Why do People lie /fib with their weight?

Options
OK, this post is probably more "Rant" than "Post" but........I live w/ a family member who hardly ever does anything close to excercise and eats nothing but junk food 24/7. I've REALLY been trying to stick to the MFP calorie counting and working out and actually taking the working out part a lot further but love the results & the way it makes me feel both physcially & mentally. I am SO not one of those people that says, "Ooh I have lost X amount of weight" or " I weigh X amount" as I feel that this is personal. My roomie tells me she weighs like 10 pounds less than me and I say nothing as I feel that if the show were on the other foot then I'd probably fib about my weight too. I lost 23 pounds last fall and gained back about 15 of that but have lost 9 lbs. in the past month and feel great about myself! Nothing like getting back into size 6 jeans! again, just a rant but curious as to how you all deal with situations like this!

Thanks & continued success to all!!!

-Deb

Replies

• Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Why do you assume she is lying? Depending on fat vs muscle ratio two people of the same height and weight can look VERY different.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i have two aunts that are similar heights. one wears a size 16, another wears a size 24. they weigh EXACTLY the same weight (it is kind of a family joke). guessing a person's weigh is like guessing age - you are wrong more often than you are right.
    dawn
  • Nikki_Marz
    Nikki_Marz Posts: 35
    Options
    I know how you feel and the best thing I can say is to take pity on them for having to lie about their weight.
    I agree that the weight thing is a personal issue, and I don't go around telling people how much I've lost or how much I weigh...I don't think its necessary, especially in a world where a number can mean more about you than who you really are.

I've recently moved back into a household with family, some who are severly overweight, yet continue to indulge in all the junk. Trying to make others understand that this is a serious thing you're doing by trying to change your life is hard enough, never mind someone telling you that they weigh less than you do (whether a lie or not), or whether they keep all that food thats a no-no in easy reach.

Best to do is ignore it, as you already have. Actions speak louder than words, and your success in losing weight shouldnt hinge on their approval, or their lies. The lies are clearly to make themself feel better, but until they are willing to make that same commitment you have, nothing will change.
    Feel good about what you've accomplished because clearly you accomplished it without their support.

Losing weight is hard. Losing weight alone with little to no support is harder. Losing weight while others try to sabotage you is the hardest.
    Good job and keep up the good work.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    1. If you are right and she is lying, she does it because it makes her feel better, or because she is embarrassed, or she really wants you to do a slow burn, or ...

2. Or, everyone else may be right and she is not lying.

Are you two friends? Is there a rivalry going on? I say just give her a hug, smile and walk away and do not ever mention weight and exercise to her again. If she mentions it to you, just smile and change the subject. No competition can occur if one person refuses to respond.
    Hugs, BJB :drinker:
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Honestly, it doesn't bother me. If someone says they've lost weight, then I will cheer right along with them, if they've gained then I will share some hopefully inspiring words to help them become more motivated. If they tell me they weigh 10 pounds less than me, then I congratulate them. I don't know what the scale says for them, unless they show me, and I don't feel its my place to judge someone by pounds or what they feel they need to share. We should be proud of ourselves for our accomplishments, and share in happiness for others, and let all the rest go... it's not worth stressing over to be honest. :flowerforyou:
  • doodleinmd
    doodleinmd Posts: 16
    Options
    I hate to use the word "Lie". I love this person like my own Mother(she's actually an Aunt) and I know that if the roles were reversed and I saw a friend/family member really making an effort and watching food intake & working out & getting results then I'd feel bad for myself and more than likely stretch the truth. I am one of those people that will encourage you to no end and am REALLY excited when someone is really trying to better themselves. I guess it boils down to almost feeling sorry for her and want her to forge ahead. I guess I just need advice on how to bite my tongue and stay silent(which I have NOT done & NEVER hope to do).
  • doodleinmd
    doodleinmd Posts: 16
    Options
    Wow! SUGARHI, you have lost 275 pounds!!! What a fantastic goal!!! Congrats!
  • Callmefia
    Callmefia Posts: 42
    Options
    I was really shocked myself this week when my work buddy and I talked about our weights. We both started WW and she said when she weighed in she was surprised to find she was just under 200 for the first time in forever. I was shocked because I have been just over 200 for a good year now and I am pretty sure she wears a larger size than me. But then I realized that she has fairly thin legs and arms and carries her weight all in the middle. I chunky all around from my horse-rider calves, thunder thighs, and D-cups. I have been able to maintain myself in a 16 and 1x. I'm pretty sure she is 2x and in the 20's for pants size.... just weird how some people are so different.
    I'm pretty sure I carry more muscle too.... we have fairly different levels of physical fitness.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said, I think that she may or may not be lying. And if she is....does it matter? Weight is a very personal thing, IMO. I think the reason we talk about it a lot here, and so openly and (hopefully) honestly is due to the fact that we're all anonymous entities. We're avatars and screen names. So if she is lying about 5 or 10 pounds to make herself feel better, then I think that's okay. I remember when I had to give my weight for my driver's license in Calfornia, they ask your weight. I think I was 155 at the time and I stated 130...CLEARLY untrue but they let it slide...what were they going to do? Call me out on it? :ohwell: I think, especially if this is a family member, you have to let it slide. Weight honesty is for the individual, in my opinion. And for you, you've had great success so far so be proud for yourself and focus on that :bigsmile: