Toe/Foot Numbness

Options
I was working out on the elliptical last night and I noticed some strange pain/numbness/tingling in my toes and soles of my feet. I took about a minute rest and my feet returned to normal. I was able to finish my work out with no other pain (other than a bit of muscle soreness).

I thought it may have to do with hyperventilation, because as I slowed my breathing things got better. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common, especially on the elliptical. I don't use one, so can't really comment on that, but it is frequently related to how tightly you tie your shoes. Loosen them up and see if that helps.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Its pretty common on the elliptical because the motion pushes your foot to the front of your shoes. It might help to reverse directions more often, wear looser shoes, loosen your shoe laces, wiggle your toes from time to time as you work out or anything else the will stretch or move your feet while you work out.
  • benny150592
    benny150592 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've had this pain before, and I found that it was, as above, related to the tightness of your shoes - having them looser, but not too loose really helped!
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions! I'm one of the weirdos that has to have tight shoes.. I'll loosen them up a bit and see what happens.
  • misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this. My right foot has been falling asleep on the recumbent bike lately. My laces are not tight at all. I've tried putting the pressure on different parts of my foot (toes, center, etc.) without luck. Any other ideas?
  • ZHawk1123
    ZHawk1123 Posts: 215
    Options
    Happens all the time on the elliptical... You're feet generally stat in one place the whole time you are on the machine so they are bound to fall asleep.

Nothing to worry about.
  • allthatroz
    allthatroz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I guess I have to loosen mine too...the same thing happens to me.

thanks for posting...
  • sdpursley
    sdpursley Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions! I'm one of the weirdos that has to have tight shoes.. I'll loosen them up a bit and see what happens.

i was fitted for proper running shoes last week. i was told the main reason not to make our shoes too tight is because during exercise, our feet will swell. it's just a natural process of the extra blood flow and heart rate.

when we loosen up our laces a bit, our shoes should naturally tighten as we exercise, and fit comfortably. continued numbness was AFTER an exercise would be some cause for concern.

keep up the good work!
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Yup, I get this both with too-tight shoes, and on the elliptical. I just try to move that foot around on the paddle more, or wiggle my toes around a bit.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem for years, just thought I was weird. Then someone told me to not tie my shoes so tight and problem solved! They still get a little tingly after a while but not to the point where i have to stop.
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    THis happens to me EVERY TIME I am on the eliptical! Oh I am so happy it is not just me!! I had to small of shoes, so I thought when I actually bought the right size it would stop.....NOPE!! Happens every time....thank you for posting this, I thought I was the only one!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem wearing Saucony running shoes, but I switched to Nike and no longer have the problem.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I definitely have this happen often. I try and relax my feet/ankles and exert more effort into my toes sometimes to stretch them out. I also use the elliptical in backward motion which seems to help ease the numbness. No worries, it's fairly typical.
    oh and i wiggle my toes every five minutes or so also.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Happens to me sometimes, but it's not because of my shoes. My muscles over contract and constrict blood flow (when I work chest, my arms will start to go numb from my pec muscles constricting my blood flow) So my doctor told me to take ibuprofen before my workout, and it really helped.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    my feet ALWAYS fall asleep on the elliptical. 30 minutes is the max I can do before having to move on to something else. I've tried any and all suggestions (loosening laces, repositioning feet, etc.) and none of it helps. Now when I'm doing cardio at the gym I do a circuit with the bicycle, elliptical and end on the treadmill. Still get a great workout but don't spend my whole time on the elliptical and my feet feel good the whole time.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I get this when i use my cross trainer. Its to do with the pressure you put on that part of your feet in order to keep the exercise going. Maybe try and turn down the resistance if you have that feature until your feet get used to the movement. Good luck and keep at it xx
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can see the benefit of all the above posts about shoes and fit. I will add one more general caution, I am not speaking directly to the OP, but in generalities.

If a person is living with Diabetes, they should also consider other reasons for numbness in feet. Diabetic peripheral neuropathy can be serious and often requires a lot of help to manage. If you are diabetic and you have numbness in feet while working out and the loosening your shoes isn't resolving this problem it is something you should get medical advice about.
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I get it while doing jumping jacks too. And I always tie my sneakers really tight, guess I will have to loosen them a little!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Too much pressure on the ball of my foot for too long caused my feet to go numb. So I lowered the resistance level and now keep my weight on the back of my foot and numbness is no longer an issue.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My sis in law and I both have the same issue if I go any longer than 30 minutes. I think it's because my feet are in the same position for such a long time. If I take a break the numbness/tingling goes away.