Hungry all the time!

Options
According to MFP I should be eating around 1200 calories a day to lose 0.7lbs a week. So far for the past few days the best I have been able to do is around 1800 calories, but I still feel hungry all day long! Painfully hungry. I feel a bit woozy at times too. I am sure that I am adding up the calories correctly and I am measuring all the food. I try to eat healthy natural foods, but I could lower how much sugar I eat. So is this normal? How long does it take to adjust? I am feeling discouraged already because I am so hungry and not even getting close to my target calories.
As a side note I do know a fair bit about nutrition and used to be an athletic person (triathlete), but suffered a life threatening injury that stopped my physical activity, but my eating stayed the same, hence the weight gain. That and getting old.

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    The more you workout the more you can eat
  • Andra01
    Andra01 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am also hungry all the time but try to work out more to eat more! also, try to eat things that are big for little calories. I explain myself: instead of a sandwich, eat a sandwich without the top pièce of bread and replace that with 6 mushrooms ! it's a fast example but 6 mushrooms are certainly less calories than your bread... or for example in the morning, don't have a glass of orange juive, have an orange instead. Less calories and as mush satisfying! good luck
  • happydispatcher
    happydispatcher Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try eating more veggies and drinking more water. Veggies fill you up without costing allot on calories etc. Assess where you are using your calories, fat, carbs, proteins etc. and find alternatives that are less calorie costly and more filling.
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Two things: What are you eating? And how did you come up with the 1200 cal/day suggestion?

First of all, my first few days were excruciating, because my stomach was used to having a lot of food, all the time. Now (I am about a week and a half in) I still feel hunger at times but not to the same extent.

I have found that I needed to change what I eat. 100 calories of chocolate or ice cream or pizza or pasta etc will not fill you up the same way 100 calories of broccoli or carrots or spinach or fruit will.

Try choosing foods that have more bang for their buck, ie, more filling with less cals. I am trying to get at least 1-2 fruits or veggies in PER MEAL. For example, where before I had a full bowl of cereal and a tall glass of juice, I now have a small amount of cereal with a cut up pear--the pear takes up so much room in the bowl that it overflows! I feel much fuller for longer.

For lunch, previously I tended to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Now I generally have peanut butter on celery sticks with an orange, or a pita filled with lots of veggies, some sliced chicken, and the orange on the side. That also keeps me much fuller for longer.

I feel it is also important to mix it up, if you have the same veggies day in and day out you will get bored. Currently in my pita I am using: spinach, avocado, carrots, cucumbers, and alfalfa sprouts. But I change it around every few days.

Also--lots and lots of water!

However, if you are actually feeling woozy, you should talk to your regular physician.

I hope that helps! Good Luck!
  • Tytanium24
    Options
    You need to Exercise more.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You're probably suffering from sugar/carb withdraw

You're probably not eating near enough protein

You're probably not eating near enough fat

You're probably not eating enough fiber

When on a cut, if you're eating enough protein and fat, you wont have much room for extra carbs because you'll be getting a ton that come with fiber.

Aka, fix your diet and appetite will correct itself over time.

If that doesn't help, consider lower carb with more greens and fat. Keep protein fairly high.

If you're not lifting weights in a heavy weight lifting routine, you should be.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably OK to eat more calories when you're starting out, as long as the food is healthy food, without added sugars and excess fats. As long as you are logging and staying accountable, I'd say you're doing great. After a week or two, you might be able to eat less and feel comfortable.

The woozy feeling is a little concerning. Hope you get that sorted out.