lack of motivation

Options
I was once 250pds and now I am 215pd. I lost the weight by making small changes and reducing portion size. I am looking to lose about 50 more but feel stuck at 215pd, I am 5 "4 and size 18. I just got a stationary bike but so far just look at it. Where does one find motivation? If I could buy it I would, but can't seem to find momentum to achieve more weight loss. Does anyone here find motivation from any particular source?

Replies

90066 Posts: 24
    Options
    If it were an act of heroism, an instant of inspiration, it'd be different. But it is not. It is consistently doing this one boring thing well: Record your food, record your exercise, make sure the calories out is 500 more than the calories in, every day, no exceptions.

And a hundred days later things will be very different.

Do this boring thing well, and find excitement and motivation in other areas of life.

That's what I think. If I got emotionally involved I'd screw it up.
  • FocusPlease
    FocusPlease Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Read my blog post--it explains what keeps me going, even though I haven't seen any actual change in my weight yet. However I do already physically feel better, which is GREAT!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/FocusPlease

Good Luck and feel free to "friend" me, if you like.
  • ana70
    ana70 Posts: 93
    Options
    Yes, thank you. I was searching for an epiphany that is not there. It is boring I know. So far I have just maintained. I think I am going to get blood work done and find out my health status. That will motivate me for sure.
  • irishpagan
    irishpagan Posts: 30
    Options
    I look at inspirational pictures and watch diva movies. My favorites are Audrey Hepburn and lately Marilyn Monroe in the 7 Year Itch. They're just so gorgeous and fabulous I want to be just like them! And I find that the first step is always the hardest- if I manage to put on my workout clothes the only sensible thing to do is exercise. And after that first time I feel so strong and good about it that it puts me back on track.
  • ana70
    Options
    That is a great blog. Change the inside and the outside follows! I get it!:smokin: :smooched:
  • sylvester41569
    sylvester41569 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    maybe offer yourself a reward for getting down to the weight that you want. A vacation, new clothes???
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people find success in truly thinking about the reasons they want to lose weight. It's easy to say 'I'm sick of being fat, I want to be thin' or 'I know I should get my weight down to be healthy' but those statements don't really hold a lot of weight.

Let me give you an example: when I was a student I was observing a great dietitian with a very difficult patient. The patient swore that she wanted to lose weight and had 'tried everything' to get there. When the dietitian took her history she discovered that the patient was skipping breakfast and lunch (because she had a hectic job and 2 small children), snacking heavily and eating large amounts in the evenings. The patient insisted throughout the conversation, despite the number of solutions offered that she just did not have time to eat these meals. In the end, frustrated, the woman became angry and said that her job was very important to her and she wasn't going to sacrifice it for anything.

The dietitian asked if her kids were important to her (of course they are!) and she said they were the most important thing. The dietitian proceeded to ask why she was sacrificing the years her kids would get to spend with a healthy Mum for her job. At this point I felt quite sorry for the patient because she really broke down in the room but she admitted that she had been putting the wrong things first and found true motivation.

Sometimes finding that deep-rooted reason for yourself can be a huge motivation.

Good luck!
  • ana70
    Options
    thanks for that, it helped.:bigsmile:
  • eleanorrachel
    Options
    I was once 250pds and now I am 215pd. I lost the weight by making small changes and reducing portion size. I am looking to lose about 50 more but feel stuck at 215pd, I am 5 "4 and size 18. I just got a stationary bike but so far just look at it. Where does one find motivation? If I could buy it I would, but can't seem to find momentum to achieve more weight loss. Does anyone here find motivation from any particular source?

What i use to help me get on the bike is TV. If theres a program i really want to watch or i realise im just sat watching TV doing nothing I try to think to myself, i could be doing this on the bike. I think cycling in front of the TV is great cause it can make it more enjoyable! Good luck with your weight loss :)
  • mkwade7380
    mkwade7380 Posts: 37
    Options
    I get find motivation in my family. I want to be around for them long down the road. And the only way for me to do that is to keep pushing myself. Yeah my mind and body tell me one thing when I am working out but I have to ignore that. I have recently started believing in this quote "Never give, no more excuses!"
  • Koshie
    Koshie Posts: 61
    Options
    In your post you speak of your motivation that is being lost but you never spoke about your passions?! Is your weight hindering you enjoying your passions? For me it is. I have battled with my weight since i was 7 yrs old. I get short of breath when I walk bc of my weight and that prevents me from enjoying the outdoors, bird watching, and taking walks on our nature trails. So my motivations come from what I want to start doing again. Think about your passions and see if you have enjoyed them lately

You also said you lost weight by making small changes. Well keep doing those with your bike! If you’re watching TV, then get up and bike during the commercials. By the end of the show you could do about 15 minutes. Watch two hr long shows and you have your work out.

Keep Up the good work, your doing fabulous!

Koshie
  • judithsimons
    Options
    I have a bike also. Watching a show that I have on the dvr that l want to watch is what i use to get on the bike. Just get on the bike and see how far you can go in the hour it takes to watch the show. I was doing it everyday, but i slowed down to at least 3 times a week. go for it. if i can do it, then you can do it.
  • badgirllaughing
    badgirllaughing Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I found what helped me the most is goals. Goals that you are accountable for. The first goal I did was join a contest at my gym. The big Loser. It was for eight weeks and the winner got money. I am living pay check to pay check so I treated it like my job to go to the gym and it worked. I lost 25 lbs in 8 weeks. My team won and we each got $500!! Now I am signed up for a half marathon in August and have to train until the big day. I continue to eat healthy and watching portion control, writing down my food. Now I just realized that the more weight I lose the easier it is for me to run. The weight is starting to steadily come off from simply eating healthy, making sure I stay around 1700 calories (I got tested for what my basic metabolic rate is). I also take different classes at my gym in order to discover what other activity I like. Amazingly enough, I like kickboxing even though its extremely hard. I am also trying spin class. My next goal once I can finish the half marathon (14 miles) to do a whole marathon (21.6 miles). I figure I can do this one step at a time. i am starting to feel amazing, more confident with each small stride I take. I hope this helps. I have lost more then 28lbs in total. This is just from Jan 1, 2010. I have actually lose 61 lbs in total so far :)
  • ana70
    Options
    You are doing well! I hope I can do the same. My 35 pounds melted off quickly just by stopping going out for fast food all the time and grocery shopping instead. But I have hit that plateau. Now I got to step up. Cleaning more days a week will help. thank for the advice.