First Father's Day Without Dad

Options
so this is my first Father's Day without my dad, and it feels kinda weird. he and i weren't close and before he died i saw him twice within a month, but prior to that it had been 10 years, and almost 5 without even talking...

going through his death from stomach cancer was odd, not entirely sad, but gave me real perspective on what happens when you don't live your life and abuse your body.. (he was a drug user and an alcoholic).

right after his death, i stuck right to my eating plan, lost almost 40 pounds and tried not to make my life worthless like his seemed to be...

anyhow, just some of my thoughts for the day. my mom is coming down to visit and spend the evening with me, and it makes me appreicate her even more.

Replies

• ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    so this is my first Father's Day without my dad, and it feels kinda weird. he and i weren't close and before he died i saw him twice within a month, but prior to that it had been 10 years, and almost 5 without even talking...

going through his death from stomach cancer was odd, not entirely sad, but gave me real perspective on what happens when you don't live your life and abuse your body.. (he was a drug user and an alcoholic).

right after his death, i stuck right to my eating plan, lost almost 40 pounds and tried not to make my life worthless like his seemed to be...

anyhow, just some of my thoughts for the day. my mom is coming down to visit and spend the evening with me, and it makes me appreicate her even more.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Aw honey, I am very sorry for your loss.
    I know how hard it is. I lost my dad 5 years ago and my heart still aches.

Have a wonderful time with your mom.

BIG HUGS!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • paul82682
    paul82682 Posts: 48
    Options
    sorry about your dad but i'm glad that you can learn from his mistakes. and i'm glad to hear that you've been sticking with your plan.
  • Doozie
    Doozie Posts: 53
    Options
    So sorry about your loss. I am sure he is proud of what you are making of your life. :flowerforyou:
    Enjoy your time with your mother.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    hugs and I'm sorry hon...I also lost my dad....awhile back but it still feel very new at times more than others....like bdays and father's day...Christmas....when I see his smile on my child's face....ugh...yes I know!:brokenheart: :heart:

My dad was a um..robust man...he loved life and food....and taught us too....unfortunately he cooked so delicious but soooo bad! Italian food can be healthy or lethal...he cooked lethal....congestive heart failure at 60....

It does teach you a lot....I dropped 30 lbs when he passed so did my mom and sister...my brothers never had too much of a weight issue...but death does teach you some lessons, as hard as it hits. Then as life goes on you tend to forget somewhat.....(like me..) but its good to keep focused on it! keeping him fresh in your head and mind and heart will keep him w/ you!:heart:

I think it doesn't matter that you weren't so close...he was your dad....of course you feel like that honey!!!
    if you ever want to pm me...would love to chat more about it if you like...

hugs! and much understanding!!!
    Ali :heart: