(7 lbs) water weight?!?

Options
Hello Groupees!
Watching what I eat and exercising are new to me.
Saturday was a big workout day for me (went to a trampoline park with a friend for a workout class - burned 600+ cals in @50 minutes).
Sunday is always a rest day. Sometimes I might take the dogs for a walk just to get out, but really no much activity at all.
I weigh in and take measurements on Mondays (thinking maybe I should switch days).
I actually gained seven pounds of something in the past week and all my measurements are up. I know on Sunday I was feeling bloated and heavy. Looking back into my diary, I was only over a few cals a couple of days (my birthday was on Friday) but was well under calories for the week. One thing I did notice is I was over on sodium both Friday and Saturday by 1000+mg. I have not been to the gym yet this week as I am fighting a cold.

Is it possible that this is all water weight? This morning I am down to 171. How long will it take for the water weight to go away?

Thanks for the advice....have a great Tuesday!

Replies

• friggie
    friggie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If your sodium was up that high it could very well be water weight. One thing I do when retaining water (that horrible time of the month) is I drink extra water but I add lemon juice to the water, for some reason it helps with water retention. In fact I drink around 3-4 of my glasses of water a day with lemon juice in it.
    Doesnt hurt to give it a try and see if it helps.
    Good luck
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Not sure I have the right answer, but weight fluctuation is common. If you think high sodium is a trend, try to focus on that (I don't eat chinese food for that reason alone). As a woman, we do have a tendency to hold water. Just drink lots of water, and keep on trucking! You will have your ups and downs.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Sodium = Water weight

Sore Muscles = Water weight

Illness = Water weight

Drinks lots of water and it will go in a few days
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    my weight varies daily 1 to 3 lbs....
    when I workout the next day I'm always heavier - - - I've changed my weigh days to the morning after my rest day.

Also check this out - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read

I'd drink extra water for a few days and try to stay away from the sodium.

Good Luck :)
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to be different but for me that is totally possible.

Muscle soreness mixed with higher sodium intake (maybe even add some hormones in there) and I can easily be up 5+ lbs.

Day-to-day weight changes a lot. So I don't know if it will ever "go away" necessarily but the amount of water you're holding will change daily.

I like to weigh daily but look for trends in my weight - not judging it by a single number.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Sodium = Water weight

Sore Muscles = Water weight

Illness = Water weight

Drinks lots of water and it will go in a few days

This, exactly!
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you... (pun intended... water... paddling... lol)

I'm up 8 lbs. since Saturday morning and am SOOOOO frustrated.

I'm blaming pizza and TOM. Drinking a TON of water and watching my sodium and I'm hoping it will be gone by Friday.

Good luck!
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    WoW!
    Thanks for the reassurance! I didn't know muscle soreness = water weight. I guess the too much sodium and new workout (man do my arms hurt) was a double whammy.
    I knew my weight could fluctuate 2-4 pounds on a daily basis, but 7? That's crazy!
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    WoW!
    Thanks for the reassurance! I didn't know muscle soreness = water weight. I guess the too much sodium and new workout (man do my arms hurt) was a double whammy.
    I knew my weight could fluctuate 2-4 pounds on a daily basis, but 7? That's crazy!

Yep. It's DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). The muscles hold on to fluid as part of protecting themselves.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you... (pun intended... water... paddling... lol)

I'm up 8 lbs. since Saturday morning and am SOOOOO frustrated.

I'm blaming pizza and TOM. Drinking a TON of water and watching my sodium and I'm hoping it will be gone by Friday.

Good luck!

AND I started the 30 Day Shred and I'm SORE!! Didn't think about the muscles retaining water in addition to the other things!!!