To Veg or not to veg

Options
Hey all,

I've been thinking of becoming vegetarian. Would that help me lose weight?

Replies

• HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    It obviously depends on what you're eating. I mean you could eat cookies and chips all day and technically be a vegetarian. It's scientifically proven that people who eat less red meat normally live a healthier life style. It won't necessarily make you lose weight but if you do it right it can only help you.
  • KimmyBee
    KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It wont necissarily let you lose weight, as healthykt said you can eat plenty of vegetarian things and they be bad for you. SImilarily you can eat plenty of meat products and they be very good for you!

If you enjoy meat, eat it. Dont cut out something you enjoy just to lose weight or you will end up craving it and go into binge mode.

I enjoy meat, but I live on a mostly vegetarian lifestyle, id say 80% of my meals are vegetarian. but its not because I feel it will help me lose weight, I just find them easier, cheaper and with much more flavour, variety and originality than meat dishes.

Its up to you and your lifestyle.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    -Meat has more fats than vegetables and carbs, and most meat fats are the bad kind.
    Vegetables have the healthy fats. Even olives and avocados, which are fairly high in fat, have the good fats and are chock full of vitamins and minerals.
    -Vegetables and grains have lots of fiber--very good for digestion. Meat has no fiber and takes longer to be digested.
    -The body must have protien, but you can get that from milk products, beans, and some other grains and vegetables--but in lower amounts than from meat.
    I think those are the primary differences.
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    I agree with other posters, if you decide to go veg, I'd love to hear how that works out for you... as far as what you decide your diet should be and how it makes you feel physically/mentally if there are any changes at all. Good luck to you and well wishes on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • MsJena
    MsJena Posts: 5
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about a year. I had been learning a lot about it then one day I just said okay I'm done. I thought it would be much harder than it has been. I don't really miss or crave meat. I totally agree with those who said it's easy to be an unhealthy vegetarian and only eat cheese and carbs, etc. However, for me, I chose to be veg because of nutrition and was already eating very healthy. I am a better cook now too because I hated dealing with raw meat before and wouldn't want to cook. Now I'm really creative in the kitchen and it pays off. There are a lot of neat non-meat options out there besides just tofu. Also, I think some people's body's are more suited to being vegetarian than others. When I first was veg (but eating a healthy diet too). I lost about 10 pounds. Then there was about 6 months where I didn't work out or count my calories, but remained vegetarian and eating pretty healthy. For the first time in my life, I maintained rather than gaining. Normally, if I wan't actively watching what I ate and working out I would gain. This was a real eye opener for me. Also, I noticed I make better choices because meat isn't an option. When I am at someones house, or a baseball game or hungry late at night, certain things aren't an option and so I don't eat them. Fast food chains have no options. I can't eat hot dogs at ball games or burgers at a bbq. Instead, I stick with the healthy veg friendly options. I just find I make better choices when I'm out. When you're dieting you find ways to "cheat" but being vegetarian you can't "cheat." At least I can't. It's no meat, no way for me. So just this week I finally decided to get back on the band wagon, start using MFP and counting my calories. I've lost 7 pounds in 6 days and am super motivated. Oh yeah, I've also noticed my skin and hair and much better since being vegetarian. Hope this helps!
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    "Modified" vegetarian here. Only meats I eat are chicken and turkey and at that, I'll only have a few servings a week. I quit eating red meat years ago... I don't like it. Nor do I care for seafood/fish at all. I eat a lot of "vegetarian" dishes just because I'm not a big meat eater. You can still gain weight though even without eating a lot of meat!!!

Tip: Portobello mushrooms are a great substitute for meat. They're very versatile and have a "meaty" texture and flavor. You can buy a big cap and grill it and slice it up and use it just like flank steak for fajita meat, or on top of a fresh salad!
  • positivelyg
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is very encouraging. Hahah yes, I agree with the whole concept on how you could be eating chips, cookies, and ice cream all day and still be considered a vegetarian. I generally make healthy choices, though admittedly I did go through a period recently of binge eating pastries and crap almost every day. Surprisingly I only gained three pounds, and have lost all or at least most of it.

I have been kind of an unintentional vegetarian because meat is expensive. I am proud to say that today I finished my last sesame chicken TV dinner and bought a package of tempeh. Oh and when I say "vegetarian," what I really mean is "pescatarian." I love fish and don't eat it much, and if there's one thing I find a rare treat it's sushi. =]

Thanks for all of your tips guys! Please feel free to post recipes too!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    -Meat has more fats than vegetables and carbs, and most meat fats are the bad kind.
    Vegetables have the healthy fats. Even olives and avocados, which are fairly high in fat, have the good fats and are chock full of vitamins and minerals.
    -Vegetables and grains have lots of fiber--very good for digestion. Meat has no fiber and takes longer to be digested.
    -The body must have protien, but you can get that from milk products, beans, and some other grains and vegetables--but in lower amounts than from meat.

There are plenty of studies that state that the natural occurring fats in meats are not unhealthy.............

Back to topic. Almost every person I know that has done a vegetarian lifestyle ends up blowing out their thyroid function. You should thoroughly research before embarking on this endeavor.
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options

There are plenty of studies that state that the natural occurring fats in meats are not unhealthy.............

Back to topic. Almost every person I know that has done a vegetarian lifestyle ends up blowing out their thyroid function. You should thoroughly research before embarking on this endeavor.

I know many vegetarians and vegans who do it right and feel much better than they did before they changed their lifestyle. I know you're all about an Atkins lifestyle and I respect that. You have the freedom to get healthy in whatever way you chose but there are pros and cons to every option. There are always going to be things to pay attention to and no matter what you do you have to be careful.