosed...it's just downright unfair & frustrating beyond belief. I used to cry a lot when I didn't feel good because I ate something like an avocado...it's not like I smoke or drink or do anything wild-I do everything humanly possible to be healthy but sometimes my body just likes to keep me in check.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I agree with seeing a dietitian.

As far as the Vit K and Coumadin go, you don't have to necessarily eliminate all foods high in Vit K -- you just have to consistently consume the same amounts of food high in Vit K. For example, you can eat spinach, but if you eat it a lot, you have to keep eating it a lot. You can't eat a bunch one week and then none for the next two weeks. You will have frequent lab draws to regulate your PT (clotting time), so during that time, eat the amount of Vit K that you want to consistently eat. Make sense?
  • njneedtolose
    njneedtolose Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am curious with the blood clots in your lungs. Do you take birth control pills?
  • hbarnes89
    Options
    I am curious with the blood clots in your lungs. Do you take birth control pills?

I did. After a week of blood tests and ultrasounds of my legs, we have determined the clots were from the BC and I will never take it again.
  • hbarnes89
    Options
    I agree with seeing a dietitian.

As far as the Vit K and Coumadin go, you don't have to necessarily eliminate all foods high in Vit K -- you just have to consistently consume the same amounts of food high in Vit K. For example, you can eat spinach, but if you eat it a lot, you have to keep eating it a lot. You can't eat a bunch one week and then none for the next two weeks. You will have frequent lab draws to regulate your PT (clotting time), so during that time, eat the amount of Vit K that you want to consistently eat. Make sense?

Yes this makes a lot of sense and I just spoke with my doctor about it as well. I will be getting levels monitored at least once a week and she explained the importance of the consistency in Vit K. Thank you!
  • dazzo62
    dazzo62 Posts: 78
    Options
    I can only repeat - definitely seek professional help. Good luck to you and I hope that your health improves.All the best!:smile:
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Definitly talk to your doc and a nutritionist if you can.

But if it makes you feel better, I can't eat rice, corn, gluten, oats, tree nuts, peanuts or dairy products, and it does get easier as time goes on. You find the things you can eat, and work with them, and supplement where/when you need too.
  • newking
    newking Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone!
    I had been doing REALLY well with eating healthy, and then wound up in the hospital last week. Not only am I having a bout of my Ulcerative Colitis, but I also was diagnosed with pulmonary embolism in my lungs (blood clots...) For a 23 year old, none of this is normal. I am on Coumadin, a blood thinner, for the clots.

Here is where I wonder how I can continue eating nutritiously:

- With UC, I have to cut out all corn products, nuts, anything with seeds (strawberries, sesame, etc.), and wheat. All of these things aggrevate the ulcers on my colon which can cause more bleeding. All of these were also staples in my diet before getting sick/

- With the Coumadin, I have to avoid Vitamin K high foods - so, leafy greens, spinach, kale... all of the good greens I counted on in getting in my diet.

Obviously I am having to cut out a lot and still want to get the nutrition, and have the options, I need.

Does anyone have to modify foods they eat regularly because of medlcal restrictions I'd REALLY appreciate some guidance.

I had a lot of restrictions when I was on dialysis.

I couldn't eat a whole host of things, anything high in potassium or phosphorus. No greens really, no tomato, no potato, no winter squash, not peanut butter, little to no dairy, no orange juice, etc. etc. etc.! Add in type 2 diabetes and some conflicting restrictions ( kidney- no whole grains, diabetes- no white processed grains) and more. It was pretty intense but I figured it out and found some staple foods I could stick too.

Of course I would go see a nutritionist who knows what kind of restrictions you have.

I would also ask your doctor if they have a printout of low/med/high vit K foods. I know my doctor had all kinds of sheets made by drug companies to help you find foods that fit into your diet when you are taking a certain prescription or have a special restriction. They looked similar to this

http://www.sigadtest.com/phoslo/potassium_finder.pdf

and I would just tape it to the front of the fridge to help remind me what to but and what to avoid.