Vegan/Vegetarian thread (smell of meat)

Options
I've been a vegan for quite some time. I'm very satisfied with the variety of foods I eat. I however, live with onmivores and they don't care one little bit that the smell of meat makes me want to vomit. I've told them a billion times that I'd prefer it if they cooked on the grill or when I'm not here but well, they're selfish.

Does anyone have any tips to reduce nausea like this? Even my room ends up smelling like meat. I end up having to stuff tissues in my nose.

Replies

• NothingsChanged
    NothingsChanged Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years, and i recently went complete vegan. there are some meats that i smell is horrifying, like hotdogs. i had to transfer classes in college once because the cafe in the building was always making hotdogs when i left class. so gross!

suggestions:
    opening a window, turning on the fan to push out the smell.
    burning a candle or incense in the room you are in.
    have the cooks open a kitchen window/ fan.
    inhaling the scent of peppermint should decrease the nausea.
    ginger tea/ snaps/ ale/ candy can help nausea too.
    remind them [kindly] to not cook inside when they are prepping there meat.

worse case:
    go out and vomit on them while they are cooking meat.
    move out.

hopefully it will never have to get to that point. best of luck!
  • thebr0kenhead
    Options
    Thanks. The peppermint and ginger is a good idea. Yeah, I had the same problem in college, I lived right next to the cafeteria and it made me sick when I opened the window and it was just thr right wind outside. It's hard in winter because I can't open the window.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    get some new housemates (or if it's your family, move out), maybe find an all-vegetarian/vegan house share? You can't really expect omnivores not to cook meat, and you can't really cook meat without making a smell (it even smells cooked on a grill), although if there's an extractor fan in the kitchen, they should have the courtesy to use it for your benefit (and also to stop the house smelling of cooking smells generally). And although stuff like burning incense in your room will help, it's not really a long term solution.
  • liketobefit1001
    Options
    I am pure vegan like you. But I have had partners and friends who ate all sorts.

I feel accepatnce and traning our mind also helps. When you smell good flavoured meat..smell it as an aroma...and know that its somthing you dont eat and its just like another smell.

Sid
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    They're selfish because they don't want to limit the times they can eat to when you're out of the house? Yikes.

I think it's a little more selfish to expect a house full of people to revolve around you and your preferences.

Light a candle and get over it.
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    They're selfish because they don't want to limit the times they can eat to when you're out of the house? Yikes.

I think it's a little more selfish to expect a house full of people to revolve around you and your preferences.

I've been vegetarian for years and I can't stand the smell either but I totally agree with this.
  • lunnay
    lunnay Posts: 66 Member
    Options

This. You say you live with omnivores, is it right to assume they are more than the vegan/vegetarian members of the house?
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options

I've been vegetarian for years and I can't stand the smell either but I totally agree with this.
    Likewise.....

Yankee Candle haul time OP :flowerforyou:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i'm an omnivore and love the taste of bacon, but can't stand the smell of it cooking. wanna know what i do? i open a window and let some fresh air into the house.

the smell goes away. pissing off your roommates by complaining and calling them selfish doesn't.

themoreyouknow.jpg
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

Ditto. My mom cooks bacon at least a few times a week so I just go out on the deck or leave the house for an hour or so.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

This!

I'm a vegan and my fiancé is vegetarian. However, when I was younger, my parents owned a pub and restaurant, it pretty much stank of meat all day long, I didn't like it but meh, there are far more pressing issues to contend with in life than bad smells.
    Get over it.
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me.

I don't smoke, but I also like the smell of pipe tobacco
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    im vegan and im totally fine with the smell of meat cooking. its worse when its raw. the smell makes me gag so much
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm not fond of it, and I really HATE the smell of seafood...but not nausea . I wish there were free zones but I guess the reality is they are the overwhelming majority, and if I can get thru a meal without someone saying...."wow, your a veg? what do you eat?"...or
    "wow - to bad your a veg, you can't eat this delish food"

any fellow veggies feel free to friend me up :)
  • thebr0kenhead
    Options
    Ok, fair enough that it might be a little selfish of me to ask them to cook outside or when I'm not there, But they take domain over whatever they want all the time. If I'm sitting on the couch and they want to sit on it together alone, they tell me to leave. If I'm eating dinner on the table, they tell me to hurry up so they can eat at the table. If I'm eating in the living room they tell me I can't and then the next day host a damn feast in front of the tv. They're contradictory. And they really are jerks.
    I wouldn't do something that intentionally made someone sick.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Nice suggestions in this thread. I'm sucking on Trader Joe's ginger mints next time I cook meat. I went vegan a few weeks ago and the smell of meat is sickening now. Not the most pleasant thing when you prepare all the meals for your meat eating family. Wish you the best, OP.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegan for quite some time. I'm very satisfied with the variety of foods I eat. I however, live with onmivores and they don't care one little bit that the smell of meat makes me want to vomit. I've told them a billion times that I'd prefer it if they cooked on the grill or when I'm not here but well, they're selfish.

Does anyone have any tips to reduce nausea like this? Even my room ends up smelling like meat. I end up having to stuff tissues in my nose.

Either get over it or move out. Noone has to accommodate you (not even restaurants you may live by).
  • pepperdove
    pepperdove Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ok, fair enough that it might be a little selfish of me to ask them to cook outside or when I'm not there, But they take domain over whatever they want all the time. If I'm sitting on the couch and they want to sit on it together alone, they tell me to leave. If I'm eating dinner on the table, they tell me to hurry up so they can eat at the table. If I'm eating in the living room they tell me I can't and then the next day host a damn feast in front of the tv. They're contradictory. And they really are jerks.
    I wouldn't do something that intentionally made someone sick.

So this sounds like the problem isn't really their cooking habits, it's their lack of respect for you as a housemate overall. How is it youall live together?
  • thebr0kenhead
    Options
    Nice suggestions in this thread. I'm sucking on Trader Joe's ginger mints next time I cook meat. I went vegan a few weeks ago and the smell of meat is sickening now. Not the most pleasant thing when you prepare all the meals for your meat eating family. Wish you the best, OP.

How do you do it! That's so crazy. It's been so long for me, I can't even touch meat anymore, even if I have to touch dirty meat dishes, I cringe.