That sugars...

Options
Ok, I'm with MFP for the cal deficit, no problem there.
And I don't obsess with the macros either.. some days it is a bit more proteins, some days carbs, but on the average it is all ok.

But sugars... I don't know, MFP set a sugar limit that is SO low! With just fruit and milk I go beyond, if I add just a bit of bread, pasta, whatsoever, I can just forget to stay below my sugars EVER.

I don't care so much, since I'm loosing and feeling good, but I was wandering, do any of you guys stay under the sugar limit MFP decided for you?

HOW?!?!?!

Isa

Replies

• sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I dont let MFP goals stop me eating healthy , I eat as much fruit and veg as I like ( theres only so much any one can manage)
    Eat clean raw, whole grains (limited) . The object is to lose weight and get fit, not satisfy the computer.
    Well done you are doing great!
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)

yea, I agree, eating healthy and below calories is just good enough.
    It was just curiosity, 'cause I don't see how one can eat healthy AND stay below the sugars...

Or, eat healthy, stay below sugars AND within the macros...

Just wandering :)
  • armygirl300
    armygirl300 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I keep going over on my sugars aslo. As soon as I put in my fruit for the day as a breakfast of snack,,the number goes over. But I just deciced that I will not worry so much about it right now.
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just saw a topic in Nutrition, about sugars.

Seems to me that a lot of people find difficult to stay under sugar limits.
    Some say you should try, but apparently it is... impossible :)
  • Suzeboo
    Suzeboo Posts: 50
    Options
    I go over sugar everyday. I had at one point tried to maintain the suggested amount but i found myself cutting more and more fruit out of my diet which didnt seem quite right! I try not to exceed +15 now which is still difficult but means I can include a yoghurt and 2 pieces of fruit aswel as vegetables in a day. I admire anyone who is able to stick to mfp recommendations but it is impossible for me. I think to limit to a realistic amount as close to the recommendation as possible is the way forward.
  • cvsaunders
    cvsaunders Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too have the same problem, I couldn't believe how low that level was. It's impossible to keep below it just eating a basic diet that's healthy with fruit and vegetables. I gave up trying to stick to it
  • Rocksiren
    Rocksiren Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well I go over almost everyday. Right now, Im eating my breakfast (low fat yogurt, fat free creamer in my coffee) and apparently Im done for today.
  • elleyp
    elleyp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the guidelines set by the program. It gives me something to strive for ... except for the sugars. I pretty much "throw out" the sugars for vegetables, and fruits, and try to keep the other items in line with the goal.
  • whynot56
    whynot56 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Just the 2% milk I have with breakfast puts me more than half-way to my suggested amount. Add the fruit I eat every day, and I also go way over. In searching for foods that are lower in suger, I found the granola bar I like has way less sugar than the fruit, but is higher in calories. I am pretty good at being under my calories, so which is better? Adding a little more to my calorie total, or saving a lot of sugar?
  • vivian1616
    vivian1616 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem. I was getting frustrated until I went back over my diary and realized that my sugars were coming primarily from low fat yogurt, my morning coffee (I have cut back to one cup and allow myself the indulgence of a little presweetened creamer), and fresh fruit. If I had a cup of yogurt and coffee, I was close to my limit for the day, like some others on here have said. I don't want to cut fresh fruit and healthy foods from my diet, so instead of stressing about the sugars, I decided to change my profile to not show them. Instead I am focusing more on staying away from bad fats, getting the good fats, and trying to meet my protein goals for the day.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My thoughts: if you are going over in fruits and veggies and whole grains - forget about it. If you are going over on pre-packaged meals, sodas, sweeteners, artifical sweeteners, candy, etc..... worry about it a lot. Also, watch your fruit - try to have more veggies then fruit and don't go too crazy on the fruit.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that requires you to monitor your sugar intake I would not worry about going over eating fruit, veggies, milk, etc. In fact I do not even monitor that nutrient--I switched it out for sodium, which I need to monitor due to sodium sensitive HBP.