extreme itching

Options
There have been times when I have gone for a run and i get this extreme itching, usually on my legs or my abdomen. I have to stop and scratch and really scratching doesnt seem to help. It feels like it is a problem under the skin. It does not happen every time. It happens in cold or hot weather. And it happens after about a mile or mile and half into my run. Does anybody know what causes this and what it is? When it happens it can be very disruptive to my workout and is almost unbearable.

Thanks,
Coco

Replies

• TEAJAY2013
    Options
    im guessing some sort of heat rash and/or chaffing. I have had this happen to me heaps. Usually when its cold and my body is warming up and its the fricton between skin and clothes. Sorry not sure how to fix it. drives me crazy.

OR could be a reaction to washing powder? have you changed it lately.

find a good antihismine.
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I get this too when running so am very interested to see if anyone knows why.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I used to get this, and sometimes still do depending on the activity and the weather. I was told that it has to do with the circulation in whatever area itches. I was also told to use an antihistamine cream over the area when it happened, or to wear spandex biking type shorts while running. It seems to have helped.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I wear Skins underneath my running shorts to help prevent this. Pretty much stopped the itching entirely.
  • cocolicious2
    cocolicious2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I will have to try the skins or something. I have not changed my washing powder and it does not only happen where there is friction. It can happen on the abdomen or thighs or calves mostly. There is never anything visible like a rash of any sort either. I think the circulation issue thing might be something to look into...Was there a solution to circulation?
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    What are you wearing while running. Could be your clothing. Also maybe you put too much bleach in your wash. It happened to me a while back
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I actually read an article on this about it linking to fat burning. I used to get it a lot on my hips and thighs when i ran.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've had this too. I started using this

https://www.lush.co.uk/product/136/Dream-Cream-Hand-and-Body-Lotion

and it seemed to really calm the skin.

Also, and this is going to sound abit weird, try shaving or depilating in the affected areas. I find my legs get very sore when I exercise if they are stubbly, think it's something to do with sweating.
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you find that it's due to chaffing, Monistat makes an anti-chaffing silicone gel that dries to powder like consistency and I find that it really helps.

I get this too, and I honestly feel like it happens when my junk is bouncing around too much. Maybe some compression clothing would help?
  • PennyHarris123
    PennyHarris123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I used to get this when I jogged too....awful...put me off. I went to the doctor about it and they said to take antihystermines which really did help but they make me drowsy! skins helped too and it did get better the fitter I got too....
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    For some people cardio exercise triggers a histamine release. I belive the technical term for this is exercise-induced urticaria.

I have had that itchiness before, even gotten hives from it. I find that it flairs up around the time of my mild seasonal allergies. Try taking OTC allergy meds (I'd advise against benadryl), but the non-drowsy ones should work pretty well.
  • brandipoo
    brandipoo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Are you running more than you had before? I read somewhere that it had something to do with the blood rushing to the legs and the arteries and capillaries were expanding trying to accomadate the increased and unusual blood flow. The expansion affects the nerve endings around the vessels and the brain interprets this as itching.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Are you running more than you had before? I read somewhere that it had something to do with the blood rushing to the legs and the arteries and capillaries were expanding trying to accomadate the increased and unusual blood flow. The expansion affects the nerve endings around the vessels and the brain interprets this as itching.

This was my understanding as well. I believe as your body gets used to the activity, it will subside--- from what I read.
  • cocolicious2
    cocolicious2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am running less actually. I ran distance in college on a scholarship. So I put in a lot of hard and long miles. It occasionally happedened during that time. Too. Since then I have continued to run, just not at quite the same intensity. I think I am going to try the allergy meds because I get very bad seasonal allergies already. Also probly gonna try the skins too.

Thanks everyone!
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    OMG When I first started out running I itched like crazy...everyone thought I was insane when I mentioned this. As I kept running day by day it slowed down and eventually went away. I was told its called "runners itch"
  • Hopefirst
    Options
    It could be due to the exercise and probably is. However, I just wanted to chime in and suggest that you see a doctor or a dermatologist, just to be sure--if it doesn't subside. No worries. I'm sure it's nothing. I did have itching and it was like a painful itch that felt like pin pricks. It went undiagnosed for a while and I was really suffering. I went to a really good dermatologist who immediately told me that it was shingles. I took some meds and it cleared right up. I don't mean to scare you, but I wish someone would have told me to go to the dr sooner. I wouldn't have suffered for so long. Best to you.