Protein Powder Help!

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    My issue is not digestive related. I was allergic as a child and was on soy-based products until I was old enough to choose for myself. I have mostly avoided them until recently. I visited an allergist who advised me to slowly add dairy back into my diet and record my reaction (which I have done -- no major issues, digestive or otherwise). Now that I'm dieting, he agreed that Whey would be a smart choice for both dieting and for continuing in adding milk products into my daily diet.

I used to have lactose intolerence which developed into a full blown dairy allergy, now I get nasty sinus issues if I have dairy. I'm sorry that your doctors are giving you horrible advice, it is not smart to continue to have something makes you sick. I didn't know it was dairy causing my sinus issues for two years. When I figured it out my choices were continue to be sick and take hard allergy pills or cut it out. It's not a hard choice. There is no reason you would need to consume dairy dieting or not, you can get calcium easy from other sources such as spinach, kale, broccoli...ect which can all be part of your healthy diet. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about dealing with a dairy allergy
  • cljabusc
    cljabusc Posts: 48
    Options
    i have magic bullet, i put 1 scoop protein, half of a banana, 1 cup almond milk (i use unsweetened), and a few of either raspberries, strawberries, or blackberries for some extra taste (can be frozen).

Its deffinately edible, even tastey. and under 300 calories if the almond milk is unsweetened (1cup=30 cal)

:)
  • MerMandy17
    MerMandy17 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My issue is not digestive related. I was allergic as a child and was on soy-based products until I was old enough to choose for myself. I have mostly avoided them until recently. I visited an allergist who advised me to slowly add dairy back into my diet and record my reaction (which I have done -- no major issues, digestive or otherwise). Now that I'm dieting, he agreed that Whey would be a smart choice for both dieting and for continuing in adding milk products into my daily diet.

I used to have lactose intolerence which developed into a full blown dairy allergy, now I get nasty sinus issues if I have dairy. I'm sorry that your doctors are giving you horrible advice, it is not smart to continue to have something makes you sick. I didn't know it was dairy causing my sinus issues for two years. When I figured it out my choices were continue to be sick and take hard allergy pills or cut it out. It's not a hard choice. There is no reason you would need to consume dairy dieting or not, you can get calcium easy from other sources such as spinach, kale, broccoli...ect which can all be part of your healthy diet. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about dealing with a dairy allergy

Well, that's what I'm saying... I haven't had any issues with it since I reintroduced it into my diet. I've been eating small amounts each day, but I haven't experienced any negative side effects. I eat a lot of kale and spinach anyway. My note on my original post was really just to indicate that I could not mix the powder with a full glass of milk or add in any eggs. I am still very allergic to eggs (mouth breaks out in a rash). But it seems everyone on here gave me some good ideas!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I like to mix it with yogurt for a creamy feel.
  • Tomieguns94
    Tomieguns94 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Here is a protein banana oat muffin recipe i use. You dont have to use vanilla protein if you want, my next batch will be with my chocolate protein.
    Protein Banana oat muffins
    Ingredients:
    1 banana
    ¾ cup egg whites
    ½ cup plus 4 tbsp low-fat plain greek yogurt
    ¾ cup oats
    2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
    ¼ cup sugar substitute
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    Prepare:
    1. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Spray muffin tray with cooking spray
    2. Blend all ingredients (except 4 tbsp yogurt) together until smooth and pour into muffin tray
    3. Back until you can insert fork and remove without batter sticking. Approx. 17min
    4. Top with yogurt
    Nutrition value: per muffin
    Calorie: 70
    Protein: 8g
    Carbs: 7g
    Fiber: 1g
  • 3VKING3
    3VKING3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i cant have dairy either. but i do use this also. i also have the (chocolate) shakeology formula. since im not to much into just cholcolaty or vanilla. i mix 1/2 scoop of each with the vanilla almond milk. it really does taste sooooo much better. and peanut butter and i have no problems at all its delicious and no problems digesting .. even my boyfriend who doesnt like anything healthy makes it for himself sometimes. :) or peanut butter and a half banana..
  • TheSwoleMinister_deleted
    Options
    Sorry guys, typo in my smoothie recipe. Should have been 37G carbs, not 7. :embarassed:

Fruits gots lotta carbs ya know! :tongue:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I mix my Spirutein with Blue Diamond Almond Breeze coconut milk blend. I like it. I use one of those bottles with the little blender ball in it.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Cold milk, and shake it vigorously for a few minutes. I use 2% milk or soy milk, and both are a HUGE improvement over water. Makes it almost like a milk shake!

Add it to your baking in just about anything (brownies anyone? XD), smoothies, or make your own protein snacks to take with you in your car.
  • fbranch7
    fbranch7 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to add a lot of extra calories and fat to my protien drink (180 calories). Here is what I do...and I LOVE it!

