A lil confused

Options
:huh:
Hi everyone,
Im in week 2, lost 2.2 lbs so far but I have a quick question:
There are times where I might have anywhere from 300-400 (these are usually the added calories from working out earlier during the day) calories left at about 7pm on the weekends b/c Im on the go all day,
Is it a good idea to try to consume them by the end of the night? (bedtime 1030p)
I have heard its not a good idea to eat past a certain time at night (7pm?) but In order to make sure I get my calorie intake in I'd have to eat past that certain time.
Any input would be very helpful!
Thanks!

Replies

• bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have heard that 7pm rule, too, but it has not affected my weight loss. I continually eat up to my bedtime (11:30pm) in order to try to fit all my calories in. This has not kept me from losing a pound a week.
    Hope it applies to you, too. :drinker:
  • coley009
    coley009 Posts: 4
    Options
    You have to go with your body. You need to eat them because your metabolism will actually slow down if you do not eat enough. I think it totally depends on each person. Some people eat all night long and still lose, others do not. I would suggest eating a bigger breakfast which is satisfying and keeps you going all day long and then if you want, a snack after dinner before 8. I've heard if you are still active after dinner, eat, but if you lounge around, do not. Like I said, try eating late if you want and if you weight loss slows, try adding calories elsewhere.
  • waymethb
    waymethb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I too eat right up until bedtime...sometimes thats the only time I get to eat those extra calories! I think as long as you keep it light and healthy you should be fine!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Eating past 7:00 is a myth. Eat whenever you'd like.

Maybe you could add a little something else to your other meals? So that it equals your extra 300-400 later.
  • Nikki_Marz
    Nikki_Marz Posts: 35
    Options
    I've heard that 7pm rule and I've heard others say its a myth.
    I myself work a lot of shift work so that rule wouldn't be practical for me, but I think ideally you should have no BIG meals, or snacks that are laden with a lot of proteins and fat about 3 hours before bedtime, so that way anything that requires your body to do a lot of work in digesting it (ie the fats and proteins) are mostly digested or started to be digested by the time you go to bed.
    Carbs (breads, veggies fruits) all digest fairly quickly so I think they are safe to eat right up to bedtime, but they come with that extra little sugar rush that you'll have to be prepared for.

I have a huge issue with wanting to snack at bedtime, so I've allowed myself a bowl of cereal lately an hour before bed (little bit of protein and fat, and mostly carbs in the cereal), just to tide me over, sustain me until morning and it seems to be doing great for me and is about 170 calories...hope that helps
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on what time is your bedtime. Around 7pm, I usually have around 700 calories left because I don't eat dinner until all my kids are in bed, which is around 8:30 so I eat dinner at 9pm. So I usually eat a 200 cal snack at 7-7:30 pm then a 300 cal dinner around 9pm and a 200 calorie late night snack around 11pm. My bed time is around 12 or 1am, so I eat up until an hour before I go to bed.

Try to eat/snack on healthy foods in the evening, like fruits, veggies, chicken or fish. Stay away from bad carbs and/or processed foods to catch up on your calories at night. This is what I've been doing for over 5 months now and I've lost 28 pounds! :happy: Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It isn't when you eat it is what you eat. As long as you are making good food choices when you are eating shouldn't matter.
  • Richelle73
    Richelle73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What if you had a big breakfast, eat most of your calories through out the day, then you will have less to eat in the evening.
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I agree, 7:00 is an old school myth. It doesn't matter when you eat your calories.
  • irish077
    irish077 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!
    All your info is helpful.
    Its good to hear from experience and not what you read in magazines.
    I do eat light like a small salad.
    All of you have such great results w/ your weight loss! Keep up the great work
    :happy:
  • mariadesam
    Options
    Hi, My name is Maria. Yes you can do a light snack before bedtime, but nothing heavy.