This is scary!

Options
My friend linked me to this video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY9LLMTCjwg

It's a documentary that was shown here in the UK about extreme weight loss. It's sad because it shows how vulnerable we all are to the images shown by the media, and the horrible effects it can have on our self esteem! Makes me glad I'm here on MFP doing it the healthy way!!

Replies

• Steffykins
    Steffykins Posts: 176
    Options
    My friend linked me to this video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY9LLMTCjwg

It's a documentary that was shown here in the UK about extreme weight loss. It's sad because it shows how vulnerable we all are to the images shown by the media, and the horrible effects it can have on our self esteem! Makes me glad I'm here on MFP doing it the healthy way!!
  • zen68
    zen68 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this...I watched and wow! I have no more words....
    except we all need to maintain HEALTH!
  • BritCom Fan
    Options
    I saw this on BBC America and it was quite shocking.

Esp. the woman who does I would say, "method journalism" suffering for the story, kind of like "method-acting', ala, Marlon Brando, Paul Newman and Dustin Hoffman. She had some REAL ISSUES and was really doing it to the extreme.

Hopefully she has turned her head around on it since it was uncertain in the docu.

25341.png
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I just got done watching all 5 parts.... that is very scary. To think that people are actually doing that to themselves.... SOMEONE SLAP THEM PLEASE!:ohwell:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    It's like getting addicted to crack to know what it's like to go through withdraw. Louise didn't lose any weight on the watercress diet - I thought that was interesting - fast, don't lose weight.
  • Steffykins
    Options
    It's horrible to think that food and your physical appearance can rule someone's life. They were both great looking girls in the beginning and ended up looking so haggard and withdrawn and worst of all they were completely miserable!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I watched the first one and part of the second. I got mad, and had to stop. this is insanity! Why anyone would ever do something like this is beyond me. The one thing I noticed is that both of these women kept talking about how "mad" it was, I.E. crazy. I would agree. The damage people do to their body with this crazyness is just unfathomable.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    I watched the first one and part of the second. I got mad, and had to stop. this is insanity! Why anyone would ever do something like this is beyond me. The one thing I noticed is that both of these women kept talking about how "mad" it was, I.E. crazy. I would agree. The damage people do to their body with this crazyness is just unfathomable.

Yes, that's mad, but this two girls did it "for the sake" of others in a way.
    I was shocked that 3-4 weeks is enough to develop an eating disorder!! Wow!
    I think EVERYBODY should see this, especially if you have/expect to have children (daughters mostly) to be aware of the problem! I need to show this to my boyfriend.

I know one girl who is anorectic. She went to hospital because she was so weak but claimed she was ok...........
  • Steffykins
    Options
    Yes I don't think either of them actually wanted to have such dramatic weight loss, they did it for the documentary...but it IS mad. I went through a phase of restricting my calorie intake to 500 maximum and doing 2-3 hour cardio work outs - purely because I was obcessed with glossy magazines and the perfect figure they portray. It made me grumpy, tired and food really took over my life. Luckily I came to my senses pretty quickly!!

But I guess that's just our culture now.