I use the Nature's Bounty Optimal Solutions Complete Protein and Vitamin Vanilla Shake Mix (Women's formula - 2 scoops) - Walgreen's carries this

I use two cups of the Almond milk - vanilla, unsweetened (only 30 calories per serving)

2 packets of splenda

Mix real good and enjoy!!
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use Muscle Milk Chocolate and mix it with water and find the taste to be good. I've never tried mixing it with almond milk, but I want to.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    add peanut butter and bananas - ups the protein total too and YUMMY!

I like dark chocolate dreams peanut butter by peanut butter & co
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options

check out i LOVE there stuff i drink both there Protein powder and Super food the taste of the PP is plain so when i make it i just had a cup of frozen mixed fruit and some Kale and if i have it after a hard workout out hot yoga a add coconut water
    YOu will not find a more natural product out there and its Organic and we should all be eating organic when we can
    you will find that there is not anything that is not good for your body it this stuff not like a lot of other PP out there they have so much add sh!! to them that we should never put in our bodies
    http://bokusuperfood.com
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I use Muscle Milk CytoSport in chocolate. I just mix it with water. I tastes really good and dissolves well. Tastes like chocolate milk.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    i dont know what you where looking at as the Boku super food has 25 g protein and ONLY 3g carbohydrates
    Doctor Formulated
    25 grams of Vegan Protein per serving
    Full Spectrum Amino Acids
    Wheat, Gluten, Soy and Dairy Free
    Non-GMO
    Super Digestive Enzymes
    Low Sugar
    check out i LOVE thee stuff i drink both there Protein powder and Super food the taste of the PP is plain so when i make it i just had a cup of frozen mixed fruit and some Kale and if i have it after a hard workout out hot yoga a add coconut water
    YOu will not find a more natural product out there and its Organic and we should all be eating organic when we can
    you will find that there is not anything that is not good for your body it this stuff not like a lot of other PP out there they have so much add sh!! to them that we should never put in our bodies
    http://bokusuperfood.com
    [/quote]

I wouldn't call that a protein powder. It's 9g of protein and 16g of carbs, yes it's high in fiber but that is so low on the protein intake. Whey is an all natural substance, don't know how you can get more organic then whey (from cheese.)
    [/quote]
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    My doctor reccommended that I use whey in an effort to build my tolerance to diary. Because my allergic reaction does not inhibit my breathing, he said I could outgrow it to the point where it is tolerable. As a female in my 20s, I have been concerned with bone mass loss as I have avoided dairy my whole life. I typically go with almond milk.

Using only one scoop of powder thus far has not caused any sort of negative reaction other than taste.

My big question I suppose is: when counting calories and essentially trying to remain as low in calories, carbs, and sugar while maintaining high proteins, which is the better option?

Maybe you should change doctors. You can't "build a tolerance" to dairy....wouldn't it be easier to avoid dairy than risk an allergic reaction? I'm sensing some malpractice,

Actually tolerances can be built just like intolerances can be.

I am severely lactose intolerant and also do get allergic reactions from certain brands of milk, like lip and cheek swelling allergic. But in small doses increased over time I have become somewhat tolerant as long as I keep up the daily doses. Just like I am photosensitive (allergy to sun), I get the horrible red burning, bleeding rashes along with big long splotchy and severly itchy rashes from the sun, but over the spring I get used to it so that I can go outside during the summer. I build a tolerance.... so err, yeah you can build a tolerance even if you are allergic.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'm using whey protein powder in the AM as my breakfast (allergic to eggs and dairy).

Whey is dairy

+1. I couldn't get past that. If you the OP is allergic, then she needs vegan protein. I think Sun Warrior is supposed to be a good one.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    And honestly, if you have to add all those calories to your whey protein, you are defeating the purpose of PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTATION. Unless you need 3k a day and drinking 300-500 of them is not a problem to you. If it was me, I would just eat chicken if I had to drink my calories. I have to mix my whey with a whole bunch of stuff because it's not easy to eat 3k of "healthy foods".
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    >1 year consecutive logging
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

Are you for real, dude? : / <<<<<<<<PERFECT! Just what I was thinking!

Buffy-Is-Disgusted.gif
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    i have magic bullet, i put 1 scoop protein, half of a banana, 1 cup almond milk (i use unsweetened), and a few of either raspberries, strawberries, or blackberries for some extra taste (can be frozen).

Its deffinately edible, even tastey. and under 300 calories if the almond milk is unsweetened (1cup=30 cal)

:)
    I love how my magic bullet has improved the flavor of my protein shakes. Sometimes all you need is a way to completely mix everything.