• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    What is DNF?

Did Not Finish
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Like several others have said...don't start off too fast. It's so easy to get caught up in the race day excitement bolt off the starting line. Just hang back and pass those who started off too fast.

Enjoy it...and may you run (and/or walk) like you have wings on your feet!! Report back and let us know how it goes!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I too have my first 5k coming up on the 16th so thanks for asking this question, I got some good tips (like start near the back!)

Good luck and have fun. I know I am going to feel very proud of mysefl, as someone who never did any running at all until this past summer.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I will definitely report back!! I am not expecting to run it all, my 10 year old is doing it with me, and although she THINKS she can run it, I think we will run/walk. I am just so excited to be doing it, I want to enjoy the whole experience~ thanks for the tips! :flowerforyou:
  • tyme4mein2013
    tyme4mein2013 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it! Don't do anything new on race day...eat what you normally eat, wear something you are used to wearing. Line up near the back unless you are trying for the podium, and soak it up!

I have found that if you pick someone who is just ahead of you and pass them then continue to do the same the 5K is over before you know it and you ALWAYS improve your finish time! Best of luck and have FUN!!!!!!
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on doing your first 5k!! Just committing to it, showing up, and finishing is a huge accomplishment in and of itself! I agree with the others, don't do anything differently than normal and make sure you are well-rested and hydrated! Depending on your experience level, one thing I did in my last 5k was to pick out somebody in the crowd ahead of me who had a good pace and just focused on keeping them in my sights. I would stay as close to them as I could and tried not to let them get too far ahead. I'm running my third 5k this Saturday and I'm going to make a race playlist that's as long as I typically run a 5k in and put some really upbeat and motivating songs on for that last mile! And, again, remember that no matter your time or where you finish, finishing is what matters. You're lapping everyone who is still on the couch :)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    My first 5K is this Saturday-does anyone have any tips for me?? Thanks!

start slow, pace yourself. if you start out too fast you'll burn out before the race ends. have fun, cheer others on, cheer yourself on - trust me you will not look foolish. do not go for a run the day before the race. rest don't eat anything weird or try new foods the night before and the morning of the race. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT wear the tshirt you'll get for running. that's for when you FINISH. it's part of your prize! the last .10 push yourself like you've never pushed yourself before.

two more tips: drink lots of water the day before make sure you're good and hydrated. pee before the race starts like a minute or two before. :)