Vitamins and Supplements

Options
Hey everyone. I was just wondering if any of you had vitamin and supplement suggestions for active young females?? I take a performance multi-vitamin everyday but I'm wondering if that's enough for me??

Thanks!!:happy:

Replies

• hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've stopped taking vitamins and supplements completely. I try to get my nutrition I need through fruits and veg. Is there a particular nutrient you feel you are lacking?
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in wine at the end of the day. Maybe sometimes during the day................................

But in all seriousness I would like to see where this thread goes. I would also like to know.

So here's a little bumpity
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I've stopped taking vitamins and supplements completely. I try to get my nutrition I need through fruits and veg. Is there a particular nutrient you feel you are lacking?

This. I only take a vitamin if at the end of the day I am short on something.

We take far too many vitamins these days that are not needed. You should be getting your vitamins and minerals from your food. A small amount of veggies contain almost all/all your daily requirement of vitamins... too much vitamins isn't always a good thing. If you have a relatively good diet you don't need a multi.

The only vitamin I take daily is my B12 as I am short on that.
  • scress0514
    scress0514 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I take supplements to counter act the meds that im on, If you really want to know what your body is lacking go see the DR. and have blood work done and they can tell you if you actually need supplements and which ones.
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback everyone! I'm actually really surprised with the responses. Since places like GNC sell those daily vitamin packs, I always assumed they were needed.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Both my doctor and nutristionist have told me that it is almost impossible to hit all your daily vitamin and mineral needs withoit supplimenting. Soil nor whole foods are what they used to be.
    I really don't think you can go too wrong taking a vitamin.
  • JacquiC72
    JacquiC72 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I usually check what's missing and then take a vitamin for that, usually iron or calcium. I find it easier to see what I need on the phone app as everything is there in one place instead of going into each category individually.
  • coleeli
    coleeli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I take a vitamin with iron in it. It has the smorgasbord of other vitamins/nutritional items in it, but the main focus is on the iron. I'm anemic and I rarely eat enough food with iron in it, so it was necessary to supplement that. Most of the other things I manage to get in with food. Some vitamins make me really nauseous though, so I stick with what I know I need.
  • ChantelZf
    ChantelZf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Im 21, I take a multivitamin - Life - Spectrum Forte 24, I get a little of everything with this and need the iron in. It's the only one that don't get me too high in iron with my food or hurt my stomach. Each capsule contains 4,000 IU of vitamin A and 50 IU of vitamin E. It also contains calcium, phosphorous, iron, potassium The only major drawback is one capsule’s vitamin C content is only 90 grams, and I know that the body needs an average of 1,000 mg in order to boost natural immunity against diseases.

So I also take a Vita C and a Omega 3. I recently started taking Coconut oil extra virgin organic which seems to make a difference and a Cal-Mag. I recently started to the Cal-Mag and coconut I feel like I have better energy and less sleep
  • PamL66
    PamL66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly awful about remembering to take pills of any kind. I take a bunch of things when I remember, including green tea, raspberry ketone, fish oil, D3 and a women's multivitamin among others. Young I'm not, but if you're in good health, you shouldn't need much more than a good vitamin and maybe a calcium supplement (I take those, too) unless you get enough from your diet. I have cholesterol issues, so I take a bunch of supplements for that. :smile:
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Both my doctor and nutristionist have told me that it is almost impossible to hit all your daily vitamin and mineral needs withoit supplimenting. Soil nor whole foods are what they used to be.
    I really don't think you can go too wrong taking a vitamin.

I agree with this ^^

Also, some fatty acids (essential oils) are required from food or supplement since we do not make them - so I take a fish oil suppplement every day (KRILL, not regular fish oil - no aftertaste!) and a multi-vitamin without iron (I eat a lot of foods containing iron).
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I usually forget to take my vitamins.

Fifteen or so years ago, when I was a young mom, my GYN suggested I take a multivitamin without iron (though I can't recall why no iron) and calcium. I'm not sure if that same recommendation would stand today or not.

Now, when I think about it, I take:
    Multivitamin (for seniors)
    Calcium with D
    Fish Oil
    Melatonin (1mg, to help me sleep)

I'm considering the addition of Biotin (for strong nails) and Glucosamine Chondroitin (for my old osteoarthritic joints), but I need to do a little research to see if either of these will interfere with anything else I'm taking (ie: prescription meds).
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Take a pre workout...
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Only when I feel tired or drained I will take a vitamin. I get most vitamins from my foods every day and taking too much of a vitamin or a mineral can be just as bad as not getting enough. The only supplement I take is Protein powders just because I eat a high protein diet and it helps out a lot.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Fish oil and Vitamin D3 are the big ones IMO. You can skip the D if you spend time in the sun every day.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Go to your Doctor and have a blood test to check if you are low on something in particular. Best way to find out if you need to be taking anything. I only take iron because I found out I was low and a vitimin C which helps with the absorption. If you eat healthy you shouldn't really need a multi.
  • mrkpittman
    Options
    I usually take Progressive vege greens powder as well as the Phytoberry mix. I'm usually a little short on my water intake so this helps a bit as well.:smile:
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Nature's Way Alive! They don't taste funky. A lot of vitamins make me gag because they taste so bad.
  • loveasunnyday
    loveasunnyday Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    me too!
  • loveasunnyday
    loveasunnyday Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in wine at the end of the day. Maybe sometimes during the day................................

But in all seriousness I would like to see where this thread goes. I would also like to know.

So here's a little bumpity
    me too!