Use my tdee or listen to my body

Options
Should i use my tdee to see how much i need to eat to lose weight maintain or should i just guess !!

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your body is a master at bullsh!tting you. Use your TDEE.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I agree with Azdak
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    My body demands Bailey's cheesecake and 7 cheese lasagna...but to lose weight, I "listen" to TDEE and subtract some calories from that.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Yep. Listening to our bodies is what landed most of us on this site in the first place
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    When my body says "Hey, make eggs instead of salad for lunch." or "I'm still really hungry." I listen.

When my body says "Go eat an entire bag of M&Ms" I try not to listen.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    TDEE.

But I have found that when I'm a pattern of eating the same tried & tested things in the typically advised ratios (and nothing weird's going on, like quitting smoking or being sick or especially female), my appetite aligns with the TDEE anyway, and I can kind of tell when I'm under (or over). Usually, this is when I cook ALL my food and can practically do the portions blind.

That said, eating something not in that predictable menu (with a different ratio, etc) throws me off, and an average week/month includes way too many unexpected events & consumables (dinners/nights out) etc - to rely on my intuition.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I know that my body either never told me, or I didn't listen to it *tell* me that I was eating too much, when I piled the weight on in the first place. I also know I am *not* a special snowflake. Therefore TDEE every time if you are looking to be succesful.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    If your body was working for you I would doubt you'd be here. Eat Tdee.
  • mixedlollies
    mixedlollies Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When my body says "Hey, make eggs instead of salad for lunch." or "I'm still really hungry." I listen.

This. I also think listening to your body is something you can get better at. It's a useful skill to develop if you don't want to be counting for the rest of your life.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When I was listening to my body, I got up to 263 pounds. Now that I keep my calories under my TDEE, I'm losing a pound per week.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Should i use my tdee to see how much i need to eat to lose weight maintain or should i just guess !!

Use the TDEE figure as a starting point.

Be consistent.

See how your body reacts.

Adjust accordingly.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Use the TDEE figure as a starting point.

Be consistent.

See how your body reacts.

Adjust accordingly.

^this
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

lol so very true. If I listened to my body I would live on chocolate and red wine all day long. TDEE every time.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    calculated TDEE is a very gross 'guess' , you should treat it with health suspicion, and before you start making programmed adjustments to cut from it... you should take a period of 2 or 3 weeks to establish what it is more accurately.
    Do this by sticking to eating your estimated TDEE, and doing what you would be doing throughout your cut,
    weigh, and log your weigh-ins to a trend analyser like the free one at the hackers diet online.
    Then once you find the TDEE that correlates with your activites should look to adjust from there.

I believe that that TDEE calculator over on exrx is good, given that it allowed you to estimate based on a typical 24 hours of various activity.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    For a completely different perspective than most here, as someone with chronic health issues, I would say use both. I find that if I don't pay attention to, or "listen," to my body that I tend to get sick. So for me it's a balancing act between pushing myself and eating enough to stay healthy without overdoing it. YMMV but all my body does is tell me when it's hungry. My mind tells me what to eat, and after I've made unhealthy choices it's my body that reminds me that wasn't such a great idea.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That's like saying, "Should I enter all my checks and receipts into my Quicken program, or keep spending until I think my bank account might be getting low?"

If you naturally can maintain a healthy weight without logging food, you don't need to log your food. If you have a history of weight problems, either eating too much or not enough (I've done both while "listening to my body"), you need to log.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The human body in general wants to consume calories and store them for later.

Your body does not want the same things you do. It does not want to have low body fat.

So.... listen to your body? No thanks. That's why I got fat in the first place.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

what if they are peanut butter M&Ms? there has to be some nutritional value there...