first 5K

Options
My first 5K is this Saturday-does anyone have any tips for me?? Thanks!

Replies

• BohoLovin
    BohoLovin Posts: 19
    Options
    Bump
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You have to have trust in your training. Don't kill it by running fast the last week!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Don't be affraid to walk when needed and have fun. Pick someone you have been close behind for the first half of it and try to beat them.:flowerforyou:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it! Don't do anything new on race day...eat what you normally eat, wear something you are used to wearing. Line up near the back unless you are trying for the podium, and soak it up!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Start out slowly, don't let your nervousness and adrenaline get the better of you. Trust in your training and enjoy the experience. Best of luck, you'll always remember your first :)
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Get a good nights sleep and have fun! :flowerforyou:
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If you are running the 5k, try not to change up anything drastically leading up to it. eat what you normally eat, where the same shoes you normally do. Make sure you stick to your pace if you have been training. It's easy to get excited and start off too fast and then burn out towards the end. And most importantly, be proud of yourself! The first one is a great accomplishment.
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Have fun!!! I love doing 5Ks. Rest well, stretch before the race. I eat (usually oatmeal and a piece of fruit) an hour to an hour and a half before race time so I don't have food sitting in my stomach but I'm not hungry. If you get water at the water stations, sip it, don't gulp it -- it'll fill you too fast and you can get a side cramp -- that goes for any running, even on the treadmill.
  • DavidKBrewer
    Options
    If you're not planning on being very fast, don't start up close to the starting line as a lot of people will be passing you. Also, if you start in the middle/back, you'll probably end up passing a lot of the people who start off too fast and can't keep their pace, which feels pretty good.

When you get to a water station, don't stop and drink. Grab the cup and keep moving to help prevent a crash.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Don't start off too fast! Settle into a comfortable pace at the beginning and then gradually build up speed.

Also, make sure to start hydrating at least two days before the race.

Eat well the day before, and don't eat too much right before the race. A banana or a granola bar is enough!

AND HAVE FUN! good luck, I'm sure you'll do amazing!! :)
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Remember that even if you come in dead last you did better then anyone else who was too scared or unfit to do it!! Also try to find someone to focus on, I picked out one girl in the crowd whom I was determined to come in before. (I didn't..Infact I finished dead last! But I still did it!)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Don't start off too fast. Come up with a plan, and stick to it. Push yourself in the last mile if you feel like you can. And just have fun!
  • rcolbert123
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race, good for you enjoy!!!!!!!!!!
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    1. Have fun
    2. Don't change your routine leading up to your 5k
    3. If timed the chip goes on the right foot
    4. Don't wear the free tee normally given at registration that screams total NOOB
  • DavidKBrewer
    Options
    4. Don't wear the free tee normally given at registration that screams total NOOB

Ha, my wife doesn't believe that one, but I tell her not to do it every time.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

NOOO! wearing the race T before the race is like begging for a DNF. Its my one superstition :)
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

I have to, my daughter is doing it with me, and she is looking so forward to us wearing matching shirts!! LOL
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

NOOO! wearing the race T before the race is like begging for a DNF. Its my one superstition :)

What is DNF?
  • algee8
    algee8 Posts: 2
    Options
    Good fortune to you on your first 5K.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Don't stress out...smile....earn the t shirt. Enjoy yourself. The time DOES NOT matter...what matters is that you're doing it....GOOD LUCK!