Does the type of exercise matter - or does it all come down

Options
kateyb
kateyb Posts: 138 Member
I know that you need to change things up every couple of weeks otherwise your body gets used to the routine. My question though is does it matter what types of exercise you do or does it ultimately come down to calories burnt anyway?

My exercise of choice is swimming. I enjoy it, about as much as you can enjoy something that involves hard work anyway! It fits in to my lifestyle quite easily and it burns a lot of calories in a relatively short space of time. In addition I am often told that it's great for toning because it works so many of your muscle groups at once.

In the past few weeks I've been really bad, both with the eating and the exercise, so last week decided to kick things into high gear and set myself a two week challenge. The challenge is to swim at least half a mile a day every day for 2 weeks. I'm on day 4 today and so far have swum 4 miles in 4 days. I usually stick to breaststroke but have been adding a few laps of legs only backtroke as well just to change it up - oh my god are those few laps killer though, my muscles are screaming!!!

Already I'm starting to wonder what I should do after these two weeks though - I'm not a fan of the gym, I hate queuing for everything and feeling hot and sweaty, and feeling like everyone is watching me. Not mention my tendency to compare myself to everyone in there. I just feel like a blob the whole time I'm there - it does not help my self esteem. Plus I hate the fact that I can spend an hour in the gym and only burn about 400 calories whereas an hour in the pool and I burn 900 odd.

That said I understand as well that I can't just keep swimming all the time.

I do quite a bit of walking, but again thats quite low impact and something that I do regularly already. If it's not benefitted me or aided the weight loss so far the chances are that it won't in the future either.

Oh and because I'm working two jobs then classes at the gym are out. I just can't make the times that they're scheduled for. I'd love to do something like tennis or badminton once a week but it's not something I could do more frequently than that.

So it really comes down to the gym and the pool. My question is would I be better changing up the distances/lengths of time I swim, maybe push myself harder to swim faster but for a shorter time or try mastering the dreaded front crawl so that I can change things up muscle usage wise, or should I try to split my time between the gym and the pool even though I don't burn anywhere as many calories in the gym and don't have the free time needed to stay there long enough to match the burn I could achieve in half the time in the pool???

What do you think. I'm looking at toning as well as weight loss, although the weightloss is my motivator.

Any input from those better educated than myself???

Replies

• AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone. I know a lot of people who SWEAR by elipticals, but they don't really do it for me. But when I run the weight comes off really, really fast (unfortunately I'm a bit too heavy to do much running at the moment so I'm running/walking). I also have really, really good luck with yoga - less for weight loss and more for putting things where they're meant to be and therefore looking and feeling leaner and longer.
  • judithsimons
    Options
    If you like swimming, then stick with it. You might want to consider some strength training because the stronger your muscles are the faster and longer you can swim. Keep up the good work. :happy:
  • jozefsan
    jozefsan Posts: 5
    Options
    just for correction, change routine doesnt mean you need change excercise, it mean you do think slightly different.

example : you do running, so few weeks you run 10 miles normal terrain, then few weeks you run 5 miles up hil.

so you can have same excercise with small chenges and your body get still something new even with same excercise
  • mrecker
    mrecker Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I really believe that it all comes down to calories in vs. calories out. If you burn more than you consume you will lose weight.

If you like swimming then you should swim; however, you should probably mix up your training. I don't think you want all your days to be the same. Do short sprints some days, do some pyramid days, do some long and slow days.

Here are two article on Men's Health about swimming:

- http://www.menshealth.com/men/fitness/triathlon/swimming-technique/article/f48ca1af3deec010vgnvcm10000013281eac
    - http://www.menshealth.com/men/fitness/triathlon/swimming-technique/article/f54349bc856f4010VgnVCM100000cfe793cd
  • Rea_K
    Rea_K Posts: 51
    Options
    I have lost ALL of my weight so far by running (obviously combined with healthy eating) as it was the only thing I was good at and improved quickly at, so I wanted to stay motivated. I started by running for as long as I could-at first about 30 seconds at a very slow pace!!! Now I run 12 miles straight easily. I ran at least 4 times a week. Since losing most of the weight I have started spin class once a week as I eventually felt confident enough with my level of fitness to try it, and strength training 2 times a week so I can get some definition. I chose to lose the weight first then work on toning, but it depends on the person. If you are good at something and are succeeding, I don't see why you need to change the type of exercise you do.
  • kateyb
    Options
    Thanks for all the input guys x
  • lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Options
    What about freestyle and fly? Fly kills me :) I think that if you changed up your strokes, distance and speed then mixed in some free weights at home you would be fine.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Posts like this frustrate me because they show the damage caused by informercial crap and gullible trainers.

It is important to vary the training stimulus in order to make continued fitness progress, but the idea that you need to "change things up every couple of weeks otherwise your body gets used to the routine" is just wrong, at least when it comes to burning calories.

If you like to swim, then you should swim. You can vary the duration, the intensity, come up will all kinds of interval workouts, etc, but there is no need to arbitrarily change activities in order to induce "muscle confusion".

It is not a bad idea to develop some alternate exercise routines to reduce the risk of an overtraining injury, and strength training is an important component to a program, but it is also a process and if you are not ready for those things, then it is best for now that you stick with what you enjoy and what motivates you to continue.
  • kateyb
    Options
    Hey, thanks again for the input.

Lilay I have no idea what Fly is, lol, and the mental image of translating the movements of a fly to a swimming stroke is making me laugh quite loudly. Then again the name butterfly is quite misleading in my eyes so I'm sure it's not to be taken too literally.

Azdak, and everyone else that has mentioned strength training - sorry to be a dumb blonde but by strength training do you mean the weight machines in the gym??? If not ignore the rest of what I'm about to say and please enlighten me, lol.

I can do the weight machines quite happily and easily, or at least I have in the past when the gym is quiet and I don't have to queue for the machines. I just usually figure when I'm short on time that I burn more in the pool so it's not worthwhile unless I can guarantee quick access to everything. If I'm wrong then I could always have a couple of days a week (crack of dawn before work) where I do half an hour of weights and half an hour of swimming rather than a straight hour in the pool.

That's precisely why I'm asking this question - because I'm trying to work out which is likely to be the most beneficial in the long term. I don't understand how the weight training aids the weight loss (I get that muscle burns more fat so weight training helps you build muscle which will then translate to each workout you do translate to more burnt, but then I've also seen people say that it's not a significant difference unless you take it to extremes) so find it difficult to weigh up the pro's and cons/difference of 30 mins weight training 3 times a week - where I burn about 350 cals a time, versus that same amount of time in the pool burning 450 cals.
  • lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Options

Lilay I have no idea what Fly is, lol, and the mental image of translating the movements of a fly to a swimming stroke is making me laugh quite loudly. Then again the name butterfly is quite misleading in my eyes so I'm sure it's not to be taken too literally.

In fly you move your legs like a dolphin and you lift your head and chest out of the water and moving your arms kind of like big circles at the same time. Here are some links that you may find helpful. Personally I find this to be the hardest stroke for me.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5301_swim-butterfly-stroke.html
    http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_8544_do-butterfly-stroke.html