Hi, I'm Kayla, and I'm a junk food eater

Options
I have been for all my life, I could eat several sets of snack cakes a day, follow it with some mac and cheese and then ice cream for dessert. Since starting myfitnesspal I've kind of balanced it out. One snack cake (or set) a couple times a week, instant food once a day (ramen, mac and cheese - I'm a broke college kid, it's not an option, really, it's all I can afford). I eat healthier soups, sandwiches, pasta, or salads for lunch and usually oatmeal or cereal or fruit and a granola bar for breakfast (I believe my diary is open).

I've lost almost 2 pounds in just over 2 weeks by exercising regularly and eating to lose .5 a week and leaving a small deficit (sometimes).

My question are: am I doing enough to be considered healthy or are my eating habits still too poor? Are there somewhat cheap, healthier options than my junk food staples? How do you guys deal with junk food cravings?

Replies

• Km0714
    Km0714 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    hi i'm kaila and i'm also a junk food eater!
    (same name different spelling!)
    as for the junk food though i'm workin on it!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Healthy is all relative, girl. If you're cutting down from what you used to do, then you are certainly getting healthier! Whether or not you are "doing enough" is all up to you.

I have the same college problems - though I've stopped buying ramen and easy mac, the closest dining hall is a Wendy's. It can be super hard, but as long as you're making your eating decisions with your health in mind, then I'd say you are very much succeeding. No one says you've gotta cut out junk food altogether!

I don't know if you do, but I'd definitely try rinsing your ramen before you make it to take out some of that sodium... and maybe try to spike it with some lean protein. It'll taste better too. If you have salad bars at your school, try filling a tray with things you can munch on - carrots and celery and hummus are my favs - and eat those as snacks.

If you can, invest in a small blender. I got one at CVS for $15, and I blend up all sorts of yogurt, juice, fruit, even spinach from the dining hall, and now I have a protein powder. Great for post-workout. I just bought some froyo today so now I can have milkshakes!

Also don't be too strict on what certain meals are. Your body won't reject oatmeal at 9pm or leftovers for breakfast (: flexibility is everything at college.
  • panano
    panano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm Lilly and I'm a recovering junk food eater! (Those 100 calorie snack packs have got me in their grasp though, need to get away from that)
    I understand exactly what you mean as far as the broke college student front. However, most of my money is spent on lettuce, bread, NON processed meats, and soups! (Progresso light is my favorite) Also lean cuisine frozen dinners... I used to be an avid ramen noodle supporter, but, ever since I started "getting healthy" I've tried to cut it out. As great as soup in a cup is, it's not entirely healthy. But it sounds like you're making a lot of progress, so keep it up!
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The fact that u're cutting down on junk food and working out shows that u're being healthier. Frozen vegetables are okay and relatively cheap. However by losing weight ur body will respond positively. Google the twinkie diet.
  • phipps3113
    Options
    I could live on things that come out of packages. My name is Mark and I have had half of an Oreo package or a sleeve or Ritz or girl scout cookie marathon, you name it, BBQ chips, chips and salsa. We have Ramen as part of our dinner plan tonight. My wife travels for work, so dinner stays simple when she is out of town...My college days is when I learned to love Ramen. The rinsing I don't think applies here. You control the sodium by not using the entire flavor packet.

Keep track of what you eat, that is half the battle. Make a grocery store stop and find a fruit or vegetable or two you like and buy the one that is on sale. You can get like spinach leaves in a bag, cheap and have it as a salad and it has good things, unlike just having lettuce. It lasts a while, too, if you keep it cold.

Good luck!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Amanda and I'm a diet coke drinker and a pizza and chocolate bar eater! I've lost what I wanted to lose and love love not feeling deprived!