salad dressing ideas

Options
ashleyShades
ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
I love italian dressing but hate that it has a TON of sodium... do you have any ideas for me?

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    No matter the type of salad I almost exclusively go with a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar (good quality) and a teaspoon of Olive Oil (good quality).

I use to mix it up first (sometimes using dijon mustard so it would all "stick together" better). Now I just throw it on the salad as is and toss it all together.
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    No matter the type of salad I almost exclusively go with a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar (good quality) and a teaspoon of Olive Oil (good quality).

I use to mix it up first (sometimes using dijon mustard so it would all "stick together" better). Now I just throw it on the salad as is and toss it all together.

sounds good... I like dijon mustard as well so that might work for me
  • LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Kens lite Asian Sesame with Ginger & Soy.

edit...NVM I think the soy brings up the sodium content.
  • alikat2986
    alikat2986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Go to saladgirldressings.com and buy her salad recipe book!! She has salad recipes for every season with awesome fresh ingredients and a dressing recipe with each one!!
  • sharnut751
    sharnut751 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've been using organic salsa in place of salad dressing. It's pretty low cal and gives the taste of a taco salad. I spent a long time in the grocery store reading labels until I found one that wasn't too high in sodium but it was worth the extra time!
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    I make my own. It's super easy and you can control the fat and sodium. First, grab a clean jar with a lid. I recycle mini mayo jars just for this. Add a ratio of two to one vinegar and olive oil. So, two tbs vinegar to one tbs olive oil, etc. you can use any type of oil that you have on hand. I like rice wine, apple cider, or basalmic. You can change the flavors up really easily. Add some italian herbs, garlic, salt and pepper and a tiny pinch of sugar for a classic Italian. Or, add some ginger, garlic, and a little sesame oil and soy sauce for an Asian dressing. Finely chop some fresh tomato that's sort of mashed with herbs for a great tomato vinaigrette. Once you have your ingredients in the jar, put the lid on and shake really well. They keep for ever!
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    I bought a bolt house farms one last night and I want to find this one.

http://bolthouse.com/product/tropicalmango
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i've been using Bolthouse Farms Yogurt dressing also.... the salsa ranch is really good.
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    i've been using Bolthouse Farms Yogurt dressing also.... the salsa ranch is really good.

mmm I'll have to try this
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Balsamic Garlic Vinaigrette

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 Tablespoon olive oil
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice
    1 Tablespoon minced garlic
    1/2 Tablespoon honey
    freshly ground pepper

Put all ingredients in a jar and shake well. This is low calorie and low sodium, but still tastes really good.
    You can also add Italian seasoning if you like.
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    mmm
  • rel12345
    rel12345 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • duncabry
    duncabry Posts: 5
    Options
    Mayo type dressing . Greek yoghurt 0 %fat fage( small tub ) a little vinegar or lemon juice , a little salt pepper and sugar some dijon mustard . Add a little mayo if you want. Change the flavour by adding tomato sauce, or capers and gerkins.
  • KristenRidl
    KristenRidl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    My mom is awesome for throwing anything from her fridge into a blender to make dressings.
    Olive oil, Ginger, splash of vinegar.... list goes on
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    My mom is awesome for throwing anything from her fridge into a blender to make dressings.
    Olive oil, Ginger, splash of vinegar.... list goes on

yummy that sounds good
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    you can make your own vinagrettes pretty easy and there are a lot of combinations you can come up with.
    I usually just use a lemon or lime wedge to give mine a "dressed" feel, but my salads usually have a lot of other toppings on them to make it satisfying.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    A member posted this some time back and I have made it several times. Very tasty.

LIght Ranch Dressing

1 cup buttermilk (1%)
    ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (2%)
    ½ tsp onion power
    ½ tsp dried chives
    ½ tsp dried dill
    ½ tsp dried parsley flakes
    Salt/pepper to taste
    A few drops of worcestershire sauce

I use non-fat yoghurt instead of 2%. I also add the buttermilk a little at a time until I get the consistency I want. The whole cup makes it a little watery. This is best after sitting for a couple of hours to let the herbs moisten and infuse the mixture.
  • amperl8
    amperl8 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump for later