Protein Powder Help!

Options
I'm using whey protein powder in the AM as my breakfast (allergic to eggs and dairy).

Looking for a way to eat this without have to gag it down. Using vanilla powder with water at present. Any ideas?

Replies

• etruxell
    etruxell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Heres a recipe someone posted on here I can't wait to try:

8 ounce of vanilla almond milk
    1/4 cup of uncooked oats
    2 scoops of powder
    2 tbl of peanut butter
    1 banana
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I'm using whey protein powder in the AM as my breakfast (allergic to eggs and dairy).

Looking for a way to eat this without have to gag it down. Using vanilla powder with water at present. Any ideas?

Brand is most likely the problem to start with. Second is water.

What brand you using? If you are having to gag it down,you might spend the extra money and get a premium brand with better flavoring. (Trutein, Xtreme Formulations, iForce <-- HAS RED VELVET WHICH IS MY FAVORITE!!, ON has some decent flavors)

Secondly, water makes it below average taste.. Use Soy Milk or Almond Milk for a richer flavor. The flavors are usually designed with milk based being used in mind. Water dilutes the flavor, while a milk seems to enhance it and hold it up better.

Also blending makes a difference, get a blender bottle if you don't have one. Highly recommended!
  • thepotz
    thepotz Posts: 34 Member
    Options

First thing you need is a nice whey if your chugging it down it dont sound like it taste nice ?
    if you have a blender use
    almond milk
    fine grounded oats (unflavoured)
    Frozen Blueberrie

this is my breakfast and it taste realy nice

Alpro - Unsweetened Almond Milk, 300 ml
    Myprotein - Instant Oat (Unflavoured), 60-100 g
    Essential Whey 60, 60 g
    Frozen Blueberries 350g Pack, 60 g
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hey thepotz
    check out i LOVE thee stuff i drink both there Protein powder and Super food the taste of the PP is plain so when i make it i just had a cup of frozen mixed fruit and some Kale and if i have it after a hard workout out hot yoga a add coconut water
    YOu will not find a more natural product out there and its Organic and we should all be eating organic when we can
    you will find that there is not anything that is not good for your body it this stuff not like a lot of other PP out there they have so much add sh!! to them that we should never put in our bodies
    http://bokusuperfood.com
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options

Your allergic to diary and you're using whey protein powder?
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It must the brand because I have mine with water and it's delicious!

Try Dynamize.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Mix a little Splenda and some vanilla extract (or coconut, mint, etc). I do both, along with a banana and 1/4c oats.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have mine blended with the following:

200ml Unsweetened Almond Milk

If I need a change I also add:
    1 tbsp Meridian All natural peanut butter
    1 tsp ground cinnemon

Yum!:tongue:
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Your allergic to diary and you're using whey protein powder?

Agreed, you should not be using whey if you're allergic to dairy!! That could be dangerous! Might be why it's not agreeing with you??
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

First thing you need is a nice whey if your chugging it down it dont sound like it taste nice ?
    almond milk
    Frozen Blueberrie

Essential Whey 60, 60 g

Do you eat this with a spoon or drink it??
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend puts it in his oatmeal he cooks or he adds it to peanut butter and makes it as a topping like on a toasted bagel. He says its pretty tasty.
  • shelwatson1
    shelwatson1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Go to Mercola.com to find out why you need to be VERY selective when it comes to Whey Protein powder. I use Pea Protein Powder and this recipe in my blender:

1/2 cup almond milk
    1 frozen banana and or frozen pineapple or frozen berries
    1 serving of Pea protein
    1 tbsp. of alkalizing greens pwdr
    1/2 container yogurt (optional)
    water to get desired consistency
    Blend and drink
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Hey thepotz
    check out i LOVE thee stuff i drink both there Protein powder and Super food the taste of the PP is plain so when i make it i just had a cup of frozen mixed fruit and some Kale and if i have it after a hard workout out hot yoga a add coconut water
    YOu will not find a more natural product out there and its Organic and we should all be eating organic when we can
    you will find that there is not anything that is not good for your body it this stuff not like a lot of other PP out there they have so much add sh!! to them that we should never put in our bodies
    http://bokusuperfood.com

I wouldn't call that a protein powder. It's 9g of protein and 16g of carbs, yes it's high in fiber but that is so low on the protein intake. Whey is an all natural substance, don't know how you can get more organic then whey (from cheese.)
  • rnprincess
    rnprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Same suggestions of many of the others. Almond milk really adds to the taste. I do 1/2 water and 1/2 almond milk I suggest you find a blend that works for you. Other things to add
    frozen blueberries, peaches strawberries (or what you like)
    Raw Super Food (this gives a great taste with the frozen veggies and you get all the benefits-fruit, protein & veggies
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

buy a better protein? My ON Gold Standard mixes easily and tastes pretty good.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    >1 year consecutive logging
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    Try Gold Standard 100% Whey. I use the Mint Chocolate (Tastes JUST like a thin mint in a cup). I mix mine with 8 oz soy milk, but have used 8 oz of 1% low fat milk too. I promise you it's absolutely delicious. I have had one for breakfast and one for lunch for the last 3 weeks and STILL am not tired of it. Shop around on price too. Some places have it cheaper. It really keeps me full and I've noticed that my muscles are not as sore as they used to be after strength training.
  • kjwasmund
    kjwasmund Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Put it in a smoothie and with some water, ice, and fruit and blend it up. IT's really good!
  • thepotz
    thepotz Posts: 34 Member
    Options

almond milk
    Frozen Blueberrie

Essential Whey 60, 60 g

Do you eat this with a spoon or drink it??

Drink it out the blender :) sometimes if its thick ill finish with a spoon
    and sometimes ill swap blueberries for strawberries :)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are one of the best ways to blend it in with other flavors, you could also use it in pancake batter (I think there are recipes out there that are egg and dairy free) or make chocolate truffles with the powder mixed in. Lots of different options but it all depends on what would work better for you.

Also it could be the powder you are using as well, not all powders are created equal or have great flavor. The ones that I have noticed so far that tasted the best was Muscle Tech Six Star Excellence Protein +, Ultimate Nutrition Iso Sensation 93, and Optimum Nutrition Gold 100% Whey protein powders.

I have two recipes that you might like.

Morning Fruit Smoothie:

1 cup high pulp orange juice
    1 cup fruit (pineapple, peach, melon, strawberries)
    2 tbsp greek yogurt
    1 serving protein powder (chocolate)

Blend and serve, it's consistency is like a milkshake.

Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie

3 tbsp Pumpkin Puree (ED Smith canned pumpkin, not canned pumpkin pie)
    1 serving protein powder (vanilla)
    1 cup (skim or low fat milk, can use almond or soy milk)
    1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 tbsp Dream Whip Powder or fat/sugar free Cheesecake pudding mix
    4 full size ice cubes (about 3 tbsp of water per cube)

Blend all but ice first, then blend with ice.

Hope you find some good options.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

Whey is dairy