Overly Tight Calf Muscles

Options
I'm having issues with my calf muscles feeling tight and stiff after exercise. This has been an issue for years. I have naturally tight calf muscles in the first place (podiatrist told me). Some days I wake up and they are really stiff and it takes a few hours for them to go back to normal (this has happened without me exercising the day before). I make sure I stretch after exercise. But they are so stiff I'm finding hard to walk with out modifying how I walk.

I have tried various different stretching positions and using all or combos of them ...but nothings really working. I've improved my flexibility a lot, from not being able to touch my toes cos of the tightness in my calf...to being able to touch the ground and walk out my hands a little. In terms of exercise I'm currently doing 30 day shred. When not doing 30 day shred I normally walk and do HIIT.

Replies

• matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    foam roller
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Have you tried some dynamic stretching? Check online and give it a try, this has really helped me
  • imch64
    imch64 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Could also be linked to achilles. Work on strengthening and stretching.
  • ahern89
    ahern89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you wear shoes when you work out? I used to workout barefoot and would often have the same problem, but once I started wearing shoes I stopped having it. That might help.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you are stretching the whole calf. Do your basic wall stretch (hands against wall, step back with one foot until you feel a good stretch and lean forward. That stretches the outer calf.

Then move that foot so the toe is parallel to the other heel, bend your knee and stretch again. This stretches the soleus, which runs up against the bone.

I find it hard to believe a doctor would just tell you "that's the breaks" with your calf. Daily gentle stretching should loosen any muscle over time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    foam roller
    This.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem

the solutions that seem to have worked for me are as follows:-

1. buy a really good pair of shoes for excercise, i went to a sports shop and in my case i selected a pair of Mizuno runners shoes ( even though at the time i could not run, this is my ultimate goal to return to running 10k at a time, i explained the goal to the assistant who guided me. Interestingy enough he did not take me to the most expensive shoes they sold.
    2. I discussed the pain with my physiotherapist and she set me a series of stretches for my legs over the last 4 months the pains have subsided to a mild stiff sensation occaisionally, the stretches include those previously described and also involve using a large excercise ball
    3. I use a foam roller on my ITB as i had knee pains as well
    4. use a cross trainer as this has no impact when you exercise (last week i was doing 50minute sets on the cross trainer, this week I am doing excercis triathlons, runwalk on treadmill - cross trainer - Stationary bike for 60minutes in total and no pain at all

It has taken me 4 months to get here and I would never have believed I could do it if you had asked me this time last year
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

shoes wise I avoid them like the plague ...because I get REALLY bad blisters from any shoes!!!!. My feet are covered in scars from blisters . "Apparently" this is from my really tight calf muscles. And I didn't notice an improvement when I use to wear shoes to work out. Plus when blister plasters are $14 a pack and your using a pack a week it seems a bit pointless.

Dynamic stretching and foam roller sounds interesting I will look into/try these.

And it does feel like my mid leg/lower calf/ achilles now that you mention it.
  • Tereless
    Tereless Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking a magnesium suppliment? CALM is a powder that you can mix with water and drink-- But be careful as this can have a laxitive effect. Start out a little at a time I use 1/4-1/2 teaspoon in water. Raspberry Lemon is good but it is very tart.
    Good luck. I have very tigh calf muscles and it seems to help me.