Is losing 7lbs a month too slow?

Options
Some stats:
SW: 177
CW: 163
GW: 145? (going to see how I feel could be more could be less)

The past two months I’ve weighed in I’ve lost 7lbs each time. Although this is better than a 7lb gain, is it good enough? I’m not noticing any changes in my body and I’m not near dropping any size in clothes. Does 7lbs seem too slow or is it just me being impatient? :smile:

Replies

• bioniccheese
    Options
    Definitely is good enough, 1lb a week is a good goal to have and you're over achieving from that. Great work.
  • elaineanne1
    elaineanne1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great.
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That's great. It means between 1 and 2 lbs a week on average.
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Have you taken waist, hips and neck measurements? You might not see a difference but the tape measure might!
  • 24redwine
    24redwine Posts: 43
    Options
    That's excellent progress! Any more than that and I think it could be concerning -- too fast, won't stay off, etc. I'm surprised you are not seeing or feeling changes though. If you are working out several days per week, both cardio and strength training, you will notice changes and your clothes will get loose as you firm up and burn off fat. I've lost 22 pounds and people are just starting to notice or mention it, but I could feel the difference in my clothes at 5-10 pounds lost. You are moving in the right direction, so take it a day at a time. I sometimes get impatient thinking about how far I have to go, but if you do it faster, it won't be healthy or lasting. And...losing is so much better than NOT losing! Good luck.
  • PaulaS1220
    PaulaS1220 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    7 lbs a month is awesome! I'd be thrilled with that. Congrats and keep up the good work.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    That is fabulous progress! Congratulations! Try taking some measurements -- and I'd bet your clothes are looser than you realize!
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    7lbs a month is fantastic progress and no, you shouldn't aim to lose more IMO.

The bottom line is that anyone can crash diet and either live on dust or tie themselves to a treadmill 24hrs a day in order to lose mental amounts of weight a month, however because what they did to lose the weight isn't a realistic lifestyle change and isn't generally sustainable, the result is that many put all the weight back on.

You're far better off making lifestyle changes that you can keep up and losing weight in a slow, steady and maintainable way.
  • kaybelieve
    kaybelieve Posts: 118
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies/information!

Feel free to add me.
  • DanaMcCrea
    DanaMcCrea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've lost 16 lbs since starting Jan 1st. I have noticed ZERO change in my clothes. Still in the same size. It's frustrating for me but I know it won't do me any good to quit. I'm bound to drop a clothing size at some point. Still in a size 14 :(
    SW - 166
    CW - 150
    GW - 130
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! Keep up the good work!

As for not seeing/feeling the difference yet if you're anything like me I wouldn't worry. I tend to lose all over my body fairly equally unlike many people who will lose in specific areas. Because I lose all over it takes longer to notice but my body stays very proportional which I am happy with. Some people lose it all from below the waist or from up top and look disproportionate. I usually don't notice it till about 20ish pounds then all the sudden I see a difference :bigsmile: .
  • auntiejack
    auntiejack Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    No thats great I've only lost that in 2 months, and I have noticed my trousers are way looser now than when I started.
  • TennisNerd13
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds a few years ago (have put most of it back on now) and only went from a size 16 to a 14. I guess that is a feature of being tall; the weight is easier to hide going on, but also doesn't make a huge difference coming off.
  • TennisNerd13
    Options
    I've lost 16 lbs since starting Jan 1st. I have noticed ZERO change in my clothes. Still in the same size. It's frustrating for me but I know it won't do me any good to quit. I'm bound to drop a clothing size at some point. Still in a size 14 :(
    SW - 166
    CW - 150
    GW - 130
    Sorry my previous post was in response to this. :tongue:
  • ssyer
    ssyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic, I have lost 70 pounds in the last 19 months, some weeks I have only lost 1/2 pounds, I have gone down several dress sizes from 24 uk to 14 bottoms but 16 tops uk, I can tell you now you will notice the difference in clothes all of a sudden, things like my watch got big went further up my arm, and all of a sudden I had three different people said how they could see I had suddenly lost weight all in the same day. I have ended up with a lot of saggy skin which they say happens when you lose it to quick but for me it was that I was very over weight, so don't worry as long as its a steady weight lose its good.

Keep doing what you are doing, your doing fine and good luck keep up the good work.
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was about the same as you, and it sounds about right. I know at a point you reach a stall once you get below 30% BF.

SW: 186
    CW: 162
    GW: 150 (for now)

I started around Thanksgiving, but for arguments sake, we'll say December 1.

December I lost 9 lbs
    January I lost 8 lbs
    February I lost 7 lbs.

So I would say you are on the same speed as I am. We both have the same way to go! By the way, I haven't dropped a dress size yet either, although my current clothes are starting to fall off me. I'm still stuck in a 12 but close to a 10. However I have gone from a Large to Medium.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No, what makes you think it is?

It's hard for me to get 7 pound losses a month and I weigh quite a bit more than you. You're doing just fine.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    2 pounds a week is good
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me!? That is wonderful!
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    SW - 166
    CW - 150
    GW - 130

thats exactly what I thought.... I am size 9 and all my size 9 pants in my closet fit just fine.... but when I go shopping size 8 is too big for me and size 6 too small.... I'm guessing I feel no changes with my old clothe because I wear it all the time...

SW: 154
    CW: 144