How often do you weigh yourselves

Options
I was just curious because even though I have changed the way I have been eating for only 3 days I am wanting to jump on the scale and just see if I have lost any weight. I also have a feeling that everyday I am going to want to jump on that scale and see if the numbers are shrinking, however I am concerned that I will get really discouraged if I dont even see 1 number fall off that scale. So I was wondering, once you started to change your life to make yourself healthier how often did you get on the scale and when did you see the numbers getting smaller?

Replies

• Chelsinicole63
    Chelsinicole63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday...
    My logic is that if the number goes down, Im motivated to keep it going down.
    and if it goes up, Ill know its because of either not following my diet of fluctuation.
    Either way it makes me more motivated to follow my diet.
    and if i only weigh once a week, ill have that day of "oh, my weigh in day is in a few days, I can eat a little more if i want." which is bad
  • h_eloise86
    h_eloise86 Posts: 124
    Options
    I also weigh myself everyday.
    Pretty much for the same reasons.
    When I see my numbers going down I know i'm putting in the right work.
    If I see my numbers go up I start to re-evaluate what I am doing.
    (And for some reason it has made me drink so much more water)
    But I only record my weight once a week :)
  • tgaul
    tgaul Posts: 123
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. If I do it daily I would stress out on the number. I would suggest that you do your measurements as well. Sometimes we don't see the loss on the scale but are losing inches.
    I hope this helps.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    every day. It keeps me from saying, "oh I can eat that today b/c I don't weigh in for 5 more days" etc etc. I don't expect a loss everyday, I just like to make sure the general trend is downward! :smile:
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    i weigh in every time i go to the gym. its nice if you don't weigh in for a while and see a bigger number but i also like to see the steady decline.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i weigh everyday, but i don't let the number affect my mood. fluctuations are natural, and i appreciate knowing how what i ate affects the scale.
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    I too weigh every day! It helps me stay on track :D
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I weigh twice a week although I only count the reading I get on the friday. I stepped on the scales on friday and had lost a pound but stood on it a day later and was up 0.6 of a pound! You could get discouraged if you weight every day!

I don't have a scale in my house and use my mothers when I go over there...this helps prevent the urge to weight constantly! I would stick to 2 times a week (no more) to ensure you keep an accurate idea of your progress.

All the best
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Note to "Sugarhi":
    I noticed you have lost 275 lbs! Very wonderful, woman. Evidently, weighing every day has worked we for you.
    Again, congratulations! :drinker:
  • angela75022
    angela75022 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Once a week... on Sunday morning... and the scale gets put away for the rest of the week.

It will drive you nuts... your weight will fluxuate from day to day... today may be a good # and tomorrow is 2lbs heavier and you don't know why. You may be just retaining a lil extra water or even stress can do it. Weighing everyday can be detrimental to your progress, because if you're not seein the #'s shift in the right direction, you may get discourged and think you're doing something wrong.

And on the plus side... as women... we get to skip the week we're on our monthly lol

Hope this helps.
    ~Ang
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily. It helps keep me aware of how my eating affects my weigh, like lack of water or too much sodium. And it is nice to see the number going down for a bit of motivation. I have an official weigh in day for a 10 Week Challenge I'm doing on here, so I can track what I'm losing within a week. Otherwise, I just log a pound lost at a time, so no logging the pound until it's below 177.0 for example. I'm a bit OCD so I don't think I could weigh in weekly, but when I'm home in Jersey or on vacation, I can survive without a scale. Memorial Day weekend I did well.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Wow - I'm surprised to see how many of you weigh daily. That would drive me nuts! I do have the urge to weigh myself daily, but I fight it because I get discouraged if I see the number go up - and it does fluctuate throughout the week. I weigh in weekly, and take my measurements monthly. Hey - whatever works, huh? :flowerforyou:
  • DwightJenkins
    DwightJenkins Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Once a week, Saturday morning, as soon as I get up and before I've had anything to eat or drink.
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    Once a week, at the gym, same time in the morning either a Monday or a Tuesday morning.
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Every morning, after my coffee and (hopefully) after a bowel movement. But always before my breakfast! I weigh myself in my undies.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning on my way to the kitchen to make coffee. I know my weight can fluctuate about 2 lbs or so and I do keep that in mind. But my main reason is to keep the focus of eating healthy in my mind every day. When I get late night cravings, I get on the scale and look at the number ... then go get a drink of water and a few crunchy veggies.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Once a week if that often... in clothes (usually about the same thing, jeans and a t-shirt) but no shoes. I figure that is the way I weigh at the doctor's office so I want to keep them similar to see how their scale compares to mine. :)
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Every day, but I only record it on mondays. I agree with others reasoning.. if it goes down, you know you're doing something right. If it goes up I am motivated to switch it up and try harder.
  • AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
    Options
    I've just started. But my plan is to weigh once a week. I did weigh a day early this week cause I just needed to know.
  • fmralskn86
    fmralskn86 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I personally am weighing myself every three weeks. I read Jared Fogle's book (the Subway guy). He really encourages not using the scale as a crutch to see what you are doing. Let your body tell you by the way your clothes are starting to fit. You are less likely to get discouraged if you don't lose the amount you were hoping for--case in point, my weigh in last Monday was a little discouraging as I only lost 6 pounds the second three weeks, after having lost 17 pounds the first three weeks. But I know it was stressful the last three weeks of school and I look forward to seeing how the summer goes. Use your best judgment; just don't get discouraged.