Honeymoon Travel; To buy insurance or not?

Options
CrystalFlury
CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
I'm psyched! My fiance and I have booked our honeymoon this coming May to visit Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. As we were paying our deposit we realized we had an option to add travel insurance. At the time we didn't know if it was worth adding for an additional $200-300. I've spent a little time looking up alternative travel insurance companies and I'm trying to decide if it's even worth adding travel insurance. We realize it'll probably save our butts in the event something terrible happens, however, we also are seeing it as a waste of $200-ish.

For those of you who have experience with travel (international travel) I'd like to hear your input. To add the insurance or not? Also, who do you use for your travel insurance? We're looking at using Travel Guard.

Replies

• Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    always get insurance and bring protection.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I never buy insurance. Ever.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Spell it all out in the prenup.
  • cvanbeek
    cvanbeek Posts: 107
    Options
    I never buy insurance. My parents who own 2 business have only bought it once.
  • Jstarr77
    Jstarr77 Posts: 24
    Options
    I pray this will not happen to you - but I bought the insurance on my honeymoon and was SO GLAD I did when I had to call the wedding off three months out d/t his having an affair at work. I got my $1500 deposit back - so worth the $$$.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I know that Punta Cana has a hurricane season. I'd look this up & if you're traveling during that time, definitely buy the insurance. Otherwise, if you have no reason to think you won't go on the trip for some reason, I would decline.

However, make sure to read the policy closely as it only covers in certain situations.

Have fun!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm psyched! My fiance and I have booked our honeymoon this coming May to visit Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. As we were paying our deposit we realized we had an option to add travel insurance. At the time we didn't know if it was worth adding for an additional $200-300. I've spent a little time looking up alternative travel insurance companies and I'm trying to decide if it's even worth adding travel insurance. We realize it'll probably save our butts in the event something terrible happens, however, we also are seeing it as a waste of $200-ish.

For those of you who have experience with travel (international travel) I'd like to hear your input. To add the insurance or not? Also, who do you use for your travel insurance? We're looking at using Travel Guard.

seriously?? have you even considered the consequences of getting sick or robbed in a country like that?? It's a no-brainer.
  • baseballwife_1
    Options
    First of all, congrats!!

Second of all...buy the insurance, if not for anything but peace of mind.

My hubs and I are going to St. Lucia for our 10 year anni this summer, and we bought the insurance because of 1) hurricane season and 2) things just happen. The way the economy is right now...what if your airline or hotel goes bankrupt?? Haha! But not really. :)

I'm a cardiac RN, and yesterday one of my patients was telling me he and his wife were leaving in two weeks on a cruise...then the doctor came in and informed him his "routine" test actually showed massive heart damage and he now has to have open heart surgery next week, and with the recovery involved it means no cruise. He was upset not because of his heart problems, but because he and his wife didn't buy insurance and now they were out $6000. His wife was on the phone with their travel agent trying to work something out!!

Scary. I'm just one of those vanilla people who like to play it safe rather than sorry.

And again, congrats on your upcoming marriage!!
  • CarolinaMoon76
    Options
    Maybe insurance is more expensive in the states but OH and I paid approx £40 for insurance for a year. However the company we were booking the honeymoon through were charging £150 approx so I would shop around. And I would get insurance for sure. I always do and then just be glad I never need it :smile:
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I used to work in travel and I would say NEVER EVER travel without it, yes you may never use it but look at the costs if you did need it and didn't have it. I had a client who's hubby died overseas she never took insurance it cost her nearly five hundred thousand pounds in total!!
  • CrystalFlury
    Options
    For the people who think I'm talking about regular insurance or whatever that has to do with finances, cheating partners etc... I'm not talking about prenups or anything of the sort. I'm asking about travel insurance in the event our trip is interrupted due to illness, weather....

wow. just wow...
  • CrystalFlury
    Options
    And yeah, we've taken into consideration those bad things happening (being out of country and whatnot). HENCE the reason I ask about who to buy insurance from if we do buy. I just read some really cruddy reviews from people about buying travel insurance, doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies knowing that even if we threw money into the "insurance protection" that there's a chance the insurer won't help us anyway.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    And yeah, we've taken into consideration those bad things happening (being out of country and whatnot). HENCE the reason I ask about who to buy insurance from if we do buy. I just read some really cruddy reviews from people about buying travel insurance, doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies knowing that even if we threw money into the "insurance protection" that there's a chance the insurer won't help us anyway.

I'm also getting marred in May. We just booked our honeymoon in Cancun. We got the insurance because you just never know what could happen. We're both young(ish :wink: ) and healthy, but there might be a freak hurricane, I could break a leg training for my half-marathon or one of us could have a car accident... you just never know.

I get what you're saying about the insurance companies not always having great reviews, but most of the time you only hear the bad stories and not the ones where having the insurance saved someone a lot of money.

The insurance for our honeymoon was about 4% of the cost of the trip - well worth it in our opinion.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    im in africa if i get hit by a bus and dont have travel insurance they wont take me to a hospital.. id say its worth it
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Traveling outside of the country I would highly recommend the insurance. Talk to you insurance company (home/car) and see if they offer it or recommend someone.

this may be helpful: http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/reviews/
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    No. If you were traveling during Hurricane season I'd say do it, but May is gorgeous there. I have been to Mexico, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Bahamas, Haiti, and St. Lucia all without travel insurance.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    had to say cancun is amazing =D you will love it x
  • mrsmark2010
    mrsmark2010 Posts: 220
    Options
    I say get it. I've had issues with missed connections, almost not making it to the dock before the boat left (thanks to delayed flights) and also a sick hubby (bronchitis) which required him to visit the ships doctor a couple times while at sea. All of it was covered thanks to our travel insurance.

I can't offer recommendations about where, I almost exclusively book our trips at cheapcaribbean.com With them the cost of travel insurance is a percentage of the cost of the trip. I can highly recommend that site and what ever insurance company they use.

Congrats on the wedding and enjoy every minute of the planning, the big day and the honey moon. We had a blast in DR while there in December.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Definitely get it, $200 is nothing compared to potential hospital costs
    I got sick in Taiwan, if we didn't have insurance through my fiancé's company it would have cost us over GBP2000 for the surgery and GBP50 per hospital visit each time after (I had to go once a week for 2 months for blood tests).
    I can't stress it enough, get it.