How to meet 1200 calories?

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new at this, so would really appreciate the advice of you seasoned professionals :)

The app says I should be aiming for 1200 calories a day. This morning, I burned approximately 360 calories at the gym.

For breakfast: homemade smoothie, with Greek nonfat yogurt, 1/2 banana, apple juice and frozen strawberries (203 cals)
For lunch: chicken, sliced carrot, lettuce, lite Italian dressing, 1/2 banana (404 cals)
Plans for dinner: quinoa, grilled salmon fillet, steamed broccoli, raw spinach (280 cals)

This puts me at 888 calories for the day, and having done my workout, the app is telling me I have 695 calories remaining.

The trouble is, I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I suppose I could add a hard-boiled egg, maybe another yogurt, but I'm just surprised that I've got what I thought seemed like a reasonable meal plan - the kind of stuff I'm used to seeing recommended, and yet it puts me unhealthily low for calorie intake.

I certainly don't want to go into starvation mode, but how do I reasonably and healthily add the necessary calories? Is there something important I'm missing from my meals? Should I be snacking more?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Add some healthy high calorie fats as snacks. An avocado, nuts, some peanut butter, etc. Add more things to your lunch salad, like a dried fruit or crouton or cheese.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole banana, put butter on your broccoli, add something to your quinoa, have a mid morning and mid afternoon snack of some almonds or cheese, add an egg at breakfast, forget non fat yogurt and go for the full fat version, use regular salad dressing instead of lite, lots of ways to add calories.
  • southernmom3
    southernmom3 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, if we start our day with 1200 and then exercise we have more calories added to our daily intake, how will we lose weight if we keep adding more calories??
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, if we start our day with 1200 and then exercise we have more calories added to our daily intake, how will we lose weight if we keep adding more calories??

That 1200 calories already includes a deficit, so if you didn't work out and ate that number, you would lose weight. Adding back your exercise calories keeps you from having too large of a deficit. Your body needs calories to function properly.

As for increasing the number of calories, I agree with the suggestion about healthy fats. You don't have to use light and nonfat products. Instead of light salad dressing, I like to make my own with olive oil and vinegar. Add a little cheese or some almonds to your salad. Put some oil (or even butter) on your veggies, if you like.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Don't forget oils that you may use for cooking. They count too.

Are you measuring and weighing everything? Yes, you need some snacks. What about dessert?
  • KirstyGC1
    Options
    Thanks for your help, everyone. I really appreciate it!
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Instead of this..

For breakfast: homemade smoothie, with Greek nonfat yogurt, 1/2 banana, apple juice and frozen strawberries (203 cals)
    For lunch: chicken, sliced carrot, lettuce, lite Italian dressing, 1/2 banana (404 cals)
    Plans for dinner: quinoa, grilled salmon fillet, steamed broccoli, raw spinach (280 cals)

Total : 890

Do this...

For breakfast: homemade smoothie, with fullfat Greek yogurt, whole banana, apple juice and frozen strawberries (approx 400 calories)
    For lunch: chicken, sliced carrot, lettuce, regular Italian dressing, whole banana (500 cals)
    Snack: Cottage cheese with pineapple (200 cals)
    Snack: 20 Almonds (140 cals)

Total : 1520

Easy
  • krumpli
    krumpli Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Snacks. A bit of healthy fat. The occasional cookie. Sure, you can eat SUPER healthy and SUPER clean for awhile, but can you live like that forever? Would you want to? I NET 1400ish a day, but I eat 1800-2000 a day. I've NET 1400 (actually eating 1800-200) a day for over a year now, and I've lost almost 70 pounds.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you can add in eggs, oatmeal, chicken, steak etc...brown rice or sweet potato never hurt either...
  • KirstyGC1
    Options
    This is all super helpful and the kind of direction I was looking for.

And krumpli, you're right, it seems much more sensible to figure out a sustainable and enjoyable plan if I'm going to keep this up.

Thanks!
  • faireplay
    faireplay Posts: 126
    Options
    First thing you do is ditch that lite stuff. Eat regular fat everything. You will meet those 1200 cals no problem and be wishing you had more. As you get close to goal and it becomes harder to lose then you can decide if you want to incorporate fat free/sugar free stuff into your menu. But even then if you are exercising you probably won't need to.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    quinoa, grilled salmon fillet, steamed broccoli, raw spinach (280 cals)

There is no way your #'s are correct..... just the salmon alone would be that

Salmon- 240 calories for 4 oz ( size of a deck of cards)
    Quinoa- 172 calories for 1/4c dry ( about 1/2c cooked)
    Broccoli and Spinach @ 1/2c each...about 80 calories....
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Please read this. It has all the information you will need and education will be the linchpin of your success here.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I had a medium shamrock shake last night and it had 660 calories. It seems like that would get you most of the way to your goal.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    > 1 year of consecutive logging
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. The answer is always peanut butter.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

It depends on her portions...
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Because after exercising your body isn't getting 1200 calories. The 1200 calories should be net.....that means you should have 1200 calories at the end of the day after subtracting your exercise calories.
  • emagz76
    emagz76 Posts: 1
    Options
    along with the snacks mentioned above you might want to get protein powder, or some post workout supplement.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options

It depends on her portions...

I just explained the portions.... and the portions I quoted are what a normal meal should look like. If you are feeding anyone over the age of 5yrs old lol
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Eat larger portions. Your dinner caloric calculation sounds low. Eat a 6 oz portion of salmon and 3/4 cup of quinoa, dress it with olive oil and lemon, and you will easily be able to log 700 calories at least.