Calling all morning exercisers for advice!

Options

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I used to have loads more energy after morning exercise...odd but works! X
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Makes me happy all day to! Remember to get to bed early!
  • VasylP
    VasylP Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, you will not feel tired. I like others find getting my exercising done in the morning as invigorating and a good start to a day. In addition there is the added benefit that it sets you up for your entire day. It is known for some years now that exercise suppresses appetite, more particularly aerobic exercise. I found that years ago when I worked for someone else and the only time that I could find was to work out in the morning before work is that it left me energized, and when I got to work on those mornings that I went to the the gym, I was sharper than the others - this was not only my own observation, but one of my supervisor. As long as you are getting a good quality night sleep, then my experience says you should be fine.
  • AQ3107
    AQ3107 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

My personal experience is this;

I run between 5-6k every morning before going to work.
    I also walk 3 miles to the nearest tube station every morning.

and repeat the same for the evening.

WOAH! You do this EVERY week day? You must be super fit!

O god I hate being in the spotlight.
    I ain't sure about being super fit but am alright.
    Thanks.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    It's all mental.

I've exercised with no sleep. With 8 hours sleep. Beginning of the day, end of the day. If I mentally amp it up, ramp it up. All is well.

Nike put it best, Just do it.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I am planning to get in some morning exercise before I start work tomorrow, for the first time. However, I am a little nervous that it's going to make me tired for the rest of the day.

How do YOU cope? How does it affect you?

It actually has the opposite affect for me and many other people that exercise first thing. It feels extremely rejuvenating to do my run and then a shower straight afterwards. You will feel more tired if you don't do any exercise believe it or not.
  • GeekTink
    GeekTink Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I work out every morning for about 40 mins. Sometimes it's just my stationary bike, sometimes my treadmill, but I have made myself two workout routines (core and strength) that I am going to tie into the mix so I don't get bored doing one or the other. Gotta mix it up a bit, but I am ridiculously energized for the rest of the day! Oh, a little something on your stomach won't hurt, something with high protein i.e. peanut butter, eggs etc.

Keep up the good work!
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :) I can't wait now. I'm just battling for energy these last few weeks. I'm finding it really hard, and that's why I am so nervous about getting up early and before work to exercise!
  • AQ3107
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :) I can't wait now. I'm just battling for energy these last few weeks. I'm finding it really hard, and that's why I am so nervous about getting up early and before work to exercise!

Do you sleep enough? Not sleeping enough make you feel run down.
  • kellehbeans
    Options

Do you sleep enough? Not sleeping enough make you feel run down.

I forever sleep. I generally go to bed between 10-11pm and wake up at 7. Weekends I usually go to bed a little later, sometimes going to bed late and getting up at around 8-10am
  • AQ3107
    Options
    Maybe try going to bed an hour earlier than usual and see how you feel.
    Unless you ain't eating well and not sleeping enough other than medical reasons you shouldn't really be battling for energy.
    Maybe also add in a couple of rest days in your week where you don't run and do any exercise and you should be feeling okay.
    It's just a suggestion maybe try it.
  • jeets888
    jeets888 Posts: 2,237 Member
    Options
    Lovvveeee gymming in the monring, my day just doesnt feel right if i dont and sometimes things happen where you cant necessarily gym in the afternoon. As for the energy levels, feel more energetic after gym even if it was a strenuous session. Ones body always guides you as to what is can or cannot handle but as many have said, give it a week and evaluate from there ...

As for the tiredness and coping for the day, ive been through days where on a saturday have done 90 minutes spinning, some abs, maybe a bit of running and stretching as well and had busy days with a party at night and managed just fine .... as you get fitter you will reap more rewards as well :) ... just keep at it
  • linski24
    linski24 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've just run 3 miles... And I'm a nurse on duty at 2 until 10 and on my feet for most of shift .... I will be fine .. However due to lifting weights yday and running today , by 10pm ill really feel it in my legs ... But it's a great feeling and a reminder that I'm getting fit :-)
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    Unless you ain't eating well and not sleeping enough other than medical reasons you shouldn't really be battling for energy.
    Maybe also add in a couple of rest days in your week where you don't run and do any exercise and you should be feeling okay.

I always worry about eating back calories to gain some more energy because I follow the TDEE 10% rule.

Thanks guys. :)
  • hevhoyda
    hevhoyda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Normally the opposite I typically have more energy and am more conscious about what I eat throughout the day vs if I don't workout or do an evening workout
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    I usually feel the need to eat back all my exercise calories if I do it quite early on - like when I go for long walks. But we'll see. I just hope it is as sunny as it is now!
  • AQ3107
    Options

I always worry about eating back calories to gain some more energy because I follow the TDEE 10% rule.

Thanks guys. :)

I have no idea about TDEE, calories etc etc
    I have just started tracking my food etc etc and based on the calculations I eat around 2500-3000 calories a day.
  • AQ3107
    Options
    I usually feel the need to eat back all my exercise calories if I do it quite early on - like when I go for long walks. But we'll see. I just hope it is as sunny as it is now!

It is. Summer day in London today!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters that it actually gives me extra energy during the day. Plus, even if the rest of the day goes to hell, I still accomplished SOMETHING positive, which helps me keep doing the right thing.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    Same here. Exercising in the morning gives me more energy for the day.