5'0" to 5'4" ladies do you have a hard time losing weight?

Options
I'm only 5 ft tall and have the hardest time losing weight. I have been really good about staying within 1200 to 1500 calories a day. Most days I'm at the 1200 mark but have still only lost 4 lbs. Any suggestions? I'm getting frustrated.

Replies

• tanialuke
    tanialuke Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft too. ATM I am following "The petite advantage diet" in regard to my calories. I am eating 1100, 1100 and then 1600 on repeat. 40% carbs, 35% protein and 25% fat. I am losing, but I have recently read some very interesting information that suggests my daily calories are too low which is why I am not losing faster.

Check out the group "in place of a road map"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map

I am beginning to think that this is actually the way???

Hope that helps.
    Good luck
  • Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5 ft tall and have the hardest time losing weight. I have been really good about staying within 1200 to 1500 calories a day. Most days I'm at the 1200 mark but have still only lost 4 lbs. Any suggestions? I'm getting frustrated.

Have you seen your doctor lately? If not, you might want to make an appointment to have your thyroid checked. If you are having thyroid trouble, it's really hard to lose until it's under control.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm 5'0 on a tall day.

I've been really trying for about 10 weeks and have lost a whopping 4lbs. I'm trying to find my caloric sweet spot. I lost nothing on 900-1200 calories per day. I upped it to anywhere from 1200-1800 depending on my activity (using fitbit and a HRM for cardio) to figure out my TDEE then eat 500 calories less than it. That worked a bit better. I lost a few pounds.

Then I just switched to eating 1400-1500 per day regardless of activity. This way some days I'll have a deficit of around 900, and other maybe a deficit of about 300....most will be around a deficit 500 though.
  • mrscompgeek
    Options
    YES! I'm 5'2 and have been trying for a year now to lose my baby weight. I've gained 10# instead of losing any. So frusturated right now. MFP wants me to have 1200 calories but I upped it to 1400 because I was constantly hungry and my Lightly active calories I need to maintain is 2,000.
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options

How long did it take to lose the 4lbs? What did you start at and what is your goal?
    Healthy weight loss is 0.5-1lb a week. So if you're losing at that rate, you're fine.

Also, keep in mind other factors affect weight loss. If you started an exercise regime, your muscles retain more water as they repair. Hormones can mess with it (I always gain weight at my period). If you consumed a higher level of sodium you will retain more water. etc etc

Also, are you tracking everything that you eat? Most people do not, even if they think they do. Make sure you're actually at 1200 a day.

Good luck!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, eat 1533 calories and I've had some tough spots but I have lost 45lbs in 6 months. It's achievable. But if you aren't losing, maybe get your thyroid checked out. :flowerforyou:
  • MrsTheunissen
    MrsTheunissen Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You don’t have your food diary open so it’s hard to tell what you are eating.

If you are one of those that are having hard time losing (I can guarantee that I am one of those, I am 5 2’ and have 40 lbs. to go. Slowly but sturdy) this was what helped me:

Stop with all processed food when you are entering the grocery store just go around it. The fresh and healthy foods are there such as, fruit, veggies and protein. Look at your food diary and make sure that the sodium level is good and take less bad carbs (bread, pasta) and eat more protein. That you are eating veggies every day.

Drink water

If you can’t go to the gym, try to do something at home or go for walks.

If you do exercise, take measurements insted of using the scale and get some smaller pants and use them. The scale will not give you what you want right now! But the measuring tape will :drinker:

If you count out your TDEE and BMR, be in-between those numbers, don’t go under your BMR and DO NOT eat back exercised calories.
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

If you use MFP, eat back the exercised calories.

Someone told me: When you stop thinking of this as a diet and start to think of this as a new lifestyle, the lbs. will go down.

Feel free to add me if you want :smile:
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, and admittedly I didn't have a ton to lose to begin with. But so far, I've dropped 1-2 lbs a week, until last week when I only dropped 0.5, but that was ok because I'm down to the last 10lbs and I knew it would slow down. I'm eating a static number of 1700 based on my TDEE -20% and exercising the 30 minutes a day I entered into that calculation, plus a bit extra twice a week when I have my karate classes.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level and how many calories are you eating?

Those are factors that will affect your weight loss.

I'm 5'2 and have lost almost 80 lbs. My tools have been eating in a caloric deficit and a mixture of cardio and strength training.

Make sure that your calorie deficit is reasonable and eat enough to fuel your body :)
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Have you seen your doctor lately? If not, you might want to make an appointment to have your thyroid checked. If you are having thyroid trouble, it's really hard to lose until it's under control.
    Why on Earth would you jump to the conclusion that it's her thyroid?

OP, are you meticulously tracking and logging everything you eat? Weighing all of your food, even condiments?

In regards to your loss, how long did it take you to lose the 4 lbs? I see that you only have 38 to lose, so I'd aim for slow and steady losses.
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4", and the only time I have "trouble" losing weight is when I am not consistent. The main thing that helped me a lot is I figured my calories with the Scooby calculator...low and behold I had cut my calories too drastically. Now I eat more and I am back on track.

By the way, if you open your food diary it would be a whole lot easier for people to help you. If we don't know what you are eating or your BMR and TDEE then we cannot accurately help you.

Here is the link to the Scooby: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • zmans_mommy
    zmans_mommy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and have lost 10lbs since January 14th.
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft and 4-5 years ago weight was falling out with what seemed like little to no effort. Now I'm constantly hitting plateaus. I try to break it up with intermittent fasting here and there, which helps at times. And this morning, I broke through a plateau and lost 1.4 lbs. But yes, i do think I have a harder time losing weight these days than I have in the past.
  • Dawnflenner
    Options
    Thank you all so much for responding. I lost 4lbs in 28 days. I had my thyroid checked a couple years ago and it was fine. Is this one of those "I should just keep what I'm doing and be patient" kind of things? I really appreciate all the feedback.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's no harder to lose weight it you're short. Your calorie budget will be smaller because you have a smaller body mass to support but as far as metabolism and diet short people are not the exception.
  • xjckemx
    xjckemx Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've been on this seriously since mid January. Am 5' 2" and also struggling. I've lost 1.5 llbs it was more but somehow I put it back on!!! I'm 119 now. But the pounds don't want to shift they like me to much!!!
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and have lost 20 pounds since Thanksgiving. I'd call that progress! I do go 5-7 days sometimes where the scale does not budge. I am honest about what I eat, and I carefully watch portion sizes. I try to stay at 1200 calories, but sometimes have 1500 (Maybe 4 times since Jan 1). I exercise when I can.....and I seek support here.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Check out the group "in place of a road map"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map

I am beginning to think that this is actually the way???

Hope that helps.
    Good luck

I'm 5'1" and I use this method, I went from obese to having a healthy body fat percentage.

I am currently eating 1850 cals/day to test if this is maintenance or a slight deficit. You don't need to eat really low amounts of calories to lose weight.
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1." I don't care about my weight so much as I do about inches. Has anyone lost inches? How have you done it?
  • cbeckl
    cbeckl Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and lost my initial 10 pounds quite easily with the 1200 cal/day allowance by MFP, I was always starving and noticed increased muscle fatigue when running my long runs. I started Insanity and continued my running, so I recently increased to TDEE - 20%. Here's hoping that I start losing again. I've gained 5 pounds back but I'm hoping it's related to lean muscle gain from Insanity???