Baby Steps #2

Options
Well, I did it! I got up and I MOVED. When I was a kid, I rode my bike ALL the time; all over town, up hills, down hills, everywhere. LOVED riding my bike. Once I got in high school and got my license, of course, that stopped b/c it was more fun to drive. BIG mistake. A couple summers ago, my husband and I bought bikes. I have only rode maybe twice since then and found it very difficult and actually, I was scared of it. When you are a kid, you usually don't think about "what if I wreck," etc. As an adult at 269lbs, I DO think about "what if I wreck." 269lbs hitting the pavement would NOT be a pretty sight. I cannot afford to get hurt and miss work, etc so I have been putting off riding all b/c I am scared of falling. Got up this morning, took my shower, ate breakfast and decided to go for a bike ride. Refused to think "what if I fall" and it wasn't that bad after all. A little unsteady when taking off but after a couple minutes I had pretty good control over it. I can definitely tell I haven't rode in a LONG time. FEEL THE BURN and I'll probably be sore as heck tomorrow but the main thing is, I DID IT! I conquered my fear and I got moving. Baby steps.

Replies

• nikicoleman
    nikicoleman Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Nice Job! It sure is a great step--and you know what soon you'll look back and say, gosh I struggled on this?

Keep up that positive attitude and hard work!!!
  • JoyBellz
    JoyBellz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am looking forward to that moment. :wink:
  • Ayre
    Ayre Posts: 15
    Options
    I absolutely LOVED your post. Many times, those of us who are "too big" (including me) are too afraid to try to do the things we did as children. Last night I went to a child skating birthday party. Next thing I knew, I was on a pair of ROLLER SKATES, yes you read that correctly ROLLER SKATES. I must have been an inspiration to the other parents because the next thing I saw was many of them on skates also! My children LOVED seeing my husband and I on the roller rink. I used to tell my kids "oh, I am too fat to do that". I am trying to be more confident in myself. I can do the fun things too in life. Sorry for the rant, but like I said, I LOVED your post. Keep up the great work and have fun riding!
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Good for you! My butt hurt so bad when I started riding my butt. I was like you, unsure and not too steady. I've been riding for about two months now. You just wait. Soon you will be zipping around and you'll notice that you even ride better. You become more fluid, like you lean with the turns, etc. You'll get your groove back and it will be even more awesome. Keep it up! :happy:
  • blockeramanda
    blockeramanda Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Congrats Hun! See...'you have to learn to crawl before you can walk'

You will get better and I'm proud of you for getting the courage to try!!!
  • corndog05
    corndog05 Posts: 53
    Options
    I used to think "what if I hurt my bike". :) I wasn't worried so much about hurting myself as breaking my bike. Keep on going. Like you said, it's baby steps. Keep on going. You CAN do it.

I think you just may have inspired me to get on my bike this week too. Mine is sitting in the hallway propped up on a bookshelf. I'm going to do it. Thanks!!!!