Anyone else always getting injured?

Options
I love to exercise - running, walking, weight training, classes at the gym, I love them all. So why the hell am I obese and on a weight loss site? Because I am constantly getting injured!

In 2010, I lost about 25 pounds through a combination of diet, 30 Day Shred and learning to run. Unfortunately, I managed to fall and tear ligaments in my ankle - good bye weight loss.

I spent most of 2011 and 2012 trying to train for a half marathon - but had to completely stop running at different points due to achilles tendonitis in both legs, a herniated disc in my back, and runners knee. (Although I did walk that darn half marathon!)

At my doctor's urging, I've put running on the shelf until I get down to a certain weight. So, for the past several months, I've been doing classes at the gym - mainly body pump/weights classes or spin. The second week, I hurt my lower back - had to take a week off. Now I've managed to do something to a knee - can't even walk up or down stairs without sharp pain.

Does anyone else have this problem - or am I just (a) extremely unlucky and/or (b) a complete klutz?

Replies

• Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    I used to when I was a newbie, but then I learnt how to train safely with proper form. There are also foods/ supplements like glucosamine and healthy fats that help with joint support and exercises you do to strengthen joints and prevent injury.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    First off, you can use your diet for weight loss....I started out losing weight with just diet and didn't add exercise until I had already dropped some weight. I added exercise because I used to be an athlete and after dropping some weight, decided it was time to add some fitness goals to my program. These were completely independent of my weight loss goals, but I was also thankful that I could eat a bit more.

So...everything you've described sounds like classic over train and seems to be pretty common around here. Most people are here to lose weight and they think that part of that is working out multiple times per day and training like they're some kind of fully fit athlete. Most of us are not.

I see way too many people over train on MFP...and while they may enjoy what they're doing, it doesn't mean they're not over training. I love lifting the way I lift, but if I did it more than 3x weekly at my current level, I would be doing more harm than good and would be over training my body.

Bottom line, start out slow...build up to things. Do exercise for more than just the calorie burn...that's what your diet is for. Have fitness goals that are independent of your weight loss goals and this will teach you how to properly train to reach those fitness goals without over doing it or under doing it.
  • Mochila09
    Mochila09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, you might want to look into working with a personal trainer. It doesn't have to be long-term, just enough to teach you proper form and how to prevent injury. I too loved running, but running didn't love me. I have severe over pronation which impacts my feet, ankles, knees, hips, etc. After repeated injuries, chronic knee pain (hated that loud crackling sound whenever I did squats/lunges), and repeated arthritis (neck) flare-ups, I decided to try kickboxing. I love it!!!! It's been a month - I have no knee pain whatsoever, and no more crunchy knees. I had been taking a glucosamine & MSM supplement to help with joint health. I ran out a couple of weeks ago, and still, no pain. As frustrating as it must feel, good for you for listening to your body and your doctor's recommendation. If running is what you love, hopefully you can get back to it. If not, hopefully you can find something else that works for you.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Some suggestions
    Strength train - You have to build a strong body before adding a lot of stress like running. Identify your weaknesses and work on them!!

Stretch and foam roll religiously - flexibility is quite important to avoiding injury, pinpointing your problem areas and massaging daily with trigger point techniques can help a lot

Build a base -especially when running don't go hard for along time. You need to slowly build up a large volume of slow running before adding any fast running. This is a primary cause of injury.

Pay attention to your form -- no mater what the excercise if you are not using proper biomecanics you are going to hurt yourself. this is just compounded when you are overweight.

Focus on diet - getting your diet right so that you shed pounds with or without exercise is critical.

consider minimlust shoes - you have to be very careful in moving to these, but for some they can really help reduce injury
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well. In the last year I have a.) slipped while getting in to the shower and banged up my knee (two weeks off) b.) taken a tumble when the horse I was riding tripped (two weeks off) c.) pulled a muscle in my back sitting up too quickly from a pole move (one month off) and d.) stubbed my big toe so severely that it's currently a little black and blue and has been for five weeks now (two weeks off). I just keep pushing forward, but I swear my body wants back the weight I've lost!