Strength to Replace Cardio?

Options
I was training for a half marathon, but I've developed a stress fracture in my tibia and need to take 6 weeks off of running and three weeks off of the elliptical or bike. So since I enjoy working out, I was thinking I would switch gears from primary focus on fat-burning cardio to LBM building strength training. Does that sound like a good idea? Does anyone have any recommendations for starting out?

I love bodyweight exercises and videos like those on Bodyrock.tv. I have a one year old and my husband is deployed so my access to the gym is limited. I also have been eating at a small deficit, should I continue, decrease or increase my calorie intake? I am 5'6", 140, and was eating 1800-2300 calories per day logging 25 mi per week.. not sure how to adjust my intake now that I won't be burning 500+ calories per day. Thanks!

Replies

• hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    you could easily burn 500 calories doing weight training! (if you have the time) http://healthwellnesspost.com/how-many-calories-does-weight-lifting-burn.htm
    Plus the weight training will help you burn calories during the day when you are not "at it". If you have 3 sets of weights 5-10-15lbs you can use the training journal provided on that site to log in your progress. Also, SQUATS!!! they will build up your legs like no other and make you a better stronger runner!
    Please remember to stretch. I also recommend NTC Nike Fitness Club for your phone! (if you have a smart phone) it is free! it has great workouts to do at home.
    You are going to notice a great advance in your running once you get back to it when you heal up! having a strong core and legs will help you run faster and harder.
    I also recommend getting a HRM(heart rate monitor) one that straps on your torso and uses an external device for heart rate. I recommend Polar 7. That will help you push yourself to get to desired amount of calories. Do not depend on what people put on here for number of calories for exercise they are different for everyone.

GOOD LUCK! you can do this and come out stronger than ever!
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    Do it! A pound of lean muscle burns 50 extra cals a day! I went from 165-135 pounds mainly using compound weight exercises :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    A lb of extra muscle burns about 6 calories a day.

A lb of extra fat burns about 2 calories per day.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If you're also looking to do cardio vascular work while you lift, keep rest periods for compounds at 2 min or less. Don't rest more than 3 minutes between exercises either.
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am excited because I really enjoy strength training. I appreciate the resources!

Does anyone have any advice on adjusting my calorie intake? I've read that I need a surplus to build muscle, but I'm nervous about putting on weight right before my husband comes home.
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    I found I got great results upon upping cals from1700per day to 2000-2500 per day(or basically when hungry just make sure u eat good stuff)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Do it! A pound of lean muscle burns 50 extra cals a day! I went from 165-135 pounds mainly using compound weight exercises :)

A pound of muscle burns maybe 5 extra cals a day.
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    Been told otherwise but hey certainly nice to be able to eat what I like :)