Strong lifts 5x5 is awesome!!

Options
Just started... Used the first 2 session to gauge where I should start and dropped those numbers about 40%.

Pretty much stay to myself at the gym, but started noticing bad form all over the place. I never really like machine work and I refuse to do any now. I think in 6 months I want to at least be at a 320+ bench 400+ squat and 400+ deadlifts.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of a half rep and not getting the full range of motion?

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I dont know that there is a real reason to do half reps. Usually just horrible form so they can look cooler with more weight on.

I started at the bare minimum and now after 3 months I'm at 220 squat, 140 bench, 275 Dl. No fails on any of those and hope to keep the progression going.
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    Do you mean bottom half or top? when people just do bottom half or so it is constant tension. TOp range partials are good for overloads and lock out strength usualy done with boards on benchpress,, use both quite a bit in powerlifting. Look up supertraining.tv
  • Lostone31
    Lostone31 Posts: 57
    Options
    Do you mean bottom half or top? when people just do bottom half or so it is constant tension. TOp range partials are good for overloads and lock out strength usualy done with boards on benchpress,, use both quite a bit in powerlifting. Look up supertraining.tv
    Just out of curiousity... If you want to power lift, don't you just use more weight? I used to do that a long time ago and it seemed to get me no where. Not criticizing just curious.
  • cfz2314
    cfz2314 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    SL is an awesome program, have fun with it, and enjoy the process of getting strong. There is nothing better then a good lift. When you need a change try wendler 5 3 1....
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    Just out of curiousity... If you want to power lift, don't you just use more weight? I used to do that a long time ago and it seemed to get me no where. Not criticizing just curious.

yea but theres better ways to do it, you do lift heavy weights thro full range of motion but u also break down certian parts of a lift to overcome a weakness. My gym owner has bench press world record and everything i know i learned from him and his lifting. crew,
  • mohojojo
    mohojojo Posts: 26
    Options
    Many many years ago I had the pleasure of making friends with my serbian coworker that was a power lifter. He showed me a lot of things one of them was doing full reps. That's not to say anything is wrong with partial or half reps but I don't think I ever saw him do partial reps or have me do them myself. Now have I done them before? Yes but only to mix things up once every other blue moon.
  • Lostone31
    Lostone31 Posts: 57
    Options
    Interesting, I have a long way to go before I worry about that. Just trying to get back to highschool strength... About 315 bench, 400lb squat (was doing 500lb 1/2squats), and 400+ lb dead lifts. 6 months away...