Lost motivation

Options
I've lost 9lb since starting my new regime in January, I was sticking to going to the gym three times per week and eating healthily. Three weeks ago I had to miss a gym session because of work commitments and haven't been back since! I'm disgusted with myself that I could let it fall by the wayside so easily but I'm just so unmotivated to get back into the routine. I'm still continuing with the healthy eating, I haven't put any of the weight back on but I haven't lost any more either. The other thing is that my diet buddy at work left the company so the motivation that I used to get from her has evaporated too. Feeling pretty much like a failure at the mo, don't want to give up, just wish I could find some inspiration to give me that push I need again :-(

Replies

• jeffreywinner59
    Options
    There are some amazing and inspirational stories and pictures in the success stories section. Many people find that section to be extremely motivational. Don't give up. Sometimes you alone have to be the biggest motivator in your life. You can do it if you put your mind to it and stay honest with yourself. Good luck.
  • DanaMcCrea
    DanaMcCrea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    NO! Don't give up! You sound just like I did yesterday. I came to the message board - feeling sorry for myself - and was re-energized by all the stories and comments I read about other people. We are not alone! You don't have to go to the gym to get a good workout. Start going back when you can, but if you can't, there are plenty of workouts you can do at home. I read on the boards here that people were starting the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. I'd never heard of it but by reading their comments on it, I joined in the movement too! I started yesterday in my living room and boy am I sore today. You can view the video on youtube. Please don't get discouraged! I also found many new friends from the boards and they are motivating me! Feel free to add me as a friend and I will help out as much as I can :)
  • SuziSuzuki
    SuziSuzuki Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jeffrey, I'll have read :-)
  • SuziSuzuki
    Options
    Thanks Dana, I've just been reading about the Jillian Michaels exercise programmes too, I'd never heard of them either.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    What are you doing this for ... YOU. Regardless of what the reason is, its all boils back down to you. You want to feel healthier (YOU). You want to wear a smaller size, or find something more fitting, even if it is to get noticed, its still for (YOU). You want to live longer, or be with Your significant other longer (YOU). Its all about you, so any work you put in is for you ... when your tired or dont feel like going, the only person you need to worry about is you. So why not really take care of yourself, because ever minute you put into being healthy you are paying out to yourself, so pay out big, go when you dont feel like it because its for you. Push a little harder when your tired because its for you. Ya Buddies are nice, and having a workout partner is nice, but at the end of the day everything you do is for you, so GO BE YOU :) Good luck.
  • Terree_G
    Terree_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Don't give up -- and don't overthink it! The more you tell yourself you're not motivated, the less motivated you will feel. This happened to me in early February, but I kept kicking my own butt out the door to get to the gym. The "blahs" passed after a few days, and I was glad I had kept up with my workouts after all.

Please add me if I can be of help to you!
  • Terree_G
    Terree_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What are you doing this for ... YOU. Regardless of what the reason is, its all boils back down to you. You want to feel healthier (YOU). You want to wear a smaller size, or find something more fitting, even if it is to get noticed, its still for (YOU). You want to live longer, or be with Your significant other longer (YOU). Its all about you, so any work you put in is for you ... when your tired or dont feel like going, the only person you need to worry about is you. So why not really take care of yourself, because ever minute you put into being healthy you are paying out to yourself, so pay out big, go when you dont feel like it because its for you. Push a little harder when your tired because its for you. Ya Buddies are nice, and having a workout partner is nice, but at the end of the day everything you do is for you, so GO BE YOU :) Good luck.

And ^THIS^.... is awesome. This is the sort of MFP pal we all need!
  • SuziSuzuki
    Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice ... I guess I just need to push myself to get back on that treadmill. I have been reading some of the success stories and they are very motivational.
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    Just think of that nine pounds you have already lost an how much more it could be if you get back to the gym. Oh yea, and what he said.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice ... I guess I just need to push myself to get back on that treadmill. I have been reading some of the success stories and they are very motivational.

Yep, this. I'm betting if you push yourself to go - it will only take once or twice to get that inspiration and motivation back.
  • Vrouq
    Vrouq Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, i know how you feel, im lost to myself.... I dont feel like exercising ... I cant stop eating.... And i dont know how to get back in the "mood" :( Every day i just think of a new excuse not to exercise or to care. Xx
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Look, sometimes people only want something bad enough to work for it for a month, then they dont want it enough anymore.

Maybe next time you'll want it enough to work for it for like... a year, or at least 6 months - a solid number that can actually make a difference. Come back when you're serious about this challenge.

Good luck in your other endeavors!! :drinker:
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've changed my view of this. It is not about motivation. I must work out every other day, it is only a question of what time of the day.

Do you have motivation to get up early for work 5 times a week, be in train, sleet, or being up with the baby night?

Do you have a choice about going to work? Sure, you do. It just may not be a pleasant one. Same with this. *sigh*
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Options
    ^

self discipline and determination and willpower.

Not motivation. Motivation is just the Kool-Aid you drink with your multivitamin. Doesnt make the vitamin work, it just makes it easier.

To hell with easier, I want results so Im working for them.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Wow!! I needed this comment. It was so directed at me. Yes OP I am struggling a little in the motivation department myself. My work out buddies who were gung ho four months ago have all fallen by the wayside and it is just me now. It's tougher when you don't have an accountability partner.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we have to dig a little deeper and find that "spark" that we once had, and re-light the fire to get us running again. The truth is, your absolute BEST motivation will come from inside of you. All you have to do is find it.

What were you thinking when you started in January? Remember your excitement? Try to start back at the beginning and push forward again.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Standing in front of the mirror naked usually helps to refocus on why you're doing this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Options
    TRUTH IS - you dont need it.
  • laineymags22
    laineymags22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've lost 9lb since starting my new regime in January, I was sticking to going to the gym three times per week and eating healthily. Three weeks ago I had to miss a gym session because of work commitments and haven't been back since! I'm disgusted with myself that I could let it fall by the wayside so easily but I'm just so unmotivated to get back into the routine. I'm still continuing with the healthy eating, I haven't put any of the weight back on but I haven't lost any more either. The other thing is that my diet buddy at work left the company so the motivation that I used to get from her has evaporated too. Feeling pretty much like a failure at the mo, don't want to give up, just wish I could find some inspiration to give me that push I need again :-(

I know the feeling, I havent lost in a few weeks either and I am starting to now slack on the healthy eating. Remember, each morning begins a new day and bring along a fresh start. You know what you have to do, just do it. Once you get to the gym, old habits will return. And feel free to add me as a friend, I could use a diet buddy myself!
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I am definitely having an unmotivated day. It's an off day, so it's easy to just say "meh" and cuddle up with my cats.

But I made myself do my 30 minute easy cardio routine, and have resisted the temptation to have my husband bring home Snickers. (I've done a damned good job of keeping my naughtiest treats out of the house!)

Motivation is for the days when I challenge myself to get a badge on FitBit. I have no idea why that little icon makes me so happy, but it does!

No matter how unmotivated you are, do *something* every day. I wake up, feed my cats, eat a banana, drink a glass of water, walk 30 minutes, shower, and wake up my husband. It's just routine.

Find a way to make it part of yours.