Best Protein (Meat)

Options
Hi there!

I'm tyring to plan my dinners for the week and I'm finding that ground beef and even (GASP) ground turkey are fairlyy hi in calories. Just curious, whats the best meat to eat for dinner?

Thanks for helping!!!

Replies

• thepotz
    thepotz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    chicken breast!
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    steak chicken fish and leanest ground beef you can find.
  • bmwaters21
    Options
    Fish sounds good, any idea which ones are low in mercury? I read somewhere that too much fish could result in high mercury levels. lol I have no idea how much you'd have to eat for that to happen though...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    High in calories? If your looking for low calorie with no fat then tilapia can't be beat except in taste, it sucks.
  • pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    Besides meat, I just wanted to say that you can mix beans or lentils into a lot of meat recipes to allow for a bit less meat, but with still lot of protein and fewer calories.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    High in calories? If your looking for low calorie with no fat then tilapia can't be beat except in taste, it sucks.

haha :laugh: this is true. Not much of a taste at all. That is why I cover my Tilapia in Mrs. Dash lemon peper seasoning!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ground meats are high in calories because they tend to hav ea lot of fat mixed in. Lean ground meat is usually not very tasty.

So any whole meat, like chicken, turkey, pork, etc, are usually good. Beef is good to but pretty fatty comparatively. Not that there's anything wrong with fat, but it is calorie dense.

I find Swai much tastier than tilapia. I buy it for about $1.50 a pound frozen at Walmart. More neutral taste and takes seasoning and marinade better.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    if you go ground meat, use ground turkey. best tasting lean ground meat to me.

Otherwise my favorites are trimmed sirloin, shrimp and fish, and chicken in that order.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Sirloin steak, and lean, trimmed pork loin.
  • bmwaters21
    Options
    Mmmm shrimp....
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Chicken tastes like anything you want it to, so try mixing that into your meal planning. I like talapia and usually just broil it with Adobe seasoning on it. It is very salty, so a little goes a long way, but you can't beat how easy it is to make and flavor.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

haha :laugh: this is true. Not much of a taste at all. That is why I cover my Tilapia in Mrs. Dash lemon peper seasoning!

Tilapia is consumed in copious amounts in our household.

Puttanesca is awesome on it. Hides the nasty tilapia taste perfectly.

Simple, only a pint grape tomatoes, 2 tablespoons capers, 2 tablespoons kalamata olives, 6 cloves sliced garlic, 1 tbsp olive oil, cooked on medium heat in a lidded nonstick skillet until the tomatoes pop, then put 4 pieces of the fish (I use frozen fillets) on top of the tomatoes, lower the heat to low and put a lid on it. Cook it until it is done.
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    Chicken tastes like anything you want it to, so try mixing that into your meal planning. I like talapia and usually just broil it with Adobe seasoning on it. It is very salty, so a little goes a long way, but you can't beat how easy it is to make and flavor.

I totally agree two tilapia filets, with a mix of butter olive oil garlic and pepper - with some pepper flakes is the way to go! pair it with a side of asparagus or really any green and a cup of potatoes or more greens and your good to go! I usually get my protein in my dessert as well, lately I've put a tbl of dark chocolate chips a half cup of 0% fat plain greek yogurt - SOOOOO good! You can also mix the vanilla protein powder in that...
  • erinkward
    erinkward Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have always been taught, the less legs, the more protein, cow good (4 legs:tongue: ) Chicken Better (2 legs:happy: ) fish the best (no legs:laugh: )
    I you are trying to add more good proteins just a nice reminder. :smile: