Protein Powder Help!

Options

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I mix it with oats, milk, and peanut butter.
  • aliciaaw
    aliciaaw Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Add some strawberries and blueberries
  • emih29
    emih29 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It must the brand because I have mine with water and it's delicious!

Try Dynamize.

I agree, I use Optimum Nutrition and just add a cup of unsweetend almond milk
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I'm using whey protein powder in the AM as my breakfast (allergic to eggs and dairy).

Whey is dairy

It usually contains such a small amount of lactose that it doesn't affect lactose intolerant people.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Why are you using whey protein if you're allergic to eggs and dairy???
  • LaurenVamp
    LaurenVamp Posts: 74 Member
    Options

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    >1 year consecutive logging
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

Are you for real, dude? : /

Buffy-Is-Disgusted.gif
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    You can also try Hemp Protein or Pea Protein they both are raw and do not contain dairy or eggs:

http://www.znaturalfoods.com/Protein-Powders

That being said; try protein smoothies:

1/2-1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
    1 1/2 - 2 cups of any fruit
    1-3 cups of any greens or spinach (if you like)
    1 scoop (serving) of protein powder
    1 TBSP of raw almond butter or natural peanut butter or flax seed or hemp seed
    You can also include some coconut yogurt if you like SO Delicious makes a great one

You can add 1/2 scoop (or half serving) of protein powder to oatmeal or other hot cereal
    with 1/2 medium apple
    1 TBSP walnuts

Add 1/2 scoop (or half serving) of protein powder to coconut yogurt and include fruit and any nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, macadamia)
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I'm using whey protein powder in the AM as my breakfast (allergic to eggs and dairy).

Whey is dairy

It usually contains such a small amount of lactose that it doesn't affect lactose intolerant people.

She said allergic to dairy, not lactose intolerance.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If I'm using a shaker cup, and only want to mix with water, I will add crystal light citrus.

If I can use my blender, I will add diet orange crush, orange cream yogurt, and an orange. (if you are allergic to dairy, the yogurt may not agree with you, but since whey is a product of dairy, you may be fine.)

Another tasty way to drink it is with Sprite zero, some frozen cherries, lime juice, frozen spinach cups, and ice.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    If you are allergic to dairy and eggs you should NOT BE USING WHEY protein.

Try a vegan one like sunwarrior, vega, raw protein, or a soy protein.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Agree with the other folks who observed that you should not be taking whey protein if you're ALLERGIC to dairy. Stop immediately.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Whey is dairy

Many people with dairy allergies are allergic to the casein proteins, not the whey proteins. However, I agree with the others, if you don't know specifically which protein you are allergic to, you might want to try soy or another protein powder.

And, lactose intolerance is entirely different than allergies. One causes digestive issues (which can be uncomfortable to severe) the other causes anaphylaxis, possibly even death.
  • TheSwoleMinister_deleted
    Options
    Got a great morning shake recipe for ya!

6 ice cubes
    Banana, 1/2 frozen
    Strawberries - 4, frozen
    8 oz Orange Juice, Tropicana Trop50
    Vanilla Protein , 1 Scoop

260 Cal
    37g Carbs
    2g Fat
    26g protein
  • MerMandy17
    MerMandy17 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My doctor reccommended that I use whey in an effort to build my tolerance to diary. Because my allergic reaction does not inhibit my breathing, he said I could outgrow it to the point where it is tolerable. As a female in my 20s, I have been concerned with bone mass loss as I have avoided dairy my whole life. I typically go with almond milk.

Using only one scoop of powder thus far has not caused any sort of negative reaction other than taste.

My big question I suppose is: when counting calories and essentially trying to remain as low in calories, carbs, and sugar while maintaining high proteins, which is the better option?
  • MerMandy17
    Options
    Got a great morning shake recipe for ya!

6 ice cubes
    Banana, 1/2 frozen
    Strawberries - 4, frozen
    8 oz Orange Juice, Tropicana Trop50
    Vanilla Protein , 1 Scoop

260 Cal
    7g Carbs
    2g Fat
    26g protein

This looks right up my alley! I currently eat 1/2 cup of blackberries, 1/2 cup of blueberries, and 6 strawberries alongside my shake. Looks like I need to add it into the blender!
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    My doctor reccommended that I use whey in an effort to build my tolerance to diary. Because my allergic reaction does not inhibit my breathing, he said I could outgrow it to the point where it is tolerable. As a female in my 20s, I have been concerned with bone mass loss as I have avoided dairy my whole life. I typically go with almond milk.

Using only one scoop of powder thus far has not caused any sort of negative reaction other than taste.

My big question I suppose is: when counting calories and essentially trying to remain as low in calories, carbs, and sugar while maintaining high proteins, which is the better option?

Maybe you should change doctors. You can't "build a tolerance" to dairy....wouldn't it be easier to avoid dairy than risk an allergic reaction? I'm sensing some malpractice,
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Also it's a HUGE misconception that dairy is the only source calcium.

Here's a link to some non-dairy sources you can add into your diet.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/25-vegan-sources-for-calcium.html?page=2
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet-my xanthan gum will be in tomorrow (I had to order it from amazon) but this looks really good - it's a Frosty Protein Shake & they claim it taste just like Wendy's - it sure looks like Wendy's:

http://mealsandmovesblog.com/2010/07/02/flashback-friday-last year/
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use cytosport whey protein (vanilla or chocolate) that we buy at Costco. It tastes good (I think) mixed with water and nixes pretty easily. My husband mixes his with water. I usually have a smoothy for breakfast mixed with fruit and it is delicious. Here is one of my recipes:
    1 cup strawberries, blueberries & raspberries
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 Tbsp chia seeds or ground flax seeds
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk (30 calories)
    1 cup of ice
  • MerMandy17
    Options
    My issue is not digestive related. I was allergic as a child and was on soy-based products until I was old enough to choose for myself. I have mostly avoided them until recently. I visited an allergist who advised me to slowly add dairy back into my diet and record my reaction (which I have done -- no major issues, digestive or otherwise). Now that I'm dieting, he agreed that Whey would be a smart choice for both dieting and for continuing in adding milk products into my daily diet.