Eggshell Membrane

Options
dym123
dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
I was watching Steven and Chris the other day and they discussed Eggshell Membrane as a joint health supplement. The woman on the show claimed it helped her in as little as 5 days, so I did a little research and saw that it did have some successes in small studies. Just wanted to know if anyone else has tried this and had success.

I've tried Omega-3 and Sam-E with no noticeable improvement. I've also tried Glucosamine Chondroitin many years ago and blew up like a balloon so that's out too.

Thanks!

Replies

• dym123
    Options
    bump
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I was watching Steven and Chris the other day and they discussed Eggshell Membrane as a joint health supplement.

Never heard of this. But I don't normally look to interior designers for health advice.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you can get it down, I do not see how it can hurt. If it does work, let us know.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I was watching Steven and Chris the other day and they discussed Eggshell Membrane as a joint health supplement.

Never heard of this. But I don't normally look to interior designers for health advice.

I'll have to agree on this.
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think an extract from egg shell membrane is used in Dr Mercola's joint formula. Check his site.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think an extract from egg shell membrane is used in Dr Mercola's joint formula. Check his site.

I would not pay any attention to that quack.
  • mikeberthold
    mikeberthold Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If there were a quick way/simple pill to lose weight that actually worked, whoever sold it would be rich beyond their wildest imagination.

Since it's pretty much all quackery, they have to rely on people's hopes and dreams to lose weight easily while still magically eating whatever they want and scam their money that way.

The only proven and effective way to lose weight is to lower your calorie intake to below your total calorie expenditure on a long-term basis. Simple as that.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I hate when the eggshell membrane sticks to my hard boiled eggs. that stuff is nasty!
  • dym123
    Options
    If there were a quick way/simple pill to lose weight that actually worked, whoever sold it would be rich beyond their wildest imagination.

Since it's pretty much all quackery, they have to rely on people's hopes and dreams to lose weight easily while still magically eating whatever they want and scam their money that way.

The only proven and effective way to lose weight is to lower your calorie intake to below your total calorie expenditure on a long-term basis. Simple as that.

I specifically said this was for joint health, not weight loss. Take a note of my ticker, ALL lost on hard work, not weight loss supplements.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Or that study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2697588/

Here are the issues with the study.
    Number of patients is minimal in each phase
    Study design was open ended and not blind
    Sample size was not even estimated
    And there is serious conflict of interest with most (all) investigators.

And the ticker: no reduction in emergency use of pain medication was observed in either group.

I'm sorry, that study wasn't useful.

The next study by the group

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2711914/

adresses some of the issues raised by the first. There is still a conflict of interest.

However, given that a response and reduction to pain should occur within 7 days for a quarter of the test population - one might try these and see. The second study would get me to do my own test.
  • mikeberthold
    mikeberthold Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I specifically said this was for joint health, not weight loss. Take a note of my ticker, ALL lost on hard work, not weight loss supplements.

Apologies, that's what I get for reading too quickly.
  • dym123
    Options
    Quick update (if anyone actually cares) I decided to try the eggshell membrane supplement, had an Amazon e-certificate so not really costing me anything, after 3 days I'm already noticing a vast improvement in my mobility, normally when I sit for too long, especially at work, my knee is stiff and sore, not today. Hoping for more good results. Carry on.