Artificial Sweetners???

rmsrws
rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
I am just curious to see if anybody else had experienced this......After eating something with Splenda or Truvia or Stevia you find yourself wanting MORE!!!! The past month or so I have really had what I thought was some severe hunger going on, and it is just not possible. So I have been trying to figure out what has changed in my eating......I have been having a lot of items with Splenda in them, so I am just wondering could this be my little culprit?? Please share your thoughts, comments, concerns, two cents worth....Please and Thank you in advance!!!!

Replies

• cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Yes I get this. I could never give up pop. But when I gave up regular and diet I was able to. I can't back it with science but my body seems to treat artificial sweetener the same as sugar. I personally do better limiting both.
  • ay73966
    ay73966 Posts: 10
    Yupp thats most likely the problem..Artificial sweeteners actually make your body crave more sweets. I use stevia in the raw and limit myself to one or two packets a day, depending if I drink coffee or not.
  • tjham1
    tjham1 Posts: 45 Member
    I use a lot of saccharine (Necta Sweet tablets). I use Splenda occasionally and also Truvia occasionally. I don't notice any extra hunger with one over the other, aside from just the 'normal" wishing I could eat more! LOL
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I use them everyday and can't say I have ever noticed anything like this whatsoever.... Not saying it isn't possible but never had this through 300+ pounds of weight loss.... Best of Luck....
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I am one of the people who never noticed a difference.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    I switched to Stevia in the Raw. Supposed to be all natural.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Do you have a sensitivity to MSG? Aspartame mirrors MSG and has been known to stimulate the pancreas to release insulin which causes hunger in some people.
  • tracymarie2012
    tracymarie2012 Posts: 164 Member
    I've been using Splenda for a year now, just in coffee, 1 packet per cup. I've not noticed anything except all my friends and coworkers wanting to have an intervention for me.. I have like 2 cups of coffee a day- PLeeZe lol.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Artificial sweeteners actually make your body crave more sweets....
    Please prove this statement.
  • Dubber12
    Dubber12 Posts: 2
    Maybe mentally you want more but I don't think you chemically need more.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    If you look at my diary, you see I have cheesecake or some sort every single day. The basic recipe that I use has 3/4 cup of Splenda.

This has NEVER made me want to have more sweets. It's just a way to cut down on sugar for me.

Aside from silly anecdotes, I've yet to see proof that Splenda (or other sweeteners) makes people crave sugar. I'll stand corrected if someone can show me articles...not just links to abstracts where they didn't read and understand the study...and certainly not various agenda based websites.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Do you have a sensitivity to MSG? Aspartame mirrors MSG and has been known to stimulate the pancreas to release insulin which causes hunger in some people.

No it does not.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2182973

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186
  • Matt_Wild
    Artificial sweeteners actually make your body crave more sweets....
    Please prove this statement.

Agreed.

So much win in this thread :laugh:
  • no but i read an article that splenda weakens your immune system and may be linked to IBS
  • Matt_Wild
    no but i read an article that splenda weakens your immune system and may be linked to IBS

You mean like other foods such as:

Refined breads and cereals
    Refined foods such as chips and cookies
    Drinks such as coffee, carbonated drinks, and alcohol
    High-protein diets
    Dairy products, especially cheese

Again, you are demonizing a drink for something that lots of other things do!
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    I did see on TV that artificial sweeteners do increase your appetite. Can't remember what it was on but just thought I would add this. Sorry I don't have any proof and I can't be arsed to look for any, but just though I would put this in as I have heard it before lol
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    To quote Brandon Campbell:

"In the end [artificial sweetener] is one of those things people like to point the finger at for blame for their weight gain (or the culprit for not seeing the weight loss they want). However true accountability needs to be had here in regards to overall nutrition. "

Aspartame Not Linked to Cancer
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1797853/

Also
    http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame
    http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Nope. I use very little sweetener at all anymore but when I do it doesn't stimulate my appetite the way sugar/wheat did. Aspartame gives me a wicked headache if I have more than a few servings in a day. so for example I can't have a yogurt, popcicle and crystal light all in the same day if they're all sweetened with aspartame which is just as well since water and unsweetened yogurt are just fine!
  • char71165
    char71165 Posts: 65 Member
    I have the same issue with artifical sweetners. I find that my sugar cravings are more intense if I use those versus just having something with sugar. Currently I am eating very little sugar - basically what occurs naturally in foods like fruits, vegetables, milk, etc. I am not using white table sugar at all. I find that my sweets cravings are just about gone and that my palate tastes the sweetness in things I didn't before when I was used to all the sugar. For example oatmeal. I can taste the sweetness in the grains now. I agree with many of the posts that if you limit the use you might find your body does better.