When running/walking - distance or time?

Options
What is more important or effective?
I tell myself I'll get on the treadmill for 30 minutes of cardio but I hate getting off at 1.78 miles.
Is it more effective to be on the treadmill for 30 minutes or the whole 2 miles?

Replies

• whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. For general fitness, going for time is fine -- eventually you will cover more miles.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that both are equally important - the faster you walk, the more calories/minute burned. The brisker the walk, the better the cardio workout
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think generally time comes before speed.

Start building up you're time then speed and eventually both will increase
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I usually go for time....however if I'm really close to a distance mark, I will push myself to finish up that distance, it usually only takes another couple of minutes.
  • _tanya
    _tanya Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So long as you are doing something you are on the right track!

I tend to stick with some horse endurance riding philosophy - speed or distance, but never change both at the same time.

I like to follow a program that shows me where I can end up if I keep working at it.

Years ago I took a Learn to Run program at the Running Room. I highly recomend it. After 10 weeks I was running for 20 minutes straight and about 2 miles. It was easy to follow and I never had a moment where I thought I couldn't do it.

Good luck :)
  • GoNicoleee
    Options
    So long as you are doing something you are on the right track!

I tend to stick with some horse endurance riding philosophy - speed or distance, but never change both at the same time.

I like to follow a program that shows me where I can end up if I keep working at it.

Years ago I took a Learn to Run program at the Running Room. I highly recomend it. After 10 weeks I was running for 20 minutes straight and about 2 miles. It was easy to follow and I never had a moment where I thought I couldn't do it.

Good luck :)

Wow, that sounds like something I would like to try. I don't have a Running Room near me though, but if I did, I would sooo try that!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    If you are simply looking to burn calories then time is better than distance in most cases.