Overnight eating

Good am,
I joined MFP to loose weight...but haven't signed on for over a week. I have just failed miserably.
My worst enemy is night eating.
I am here to help and be helped!!!!!
Patti

Replies

• KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Why does food seem so much more appetizing late at night? I just don't get it. Night eating has always been my problem too! We can do it hun. Just taking baby steps is still an improvement :)
  • My awful habit too!
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Mine is the weekend
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    I sleep walk and eat in my sleep. If you know you are going to eat at night, just make sure you save the calories.
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    You should seek therapy, this is not normal and you do not have to live with it.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    I thought there was something wrong with me because I eat at night. If there is anything sweet in my house I will wake up in the middle of the night and have some. Then go right back to sleep like it didn't happen. But the next morning I feel terrible.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I thought there was something wrong with me because I eat at night. If there is anything sweet in my house I will wake up in the middle of the night and have some. Then go right back to sleep like it didn't happen. But the next morning I feel terrible.

There is an extremely easy solution to this. Don't havev junk food in your house. It's dang near impossible to eat stuff taht you don't have. I've tried it and it never works
  • I recently read an article that said to eat most of your proteins throughout the day and then eat most of your carbs at night. I've been trying it for 10 days now and it has completely stopped my habit of getting up and eating in the middle of the night. And I don't wake up starving. :smile:
    I believe it was last month's issue of Woman's Day magazine. The info on why this works made sense.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    I have that problem, too. Like, immediately after dinner, I MUST have something sweet. There are no two ways about it, I'll go nuts and tear up the house searching for sugar.

I've learned to keep it under control by planning for and portioning out a small dessert for myself after dinner, which I usually eat while watching a movie or reading after we put the baby down for bed. (For me it's chocolate-covered raisins) Something about knowing I have a delicious treat waiting for me at the end of the day helps keep the junk food demons at bay.
  • ElizabethKG1983
    ElizabethKG1983 Posts: 76 Member
    I used to do that too! I would be half asleep eating cookies and sweets in the kitchen and then go right back to bed. For me it was the worst when I was going through my divorce and a lot of emotional turmoil. I don't ever have the urge to do it now, but for years I had that issue and it was so frustrating. Hugs.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    We're all struggling with something. If I'm going to lose control, it will be late afternoon. I've never gotten out of bed to eat. But it boils down to the same problem in the end.
  • 699mikep
    699mikep Posts: 2
    just eat something lite. mabye some yogurt, or i like peanut butter on some crackers.
  • I still do this too. Solution for me? Seedless red grapes. I always keep some in the fridge and 1 cup only has about 100 calories. The water content on the grapes will help satisfy the hunger craving since it will make you feel fuller. I sometimes will use a teaspoon of sugar-free chocolate syrup and dip a few in too!
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    i would always get hungry later in the day so i snack during the day (healthy small meals ) and then have my dinner rather late i know you should eat late at night blab blab blab but it works for me so i do it im not hungry during the day sometimes running round after my son i forget to eat at all ... but i do enjoy my dinners =D
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    The first step is to get in the habit of logging your food. Log on every day and track what you eat. Weigh or measure your food carefully so your log is as accurate as you can make it. Once you get a clear picture of what you've been doing, you can make gradual changes to put yourself on a healthier path.
  • I use diet Jello for an after dinner snack and if I get the urge to eat later in the evening and only 10 calories a 1/2 cup serving but the 50 mg of sodium sucks.
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Welcome back!! I absolutely know that feeling. My kryptonite is watching things. I HAVE to be watching something if I'm eating, and if I'm eating, I have to be watching something. Which mostly happens at night. I think its boredom quite honestly.

You can do this. Do not let food have power over YOU. : )
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    I sleep walk and eat in my sleep. If you know you are going to eat at night, just make sure you save the calories.

this is what i do
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    I drink a protein shake before bed. Mmmmm Chocolate
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Save the calories or I keep a veggie bowl and chomp on those as much as I want and I don't feel guilty. But if you are hungry (a grumbling tummy) eat something real, not junk. It's more important to feel satisfied than it is to worry about how many caloires you are eating as long as you're eating HEALTHY.