Pins & needles help

Options
Ive started to get active recently (I used to sit almost all day), quit smoking cold turkey and started exercising and moving around all day. I have got really bad tingling/pins and needles in hands and now in my leg/foot when I was on my 45min walk tonight it happened. Im also under alot of stress.
Anyone have any suggestions of what It could be?

Replies

• mixedlollies
    mixedlollies Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump as I have this too since my exercise regime got more intense.
  • av8artist
    av8artist Posts: 46
    Options
    1st, congratulations on quitting cigerettes! I quit cold turkey once upon a time ago (1981) and never looked back. In fact, on occasion, I dream I am smoking and wake up pissed at myself.

Are you pre-diabeteic? As someone with Diabetes II, I experience them in both my feet and hands. The pins and needles in the hands comes and goes, usually with exercise but the feet are pretty constant and to a point I find it hard to wear shoes. My doctor prescribed Gabapentin for that. The dose is higher for evenings so I can sleep. In reality, it nevers really goes away, but the medication allows me to 'forget' about the sensations unless I think about it (like putting it in the background).

Your symptoms can also be that of a pinched nerve. Seeing a doctor is your best bet if you keep experiencing these symptoms.
  • rach_00
    rach_00 Posts: 72
    Options
    I thought it could be from becoming active all of a sudden. I was pushing myself a bit too hard when it happened.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have panic attacks often and that happens to me. A panic attack isn't necessarily hyperventilating. I get chest pain and numbness/pin and needles in my hands and legs. Maybe it's the stress? if you're concerned you might want to see a doctor, though.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This can be a B vitamin deficiency symptom. It often starts with extremity tingling during activity and then becomes more frequent. Are you taking any vitamins? If not it may be worthwhile to start (and can't hurt) and even if you are blood levels may be good to get tested.

It also can be a minor circulation issue. I get tingly hands and feet once in a while when pushing myself hard exercise-wise or extremely stressed out/angry. Docs have said I'm fine.

But again, when in doubt, see a doc.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    my mom has those symptoms but she has high blood pressure, hows your blood pressure?
  • rach_00
    rach_00 Posts: 72
    Options
    Yeah I might start taking vitamins. Do you think I should start taking Vitamin B Tablets??

My blood pressure is normal
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If your multi has plenty of Bs no reason to put more in you, except maybe get yourself a sublingual B-12; generally speaking bodies absorb that better than regular pills.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You should get your blood sugar checked. I think this is a symptom of Type 2 diabetes.