Mini Exercise Cycles under your desk??

Options
Has anyone tried these little peddle cycle machines that can fit under your desk? Do they work (you feel like you are getting cardio in) and any recommendations on which ones to buy?

I sit all day at an office job and would love to add a little cardio while sitting here or strengthen my legs.

http://tinyurl.com/a7gmko4

Replies

• bioniccheese
    Options
    I own one of these as I didn't have the space to store a bike or an exercise bike and this could be put away easier. They're neat little things really, I'm sure it'd be worthwhile giving it a go if you can find one reasonably priced.
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    That is a fabulous idea!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ya, spend money on decent one using good resistance method. Otherwise the metal bolt pushing into the metal spindle will quickly be way to loud for anyone.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Ya, spend money on decent one using good resistance method. Otherwise the metal bolt pushing into the metal spindle will quickly be way to loud for anyone.

Oooohhh I think I remember someone at work with a loud one, that's a good idea, thank you! I wouldn't have thought of that, gonna see what I can find
  • Jillyfish99
    Jillyfish99 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    tried one, but my knees hit the desk.... But i'm tall. I don't know if that makes a difference.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about this as well. My mom used to have one years ago but I think it got lost in her basement somewhere and thrown out awhile ago.
  • AmberMahfouz
    Options
    o_O I am interested now! --- I think I might be purchasing one of these soon!
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Looking at them online now!! Thanks for the idea~!
  • kay_der
    kay_der Posts: 24
    Options
    I got a Magnetrainer off Amazon and I have been using it 4 days a week. I try to go 20 miles per day on 70% resistance. I did have to move my worktop up about 6 inches so I did not hit my knees, but I have had no problems with carpal tunnel, etc., so far. It is super quiet and does not disturb by co-workers at all (we are all in cubicles). I don't go too fast (maybe 10mph) because I still have to get my work done.

I absolutely love it and have lost 9 lbs in 5 weeks (watching my calories too).

I am really glad I went with the Magnetrainer and not a cheaper unit - the reviews were much better and I can see how a cheap one would not give a great workout. I would also invest in a small desk fan.

ETA: regarding the intensity of the workout, for me it is more than a fast walk, less than a slow jog. I can definitely feel burn in my legs and I have noticed increased strength. Like I said, I could go faster, but I am getting paid to work, not go to spinning class.
  • pattycakes1978
    pattycakes1978 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am debating on getting one of these. Glad I could find this thread about it.
  • ShortStuff35
    ShortStuff35 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Awesome idea!! I'm going to be looking into one for under my desk. :smile:
  • Luna7449
    Luna7449 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a desk cycle, Amazon had the best reviews, its quiet and low profile, desk has to be a minimum of 27 inches high, As like many of us I sit all day for a min of 8 hours, and need to move a bit more. I have had it about a month, and over the last week I have really stepped it up and biking a min of an hour and a half a day, I keep my pace at 15 to 18 miles per hour and dont sweat too much, I am feeling great and feel like I am loosing inches. Weigh in is on Friday so we will see.
  • lx3tx
    lx3tx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would initially say don't get it because I have one and hate it. But after reading the comments, maybe I just need to get a better one. Mine is very noisy plus most of the day I'm typing so that's difficult to do at the same time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    kegels are the only exercise I'm doing at the desk.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely love to, but my knees already hit the bottom of my desk so I don't think I'd be able to peddle under it. :neutral_face:
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome idea! I've thought about this in the past but it kind of dropped off my radar. I love the idea of getting some movement into my sedentary desk job. Anyone ever tried the Marcy Cardio Mini Bike? That's the one I've been looking at.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Oh shoot! Feel for an old thread again! :|
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Gave into peer pressure ;) - I just decided to order one of these
  • chele402
    chele402 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    kegels are the only exercise I'm doing at the desk.

Hahaha!! Awesome.

This is a good idea though. I get so annoyed sitting at my desk, but it's hard to do other things when I have to be on the phone for so much of the day.