walking the weight off??

Options

Replies

• eidc
    eidc Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I walk most everyday and have lost 14lbs so far. I just downloaded an app to my phone called "Mapmyfitness" that tells you how far and how fast you've walked or ran etc. It's free!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of walking too. For me it's not just great exercise but a way to really clear my mind.

And you can definitely challenge yourself as you go. Use whatever you're doing now as a starting point and every couple weeks, challenge yourself to go farther or faster. With some time and practice, you'll be amazed at the progess you can make. I'm not sure what pace I was walking at when I started but maybe 3mph at best. And I was only able to go about a half mile. Now my natural pace is about 4mph and I can walk for up to 8 miles easily on a nice summer day.

Something else you can do to challenge yourself is hills. I know not every area has them but try to find one that you can add into your route. There's a huge hill in my town and when I first started walking, it was torture, especially on my bad knee. I had to stop and catch my breath quite a few times. The first time I made it all the way up without stopping, I almost cried! And now, I can almost run up it!
  • mclind
    mclind Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love walking and try for at least 30min a day BUT today there is a major blizzard and if you know what that is, I will pass on my regular walk either outside or on the walking track nearby. Winter sucks!!!! Especially on the Prairies.
  • Shellbug75
    Shellbug75 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Watching your calorie intake is definitely the key, exercise is just a bonus. I have never been one to work out in the past, but once you start, you will want to exercise as much as you can. I am addicted now. I just got a treadmill about a week ago and it tells me how many calories I burn while walking. It doesn't matter how fast you go. It is about distance. I try to walk a mile a day. It has proven to be a success. Remember, just about everything you do burns calories. If you don't like to exercise, do you have a Nintendo Wii? There are benefits there too.
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit is what will cause you to lose weight.

That being said, any exercise is good for you. If you enjoy walking, go out for walks. Whatever gets you moving. Walking, jogging, running, bike riding, swimming, dancing, weight lifting, circuit training, etc.

This. The calorie deficit causes you to lose, not the exercise. Exercise is an added bonus and of course good for you though. Do whatever you can stick with.

Yes, a deficit in calories consumed vs calories needed to sustain current weight is what causes you to lose weight. Walking can help create the calorie deficit in addition to cutting calories. And, although creating a calorie deficit is what gets you to lose weight, walking will help created toned legs. Just seeking a calorie deficit to lose weight is not my goal. Losing weight while creating a toned and healthy body is my goal. As my daughter says "you can be skinny but not healthy." I want both and walking helps me achieve that. Next I need to add some upper body weights or other strength work for the upper half. As several people have already said, do what works for you. If it's walking, yay! If it's swimming, yay! If it's running or racketball or volleyball, etc. Yay, Yay, Yay! Congratulations to all of you that are getting out there and moving.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of walking as well. I enjoy it and as I am trying to make a change for life I think it is reasonable to assume you'll still be able to walk when you are older whereas you are unlikely to be able to maintain some of the more high intensity exercises. I try to do at least one long hike a week e.g on Sunday I did a 10.5 mile walk or a shorter one but over tougher terrain as well as trying to do a couple of miles most days.

Obviously you have to be eating less as well but I've started following the fat 2 fit calculator and it will be slow weight loss but that 's the best kind anyway.
  • minkychan
    minkychan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My husband lost 20 lbs just walking the dog daily for a few months. Starting off on slow 20 to 30 minute walks then gradually moving up to longer and harder walks. After awhile you start building up speed and some endurance too. It needs to be more than one long walk a week to really start seeing some results though.

Walking is a great way to start off with losing weight but don't forget it's all about your food intake too! Good luck! :-)
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds with swimming and walking. I was over 400 pounds so I wanted exercises that are low impact. I then added weight training. I live near the mountains so there are some good hills nearby.
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise - you already have the equipment needed - two feet.

I have found some great arm exercises to do while walking, with a stretchy band on a fitness website.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Walking is my favorite form of exercise. I much prefer walking outside over a treadmill though.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    walking is fine. focus on how far you are going (distance). If you walk 3 miles, you'll burn roughly 300 calories give or take depending on certain factors. A good 3.5 to 4mph speed is certainly a great speed for walking.

eating and staying at or just under your daily calories is what you also need to worry about and you dont have to eat your calories earned from exercise. you can save those for a rainy day or dont use them at all!
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Walking has been a majority of my fitness while on the weekends my fiance and I love going on hikes! I've been losing weight with a combination of a proper diet.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Chicago for a summer we had no car and I walked everywhere - and my legs looked FABULOUS. So...now I hike and walk to tone and it's working :)
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    Walking is great for you. It clears your mind and keeps you moving.

It will definitely help if you are eating at a calorie deficit. Just make sure you eat your exercise calories back. I love to go on hikes and they can burn major calories!
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Loving this topic and everyone's great stories. I don't know if it's just the posts I choose to read on here or what, but sometimes I start to feel like if I'm not squatting 300 lbs while jump roping uphill barefoot in compression pants, I'm not working hard enough. :)
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I cut calories and walked 4 miles/6 days a week and lost 30 pounds in 5 months. I now walk 2.5 miles/4 to 5 days a week and have had no trouble maintaining my weight for the past 4 months. Exercise along with cutting calories is what worked the best for me and I really like the workout that I get by walking/running.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Yep walking is great, When I began at 560 lbs. I had to use water displacement to be able to stand and then I walked and over the course of the first 17 months of my journey I walked in the pool from one side to the other (therapy pool) and lost 170 lbs. so yes walking is great!!!. Best of Luck

311 lb loss?!!! WOW!!!!
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    In order to properly benefit from exercise you need to do something you enjoy! For an extra challenge or to shake things up you can always change the pace, distance, time, route, add hand weights, etc. etc. It's a great workout!
  • slimster1970
    slimster1970 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You can deffo walk the weight off. It's by far my favourite type of exercise, getting out on the road and keeping going or off to the hills.I'm beginning to enjoy running but being able to see what's going on around you walking is far nicer, unless it's just me that has to concentrate on not falling over my own feet running!!!
  • vccervantes
    Options
    I just started MFP last week. I walk on my 15 minute breaks and at lunch so approx. 45 mins a day . I've lost 4 pounds in 1 week. Hopefully, it continues to work.