Feeling weak during working..

Options
Lately I’ve been pushing myself extra hard to complete my exercise routines. My muscles don’t feel weak or sore I just feel weak. I have low iron and the feeling I get is the same as when I don't take my iron supplements. I’m not sure if that makes sense but that’s the best way I can describe the feeling. Yesterday I had to stop after 40 mins and I felt bad but I really couldn’t push myself for the extra 20 minutes. I thought I was going to faint. Today I felt weak but I still pushed myself to finish.

After my workout I try to have some protein in the form of food like a boiled egg, piece of meat or hummus with some veggies. I know some people usually have a protein shake before or after their workout but I don’t like milky drinks.

Is this a natural feeling? Am I doing something wrong? Or am I just being paranoid?

Replies

• imperfect188
    Options
    bump
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Exercise will really suck the iron out of you. If you already have low iron, then it can really make you tired. I have iron deficient anemia as a result of Crohn's disease and had to get 6 IV iron infusions last year. Now I'm able to maintain my iron levels through food and don't have to take supplements, which are generally poorly absorbed. Feel free to check out my diary for ideas.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    What is your carb intake? Low carb can make you feel that way especially when exercising.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It sounds like maybe you are just not eating enough to fuel your exercise. What type of exercise are you doing and how many calories do you eat per day?
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    What is your carb intake? Low carb can make you feel that way especially when exercising.

this
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the carbs question..
  • imperfect188
    Options
    Exercise will really suck the iron out of you. If you already have low iron, then it can really make you tired. I have iron deficient anemia as a result of Crohn's disease and had to get 6 IV iron infusions last year. Now I'm able to maintain my iron levels through food and don't have to take supplements, which are generally poorly absorbed. Feel free to check out my diary for ideas.

In the morning before I workout I take my iron supplement thinking that it would help. Thank you for the infromation. I will check out your food diary.

I usually workout right after my first breakfast which is a plain bowl of oatmeal. If not then it's after work before my dinner.

My carb intake for the day is suppose to be 200g but it could go up to 300g when I workout. I'm usually a bit under and my daily carb intake is between 150-180. My intake usually consist of...
    For breakfast I usually have 1 slice of bread/half a pita or english muffin.
    For lunch I usually have a sandwhich or some sort of wrap. On the rare occassion I will have one serving of grain (rice, couscous or bulgar).
    For dinner I try to limit my carb intake. I usually don't have any carbs or if I have any type of grain i'll limit the serving to half. I try to limit my carb intake during the evening because I know I won't be able to burn it off because I did my workout in the morning.
    It sounds like maybe you are just not eating enough to fuel your exercise. What type of exercise are you doing and how many calories do you eat per day?

30-40 mins jogging
    25 minute workout video + 10-15 minutes (squats, jumping jacks, lunges, ab workourt).

I eat approximately 1650 calories.

Because I excercise I'm allowed to eat an extra 500 calories but I usually don't because I don't feel hungry. When I do feel hungry it's late so I just drink tea to supress the feeling.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Moniter your carb intake and how you feel. Some people if they eat too many carbs they get lethargic but you do need to eat enough to fuel your workouts and daily life. Don't limit your carbs at night if you don't have to. Also regarding your workout, you may want to switch it. Do the resistance exercise first followed by the cardio. Resistance portion (squats, ab work, upperbody work) of your workout uses mostly glycogen as it's fuel source. When you do cardio you burn glycogen first and then fat. In theory if you do the resistance first some of your glycogen stores will be used so by the time you begin your cardio, you will begin burning fat earlier.
  • imperfect188
    Options
    Thank you. I will try switiching around my routine.