When should I start excercising?

Options
2»

Replies

• awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the Dr with chest pains! Let him/her tell you when to start exercising.

yeah, if you have legitimate chest pains when you exercise, go to the Dr. That's all you need to worry about at this point. You'll often see the "check with a doctor before starting an exercise regiment" listed on pretty much any equipment at a gym. Follow it. Go get checked out first.
    .Ditto. Your heart rate should not shoot up really fast either. Your doctor should do some test before you start a workout regimen.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. As far as seeing a doctor, don't worry I have. At first they thought it was asthma, which I do have, but inhalers weren't helping. Pulmonologist sent me to cardiologist, because he thought he "heard something funny" as I also have mitral valve prolapse, cardiologist dismissed the problem completely said to come back when I'm 50 :/. That said I still had this problem when going to the gym 5 days a week doing 30 minutes on the elliptical at a time, so I think it's more than just being out of shape. To the people who suggested weight lifting can you suggest any videos or resources for me to start with?

Dismissed it completely? I think maybe a second opinion would be in order. Just to be on the safe side.
    Yes. Please. Anyone that would completely dismiss a problem when you already know you have mitral valve prolapse... that worries me. I would check with another cardiologist. I mean, it's your heart.. you only get one... right? Why not make absolutely sure that there's nothing to be concerned about?
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You look like you are my daughter's age. My daughter is 13. If so, you shouldn't be on here. You need to find a place for people your age. If I am wrong, so be it. But I don't think I am.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Yesteray is the best time to start. Seriously. /Find something you like to do and do it. It doesn't have to be jogging or going to the gym. ' Do you like to dance? Go on nature walks with a friend or your dog? Roller skating? I started walking before i started seriously paying attention to my food. I couldn't even walk around the block. Really. I just did what I could and tried to add to it bit by bit. It was difficult at first for sure. The more I lost and the more I moved, the easier and more enjoyable it became. Now, I love going hiking w/ my hubs and my dog. Snowshoeing and hiking. We even walk or bicycle to the grocery store when we can. I never evrer thought I would like it. Why would I walk somewhere when we had two perfectly good cars.

It doesn't matter how you start or what you do. Just start now and do something.

Did you even read the OP or some of the other responses?
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    After reading your original and subsequent post, I wonder if you're not overworking yourself? Perhaps there is an underlying issue your doctors haven't found (they *are* fallible and do make mistakes!) but if your physician is aware of this and has no problem with you excercising, then it might be a good idea to start as soon as you can. Take it easy to start out; maybe just walk on the treadmill for a mile at a pace that feels comfortable to you (3.0mph is roughly a 20 min mile) and see how it goes? I personally think it's a smart move to incorporate strength training as well; again, start out small- if you're going to a gym, the weight machines can seem intimidating, but they're fun. Or you could start out with light free weights… google or youtube strength training workouts for beginners, there's so much out there!

Good Luck!!!!
  • lilynblue
    lilynblue Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey add me and shoot me a message! I'd be happy to talk it over with you and come up with some answers!

Really? Trust me, you should leave this alone. I am always worried when a 22 yr old male tries to lure an obviously too young girl into private conversation.
    [/quote

Haha I'm 23 and married, but I don't friend men on here.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Hey add me and shoot me a message! I'd be happy to talk it over with you and come up with some answers!

Really? Trust me, you should leave this alone. I am always worried when a 22 yr old male tries to lure an obviously too young girl into private conversation.
    [/quote

Wow, you do not look 23. No disrespect. I guess it is a mom thing. Sorry.
  • lilynblue
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments, they were very helpful! I think I will start something low intensity for now.
  • lilynblue
    Options

[/quote

Wow, you do not look 23. No disrespect. I guess it is a mom thing. Sorry.

None taken!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments, they were very helpful! I think I will start something low intensity for now.

Please continue to discuss with your cardiologist the persitence of pain. I would also suggest you have a cardiac stress test (a controlled run on a treadmill) to evaluate if your MVP an the associated regurgitation limits your ability to exercise.

Have you had an echocardiogram and what amount of leakage was observed?
  • lilynblue
    Options

Please continue to discuss with your cardiologist the persitence of pain. I would also suggest you have a cardiac stress test (a controlled run on a treadmill) to evaluate if your MVP an the associated regurgitation limits your ability to exercise.

I have had 2 echos. The first one I was 16, pediatric cardiologist noted mild-moderate regurgitation. The second time I had to find a new cardiologist, since I was over 18, she said any leakage was trivial, and didn't think I had MVP. Although she recognized it was a condition that doesn't go away, so who knows. Prior to my first echo the diagnosis was suspected by my PCP based on the heart murmur and confirmed by the cardiologist he referred me too. I realize that mvp doesn't typically cause exercise intolerance anyway, so that is probably not the problem. Last year I had a son who was born still with a complex cardiac condition, so it made me suspect, once again, I may have an undiagnosed problem afterall. As far as a stress test I have requested one because that is when I experience symptoms the most, but cardiologist dismissed it, ugh, I really don't like her.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I recommend Stronglift 5x5. Just google it and you will find all the info you need online. I would definitely find a new cardiologist. A stress test would be a good thing, even if it's just to humor you. It's possible there is something more there. Good luck!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I have had 2 echos. The first one I was 16, pediatric cardiologist noted mild-moderate regurgitation. The second time I had to find a new cardiologist, since I was over 18, she said any leakage was trivial, and didn't think I had MVP. Although she recognized it was a condition that doesn't go away, so who knows. Prior to my first echo the diagnosis was suspected by my PCP based on the heart murmur and confirmed by the cardiologist he referred me too. I realize that mvp doesn't typically cause exercise intolerance anyway, so that is probably not the problem. Last year I had a son who was born still with a complex cardiac condition, so it made me suspect, once again, I may have an undiagnosed problem afterall. As far as a stress test I have requested one because that is when I experience symptoms the most, but cardiologist dismissed it, ugh, I really don't like her.

If leakage is trivial * at rest * then requesting a stress test check is what I would have done also for persistent pain. MVP can be associated at higher levels of regurgitation but isn't that frequent from my understanding - I'm not a cardiologist, my work on implant materials had me working with a few to look at flow profiles on valves so I only have a smattering of knowledge. But it looks like you are doing the right thing. Stick to her and keep pushing if pain is persitent, if she refuses the ST, request another cardiologist from your PCP.
  • skinnyjayb
    Options
    Hi, it sound like you should first get medical clearance from your doctor.