New to here and doing Intermittent Fasting...

Options
Hi everyone.

I joined up on here last week and am following the Intermittent Fast. I decided to buy the book by Dr Michael Mosely and it arrived last Wednesday. I was unable to put it down, and started my first fast day last Thursday, and am on my second fast today. So far so good. I feel, after years of trying the various diets out there, that I have finally found something that I feel suits me. I was really keen on all the health benefits that are gained from doing this "diet", and the fact that there is scientific research to back it up.

I have gained a lot of weight since falling and slipping two discs last summer, and am still signed off work, but hope to be able to return by the end of April. Being a nanny, I am so used to being active and on the go all day, so from going from that to not being able to get around much has taken its toll on me a little, but now I am beginning to turn a corner and am getting out for more walks, so I expect to be fully back to normal by the summer, and at my ideal weight by Christmas. I feel like I am on a roll! :)

I'd love to meet some people on here who are also interested on the IF diet, as it would be great to swap tips, and just to have an IF pal to do this with.

Kiki

Replies

• 4men1lady79
    4men1lady79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just came off a 5 day juicing fast! Now I'm doing healthy/homemade soup only for 5 days! Feel free to add me...
  • CoachChrisD
    CoachChrisD Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i did the ultimate reset program from beach body and lost 15 lbs from it last year, now doing p90x with drinking Shakeology.
    let me know if you want some information and motivation
  • CoachChrisD
    CoachChrisD Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • ebarnes6
    ebarnes6 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi I've just started week four of IF. Doing 3 days weightwatchers, 2 fast, and wild weekends ;) so far so good 22lbs in 7 weeks
  • freindsofmine
    freindsofmine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Who can explain intermittent fasting I'm interested .
  • leslieg45
    Options
    It would be best to read the book about it, and also the "8-hour diet" - which is another way to do IT instead of alternating days.
    It's just mostly about regulating a time when your body is working on breaking down your food for energy, and when your body takes a rest from that, and uses your fat stores for energy instead - a very old idea. Fasting is an ancient practice that is represented in many different religions and spiritual paths as well - but you don't have to starve or anything.
    You still have to eat a healthy diet, though, on most days (you know - VEGGIES and lean protein, etc...) - there's no magic pill to compensate for eating junky and highly processed food.
    But I've adopted the 8-hour version now (after I lost my first chunk of weight by just limiting my caloric intake and upgrading my food) and I really like it. Not only am I continuing to lose weight, but it has helped my energy levels, digestion and sleep too. I'm really full during my 8 hours of eating, and I don't mind eating breakfast later.
  • jenblackwell2
    jenblackwell2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been following the "8-Hr" Diet for a while, I can't say the weight is melting off, but I will say my energy levels have improved greatly! As a stay home mom of a 2 & 4 yr old, the boost in energy has helped my get more done around the house and have play time with them. I usually "break my fast" at Noon and stop eating at 8pm. I will let my self go until 10pm on Fri. and Sat when we usually eat out or have family and friends over.
  • KikiTea
    KikiTea Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replys. I didn't see them until now as there were no notifications anyone had replied. (I'm new to MFP so still trying to find my way around).

I haven't heard of the 8hr diet. I'll look it up, but I have to say that I am getting on quite well with the 5:2. I had a "fast"day yesterday and managed well with it. I can go all day without eating, but the evenings are the problem for me. Once I break my fast and have some dinner, keeping within the 500 cals, I keep thinking of a cup of tea and a biscuit or some chocolate, but I guess that will pass.

It was great to read everyones replys, and thanks again. :)