SWAT physical

Options
Well, the date is here. April 4th or 8th. I will be attempting to pass my department's SWAT physical test.

To state the obvious, this is the set of physical exercises one must pass to be on the SWAT team :). I have been a Police Officer for 16 years, but when I was in the proper rank to be eligible to join the SWAT team, I was too out of shape. I am now too high of a rank to be eligible to join, but I have challenged myself to be in good enough shape to pass the tests -- kind of a fitness "bucket list" if you will. I have just been told the test will be set up on one of those two dates and I can go jump in.

Now, to be perfectly upfront and truthful, when the officers are really trying out for SWAT, they will not get very far just meeting the minimums; it is after all, a competition. There are minimum and maximum numbers for each of the exercises.

The testing consists of two parts:
Part 1 - is a timed obstacle course that simulates chasing a suspect for several minutes. Up and down stairs, climbing over fences, pushing and pulling weights etc. Enough to take the wind out of anyone. This is a timed test, and must be completed in 3:45. (To get on the department, the pass is 4:45, and while in recruit training, the pass is 4:15).

Part 2 consists of a series of exercises done immediately after the simulated chase. They are chin ups, dips, push ups, and sit ups. Each is judged extremely critically, one on one, as you are performing them. For example, the push ups must be a full drop (chest to floor) and full extension to elbow lockout at the top or the rep does not count. Same with the other ones. Full drop + full extension or it doesn't count. There are time limits for each exercise, and only a few seconds in between each. Each exercise is doable on their own, but it's the lack of recovery in between, and doing all only after you're already gassed from the simulated chase that makes it hard.

Wish me luck my fellow MFPers!

Hopefully, I can later post this in "Success Stories".

Replies

• ralandon89
    ralandon89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Sometimes, all we need is the knowledge and affirmation that we CAN do it. You got this!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Good luck dood <friendly SWAT to *kitten*>
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    that sounds like quite a challenge, good luck!!
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    wow sounds really fun and challenging! Wish someone could follow you around with a camera and make a video for us to watch!Good luck anyhoo!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun! Good luck.
  • sydneywb86
    sydneywb86 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! Look forward to hearing great success story once you've kicked butt! ;-)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

I'm an LEO wife and LE employee, so I know how important this testing can be. I'm sure you'll do great! :)
  • adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Best wishes!! I know that Part One is a biotch! I ran the PARE when trying out for the RCMP 6 years ago and missed it by 10 seconds and thought I was going to die!! I was given another chance because they were on a huge hiring for women, and for that reason I didnt go back..lol I was kind of stubborn!!

You're going to KICK this SWAT physicals REAR!!!
  • mayerrocks
    mayerrocks Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    WE ALL KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!! Best of luck!!!!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Crush it! Show those recruits how it's done!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Good luck! My hubby was SWAT for 11 years, and now is the Hostage Negotiator team leader. I've been LE for almost 17 years. Tested for SWAT once, but didn't make then. Then had kids and we couldn't both be on the team. Interesting thought...testing just to see if I could. :ohwell:
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You so got this!!! Good luck!!!!!!
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You can totally SWAT this outstanding the park sir!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Good luck man!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I have no doubt that you will qualify for your bucket list task.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Kick some *kitten*, officer! :bigsmile:
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    12774303308C76RY.jpg