Best Running Watches?

Options
agbaeb
agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
Hi! I do not have a smartphone, so I'm looking to get a good running watch to keep track of my time/splits, etc.

Suggestions???

Ok... go! =)

Replies

• agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 610, which I love. Its touch screen, keeps track of pace, splits, etc. I can instantly see what my mile pace is, which is what I was looking for. I think it retails for $400 or so (with a HRM strap), but I found it on sale at REI for $250. It acquires a GPS signal fairly quickly and has about 8 hours of battery life.

It can be used for biking as well (though I don't bike), and is water resistant (for running in the rain) but not water proof (not a tri watch).
  • jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin 110. It's about 2 years old so. HRM, splits, distance etc. Good entry level device.
  • 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i have the garmin forerunner 10 and love it. was about $120 and it does exactly what i need. keep time. track by gps and i do alot of run/walk so i can set it to alert me when to run and when to walk.
  • McCelmer
    McCelmer Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 305 - it came with a heart rate monitor but I never use it. I'm more concerned with pace and distance.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I loved my Garmin Forerunner 610 until it crapped out. I now use a Timex Ironman GPS watch. There are features on the Garmin I miss such as personalized workouts and vibration alarms when its time to run or walk or pick up the pace. But, the Garmin was only water resistant and I can swim with the Timex and its much cheaper (appx $150 vs $350). They both allow you to sync with your phone or laptop and they both have an iphone app to record and contrast your workouts. If you are carrying your iPhone and using a GPS app such as Map My Run then you won't need a GPS watch. Just get a Timex Ironman (non GPS) or a Polar (if you want a heart monitor)
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    i love my Nike+ GPS watch. Never used a garmin or anything, so not sure how it compares.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    i love my Nike+ GPS watch. Never used a garmin or anything, so not sure how it compares.

That's what I have as well. Had to shell out an extra $50 for HRM strap to use the Heart Rate functionality-only downside to the watch. It keeps track of everything during a run - HR, pace, elevation, etc. I'm very happy with it plus it looks cool (which is important!)
  • whankammer
    whankammer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have had a few running watches in my runing days.

I now use a Nike+ GPS watch and I love it. Use it indoor and outdoor with the footpod. Pay the extra money and get a Polar accurate HRM its a win win.

If you just want a good entry level GPS watch and for outdoor only without any bells and whistles grab the Garmin FR10. It's literally just a GPS watch. Nothing more. no HRM, no footpod, no nothing.

If you're looking for a decent midrange watch you have the Garmin FR210 or the Polar RC3. Both are solid watches, most runners have opted and used the FR210 at one point in their lives (least I know I have)

If you're looking for the OMG cream of the crop and have the money to blow on a $400+ watch there's the Garmin 610. It's pretty much the sexiest running watch on the market at the moment. Extremely feature rich, accurate, and pretty epic.

It all just comes down to a few things. Price, what you're looking for it to do, and what YOU are going to do with it. Do a google search for DC Rainmaker he does some AWESOME product reviews.
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I currently have a Garmin FR60. I received it as a Christmas present around 3 years ago. It has been used to log a couple thousand miles of running and biking. It is still running like a champ. But, I'll probably end up upgrading this year to a Garmin Forerunner 610 just because I love new gadgets.