How does Biggest Loser do it?

Options
5% body weight in 2 weeks. I wonder what their calorie intake is VS their exercise calorie burn is. Fat/ soium.carbs/ protein?
I dont know how they consistently drop large numbers? If I cut my calories too low, I dont lose a thing even if I up my exercise. ITs a fine balancing game for me...so I wonder how they do it?

And what about the women with the TOM, I cant seem to lose an ounce no matter what I do during that time....just trying to figure it out...anyone have any ideas? And they were at home last episode so its not the trainers and/or cooks....I need to know ; ) lol

Replies

• nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It's not real life.

A week on TV is not always actually a week.

They do have customised calorie goals. I have seen 1200-1500 mentioned for different people.

They Workout as much as 6 hours a day.

They put on weight before the programme starts.

They dehydrate in special suits before the weigh in to reduce water weight. They also sometimes wear more clothes during workout to sweat more. They then take them off for the cameras.

They often put weight back on afterwards
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    What you see on The Biggest Loser is actually very unhealthy and dangerous weight loss, and yeah they do typically gain it back.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    They slipped up last week with the 5% because they tried to let us believe it was a one week time period but Joe said a couple times that he'd been home for 2 weeks. They eat VLCD, workout 6 hrs a day with trainers and some of them do more on their own and dehydrate themselves for the weigh ins. It's not healthy and it isn't something any normal person would or should do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's not real life.

They do have customised calorie goals. I have seen 1200-1500 mentioned for different people.

They dehydrate in special suits before the weigh in to reduce water weight. They also sometimes wear more clothes during workout to sweat more. They then take them off for the cameras.

^^^this.

Reality TV doesn't really mean it's reality.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's reality TV, which is not real at all..
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    It's not real life.

^^^this.

yup.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Um.. they burn thousands more calories than they take in, their entire existence is centered around weight loss while they're on the show. They're not working or living a normal life, they restrict their calorie intake very strictly every single day.

I'm sure there's things they do that you never actually see on TV. I read somewhere that they intentionally dehydrate themselves before WI to see as large of a number as possible.

Like PP said, their "weeks" are not even weeks, sometimes they're over 10 days.

Don't compare yourself to their ridiculous standards, you simply cannot lose like they do and it's silly to even think you could.

Also, I thought Allison said last night they were home for 2 weeks? I didn't catch they were claiming they were home for only one.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I love the Biggest Loser in that it can inspire people to change their lives, show them change IS possible through hard work.

The unfortunate downside to the show is that it gives people unrealistic expectations in terms of how quickly they should expect to see change. Unless they have a personal nutritionist working with them at every meal, stocking their fridges/pantries, and can work out 6 hours a day, they can't expect these types of results in such a short period of time.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    It's not real life.

^^^this.

Qouting again for truth!
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    If you all had to worry about everyday was eating 'healthy' foods and working out...My guess is in one week you'd also be down as much as them.

I don't think all of the contestants subscribe to the same methods such as dehydrating themselves etc, but there are some that do, and some that have been very honest about it. There is one contestant in particular that I can think of that gained all the weight back and then some... And we're talking like 200lbs worth. They paid him to lose it again.

Just live your best life and make your best choices and I figure, don't worry about the people on biggest loser!
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I watched it last night. The guy in the restaurant whose eyes practically came out of his sockets when he saw the food his friends were eating, then picking on everything they ate and how many calories were in it. I wouldn't have invited him to eat dinner with me. I might be dieting but I don't pick on what other people eat! As far as being inspiring, I find the people on here MORE inspiring!
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Jillian said in one of her recent podcasts that she burns 7000 cals a day with her male contestants and 5000 cals a day with her female contestants. She also said she sets their calorie intake at 1200. That's a massive deficit, and most of her contestants DO keep the weight off. They all wear thermal-monitoring armbands that track every calorie burned. It's TV so there's lots of money for those kinds of things!

When the body is morbidly obese, it's healthier to take the weight off fast than to let the weight stay there and keep doing harm to the person.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    last nights episode was more than a week. One of the contestants made a comment about exercising on her own when she was at home for TWO weeks. 5 % bf in two weeks is very hard, but doable..... 5% at their weights in one week is next to impossible.
  • ImLaurie
    ImLaurie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is true that their week on TV isn't always an exact week. However, it is true more often than not. Also, they did the 5% loss over two weeks at home. Now if I didn't have a job or a family, I too could spend 4-6 hours a day in a gym with a modified caloric intake that forced my body to drop at that rate. There is nothing 'unhealthy' about it and many contestants do maintain their healthy lifestyle.

Ultimately, it's making sure you realize you are a food addict. Period. It's harder than being an alcoholic because you can't avoid food. To keep these lifestyles people have to rebuild their every day with healthy food and exercise always as their number one priority. It would also do them some good to attend OA meetings (oa.org) to help them with their food addiction.

Reality TV is never 100% real however, as it has been stated here. But you can still strive for a good number. Just not their numbers. Hope is there!!!
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    it's just completely ridiculous and so unhealthy!! Sorry but no one can convince me that it's healthy what they do on that show. Yes it's amazing to watch them transform, but seriously???? Long term??? No way!
  • hula808
    hula808 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Im aware its not healthy or realistic , this is just general conversation, no need to lecture on the health risks...just was wondering f anyone knew how they do it so consistently.

They were home for 2 weeks and even if it wasnt exactly 2 weeks maybe 2.5 weeks, the losses are consistently high. If you dehydrate yourself before every weigh in, it wouldn't really change the loss. If I dehydrate 5lbs of fluid from my body this week and do it again next week, then the following week etc..., the total weight loss would be relatively consistent.

Anyways this is just meant for light conversation based on curiosity, no hard core stats, lectures, preaching, etc... needed : )
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I like watching the show, but it is unrealistic because they workout 6+ hours per day. As that woman said, "Ain't nobody got time for that" haha
  • ashleeveronica
    Options
    I was just wondering the same thing!!!!!!! Especially some of the females... I get so "stuck" sometimes around 170-180... And they fact they just skip over them completely pisses me off!! Haha
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I would prefer a reality show where mom with 2 young kids needs to go to work, clean the house, walk the dog AND lose weight.. sort of a normal way of life for most people. I don't enjoy watching people sweat on exercise bikes 3 hours a day and not doing anything else, that is not real and it is also kjndof boring.

Why noone ever makes real weight loss reality? Even if it was scripted, it would be much more interesting than just training and salad eating imho.
  • GasnotGas
    GasnotGas Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think your probably going to need some pretty boy/girl gym type to patronise/bully/taunt you whilst you spin for all your worth on an exercise bike, perhaps some dramatic music can accompany this to help shift those pounds.

;)