Give me some sugar...

Options
Let me start by giving you some background information. My macros are 35/35/30 Carb/Protein/Fat. I almost always hit my macros or am within 5-10%. Based on my net carb target I am allowed to consume I usually go way over the allotted Sugar numbers (sometimes even double). I do not have a sweet tooth, but love fresh fruit. I come usually 10% short of my fiber totals, and normally pretty close to me overall carb totals usually +/- 5-10% weekly.

My family has history of diabetis (earlier onset for those over weight) later if not never onset with good builds.

Should I be concerned about my sugar numbers going forward? or should as long as I keep close to my macros do the sugar numbers not really matter?

(I hope this makes sense)

Replies

• cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that unless you have a medical condition that requires you to regulate your sugar intake specifically (e.g., diabetes), then sugar is simply one type of carb that falls under the "carb" umbrella and there's no need to restrict or monitor it.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    A doctor or nutritionist that specializes in diabetes would be more knowledgeable than the internet.
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump - cause I am very curious for the answer as well. Similar family background and similar nutritional style. I have backed away from most of the refined sugar in my diet but I will forever love ice cream. Which I refuse to say I will never eat again.
  • princessbee76
    princessbee76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    "The American Heart Association states that men should not consume more than 9 tbsp. of sugar in a day. This measurement of sugar equates to a recommended limit of 45 g of sugar per day for men."

That being said, I personally don't eat any "added" sugar in the form of sweets, processed baked goods, chips, candy, cookies or juices. I try to keep my sugars to those in fruit and other naturally occurring foods. I will drink my Almond milk which does have some sugar but that is only 2-3 times a week and I use Truvia in my coffee. My opinion is as long as it is a natural form and you keep it in check you should be fine. But, next time you go to your doctor, ask him/her what they think especially considering your family history.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I believe the recommended sugar intake on MFP is based on the RDA, which is really for 'added' sugars. So naturally occuring from food like fruit and dairy really isn't a concern for most people, its the extra sugars you should watch. I am not sure if it is an issue for diabetes though.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I am borderline diabetic (A1C = 6.4). The only sugar I monitor is the raw sugar I use when preparing food or in coffee or tea. That raw sugar is maybe 1.5 TBSP/day. I have cut sweets out of my diet, ok, maybe once a month I have cake, etc. And my A1C is getting lower and lower.
  • djfriedman81
    Options
    My sugar numbers change based upon my total calorie targets. The more calories I can consume the more sugar it allows me to consume. My macro mix is almost 50% less than USRDA as I only consume about 150+ grams of total carbs not the 300 RDI